1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says "definitly no" to starting pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Well they’re picking hof’ers so

2. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Exactly. You can’t judge whether a guy is gonna be great based on what schools he played. If he got it then he’s got it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nor does playing against lesser competition somehow make your opportunities for NFL success doubtful. My response was in response to your comment above in which you seemed to be casting aspersions at Pickett because of the perceived lesser competition he played against in college.

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    According to this about 1% of the players drafted over the course of 20 years became hof caliber players. 37% did nothing. 20x260=5200. 1% of 5200 is 52. So 52 hof caliber players in 20 years

edit forgot the link

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/4/26/23042105/nfl-draft-pick-bust-rate-remains-very-high#:~:text=The results, which are based,didn't make the team.

5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I disagree. It’s not perceived lesser competition. It is lesser competition.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph mostly played against guys who are now out of the league during the preseason. Trubisky was playing against starters. Even then, Rudolph really wasn't better than Trubisky, who also has a much better track record in the NFL. It wasn't some mystifying decision. It was an obvious one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett isn't a small school success story. The ACC isn't the SEC, but it's not the MAC, either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not to mention that Pickett actually played higher competition at PITT than Ben did Miami of OHIO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Let's not act like the SEC is a cradle of QB's league. It is the TOP football conference in CFB and develops just about every position but QB. Guys like Manning are exception and not the rule. Tua and that kid at Bama today may help change that image, and with Texas and Oklahoma set to join, that may help change it as well. But I consider a kid like Burrow more of a OSU kid than LSU, even though is best and really only year of playing was at LSU. Top end talent can be found at other conferences, the same way busts can be found from the SEC. It happens. The biggest leap between CFB and the Pros is the mental game. It really doesn't matter where he played.

Who's to say what Pickett will be when he touches the field. At this point he has the same chance of being a more athletic Drew Brees as he does the next Mitch Trubiski or Paxton Lynch. I'd like to lean more the former with Pickett. The only way we find out is when he actually takes meaningful snaps. At this point, we have nothing to lose if we found that out against the Jets or after the bye week. I'm not sure why @strummerfan is saying that Pickett isn't Aikman, Panning or whomever, because those players weren't HOF players before they had their shot to snap the ball. Hell, those two weren't even Pro Bowl players their rookie seasons. Aikman was downright horrible his first three years. Emmitt Smith was still in college Aikman's rookie year and that OLine strummer mentioned wasn't totally apart of that 89 team either.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

This is a debate on where the Steelers are and what they should do at quarterback.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get what you are saying, but it does matter where a guy played. It just isn't the only thing that matters. I also don't understand the logic of considering Joe Burrow an Ohio State guy since he barely played when he was there. Burrow is an SEC guy. That said, most of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL did not play in the SEC. That includes Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert. I'm focusing more on the young guys because Rodgers and Brady have been around long enough that some things shifted in college football.

I would have no problem with the Steelers making the change now. Trubisky made more sense for what the Steelers thought they were going to be, a running team with a great defense. They aren't that right now. The point came up in the video I posted. They need to make better use of their receivers. They need to open up the offense and Pickett is the better fit for that approach. It could be a complete disaster, but the current path isn't much better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I tend to think that the Steelers can be a downhill running team. They just got to commit to it more. Najee has had 10 carries (Cinci), 15 (NE) and 15 Cleveland. That to me isn't good enough. Especially if we want to give our defense some sort of break. I'm not against opening it up, but we also need to be more efficient in the balance. As a team, the Steelers averaged 4.7 ypc against Cleveland. So if we have Najee getting 20 carries per and Jaylen getting another 10-15 per game, I think we can start to get some identity. This OL is starting to gain some traction. The biggest key, regardless of who's the QB is converting on 3rd down. 1 of 9 is just leaving the defense out to dry.

And I know power running is a "thing of the past," but the Browns just beat us up with the run and there's other run first teams in this league (Titans and Ravens). It's something we got to commit to due to not really having a franchise QB, nor a QB that's dependable at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    FIFY

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't disagree that the running game could be more effective if given the extra workload, but the crux of that approach is establishing an offense that is well-rounded enough to sustain drives, whether that's picking up normal third downs or overcoming the occasional penalty or negative gain. Harris and company won't be gaining 4.7 yards every time they're handed the ball, especially if defenses continue not having to respect certain elements of the passing game.

Right now opposing defenses can mostly their ears back and bum rush the backfield. A vertical passing game will counter that. The team has all the receiving options they need to establish one, but Pickett appears to be the QB more likely to incorporate the reads, throws, and rhythm needed to best make use of them.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Mitch can't see the field.If Tomlin don't make a change,he has a major problem

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Some might enjoy Fake Mike Tomlin this week. He had me laughing hard. Pretty funny stuff talking about which QB will start.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    This is very good info. Points out that the Steelers have abandoned the middle of the field in passing. They ignore Muth the whole game then found him twice in the middle of the field when it was to late to help with the outcome of the game. Thanks

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I would t say they ignored him. They used him more as a blocking tight end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not compared to the competition Josh Allen and Ben faced in college.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Y’all crack me up. You keep bringing these people up as if they’re the norm.

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    And how did that work out? He's one of the best receivers we have. He needs to have more targets in order to open up the field.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Are we in the post Bradshaw Twilight zone?

24. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012

• Like Like x 2
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s making a stupid decision right now. Smart people make mistakes, too.

• Agree Agree x 2