1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tomlin question

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 29, 2013.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Neither do I. Haley has plays that are based on much shorter routes. I've not looked it up yet but had actually thought about this but I think today might have been the most deep shots ever taken in a single game under Haley. Haley tries to establish the run much more than BA did. Ben isn't under NEAR the pressure in Haley's system that he was under BA. Are you telling me that if BA would have had Bell that Ben wouldn't have been sacked as much as he was under his system? Are you honestly trying to tell me that?

2. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, Tomlin is loved by all his players. They'd die for the dude! In every interview after week 4, each player praised Tomlin for keeping his cool, and keeping the team from exploding. Was it Tomlin's fault they lost to the Raiders bc Pryor got loose, or Suisham missed 2 fgs? His fault for all the injuries, Haley and his issues, AB stepping outta bounds, the age and condition of this defense, and whatever else you can remember? Exactly! All you can ***** about is some time management! You cut Tomlin tomorrow, and no less than 10 teams kill themselves to get him. Tomlin is one of the best coaches in football. Period! Some of you just like to talk and type.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll agree to disagree on the Haley/Arians debate. I think the Haley/Ben relationship is starting to gel and they've finally found an arrangement that implements Haley's effective schemes and keeps Ben's gray matter engaged.

4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes.

I'm sorry but he's the HEAD COACH. He's responsible for the performance of the football team. The reality is that it is his fault. It just is. It may or may not be fair but that's the reality of the N(Not)F(For)L(Long). Head coaches get fired every season for the reasons you mention above. Thankfully, the Steelers ownership is not knee jerk (see Cleveland Browns) and Tomlin will have an opportunity to turn this ship around. But one thing's for certain, MEDIOCRITY is not the STANDARD that we're looking for and it's his responsibility to get us out of Mediocreville. If he can't do it, he will be held accountable!

5. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Bell seems like he is going to be a great all purpose back.I love Ben throwing to him out of the backfield.it adds a dimension Arian's never had,so yes,I'd believe bens sack totals would have been less.and Ben has finally learned to toss the ball away more often.those sacks weren't all the offensive lines fault.surely you remember...

6. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Bingo! The steelers have a team,even without pouncey,better than most of the teams in the playoffs.IMHO,of course

7. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Yeah,lol.Thats why great talent keeps leaving,they love tomlin.obviously you dont listen to the steelers radio broadcasters.otherwise you'd know things aren't as rosy as you wish they were.

8. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Btw....Tomlin's clock mismanagement probably cost the steelers another sb win against green bay. Last drive with mass confusion on the offense he took a timeout home.I'll never forgive the fool for that.I can accept getting outplayed,but in that sb and countless other games we got out coached.I'm not used to that after being a fan for 47 years....you might be...I'm not

9. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm a bit curious, since you've been a fan for 47 years did you react to Bill Cowher's down years like this or Chuck Knoll? Cowher strung together a couple "losing" seasons, were you down on him then? And please don't give any excuses for Cowher if there are none for Tomlin.

I really don't know what some of you folks want except for Cowher to return. Well that ain't happenin. So who ya gonna get to replace Tomlin?

10. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Actually,for the qbs cowher had,I believe he did an amazing job.he was a defensive coach and allowed his staff to do THEIR job.cowher was a great motivator,same as Noll.I do believe he screwed up kordell.guy had quite an arm,but was asked to do too much.I lost respect for cowher after he played Ben in that game against jax after his appendectomy. I didn't think his heart and head were in it.when the news of his wife came out later,I understood.until that point,cowher had his teams prepared and they were having fun while motivated.no one can deny the blast they had getting Betti's to detroit.,on bens arm.and it continued to the next sb over Arizona.then tomlin made it "his" team and the motivation,fun and preparedness was gone.bens role was gone.would I like cowher back? I didn't,but I wouldn't mind now...,or someone like him that played his team the best way possible with what he had.any number of coaches could have had better seasons than tomlin with this team.you agree the steelers are better than the Bengals,ravens,chargers,possibly the chiefs? Those teams have something the steelers dont.....sideline expertise....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    And btw....neither Noll or cowher had the talent tomlin has had for so long.Noll couldn't have let swann or stallworth or Harris go.not like tomlin has let Wallace or Holmes or Harrison go.the depth wasn't there.

12. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Can't give any excuses for someone having a job they aren't qualified for. Rooney mistake and pride gets in the way of rectifying it. We all lose..

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am sorry but this argument pisses me off. the pats get the easiest schedule every year and have what amounts to at least 5 or 6 wins every year. the easiest division in football by far I think. I kills me to say it but he has one of the best qbs to ever play. I aint saying he sucks but they haven't won a title since they got caught and haven't won one since we have

14. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Dude, the players leave for money! Are you serious? You think the coach is why they leave? As for some of the other arguments, we are talking about this year, not the SB a few years ago. Let it go along with all the Cowher talk as well. I absolutely loved Cowher, but saying he didn't have the talent Tomlin had for " so long" is a little over stretched. Noll and Cowher had some lean years, but Cowher had tons of talent, especially in the mid 90s with Lloyd and Greene and company. Using some of your logic, Cowher should've won 10 Super Bowls. Tomlin has had pro bowl players the last few seasons, but not at every position, and def not this year, other than a few. You don't think Tmlin is a good coach, go look at the Texans, and what happens after injuries. Lost the last 14, along with inner fighting, and several injuries, and Kubiak got canned as he lost his team. That's the difference! Tomlin kept it
    together when NOBODY, including you, thought they would make the playoffs, so blame the guy all you want, listen to all the talking heads, and live in the past, but the Steelers issues lie with the players they have , not the head coach.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Ever heard of the salary cap era? :roflmao:

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Ridiculous statement. :facepalm:

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    What "great talent" has left? Wallace? OH you mean the guy that didn't have NEAR the season AB had? Or Mendy? OH you mean the guy that didn't have near the season Bell did? Or James Harrison? OH you mean the guy that didn't have near the season Worilds did? Yeah we just keep letting these future Hall of Famers walk while the guys that we keep break the records of guys that ARE in the Hall of Fame.:facepalm:

19. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

Calm down there BFT!:lolol:

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It may "piss you off", but it's true. Belichick and the Patsies play the schedule they're given. How many "easy" games have the Steelers lost during Tomlin's tenure? Games that everyone agrees the Steelers should have won? Tomlin also has one of the best quarterbacks of this generation and what has he done with him? Two 8-8 seasons the last couple of years and getting Tebowed the year before that, that's what! He's wasting some prime years of his franchise quarterback! I saw yesterday that the Pats have had 13 consecutive winning seasons, 9 more than the next closest team which was the Pack I believe. I loathe the Pats, but the fact is that they know how to win and Belichick knows how to get the most out of his players.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm perfectly calm dude. LOL. It's just when I see such statements I feel the need to drop a logic bomb on them.

22. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I hear ya but sometimes those "logic bombs" fail to get thru!

23. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As if 8-8 & 6-10 hasn't been in the Burgh before Tomlin

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah Steel I think Jack has a point because regardless of schedule it is just really hard to win games in this league. It is an extremely competitive league. Also even though the Pats may play what is a relatively "easy" schedule they almost always come to play in the playoffs. The same broncos team that beat us got the crap pounded out of them the next week by the pats. I'm not saying that I lay ALL the blame on the coaches for that loss. I really lay the blame on the coaches for letting Ben play in that SF game when he was basically on a peg leg. That was just dumb I thought. In a situation like that Tomlin should have taken the bull by the horns. I really feel like Ben's ankle injury that year was what ultimately done us in.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well there are just some things you can't fix.