1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin never had a losing season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jack LHambert, Jan 16, 2022.

1. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    When you put Spillane on him that is poor coaching

2. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They ran out of popcorn AND fireworks

Attached Files:

3. Bib

Bib New Member

Dec 27, 2021

Nice use of buzz words. Bravo. The evaluation of his body of work is this. 3-8 since the 2010 AFCCG. Including 5 one and dones to rival Marvin Lewis. Never seems to have the team prepared as far as game plan, adjustments. Horrible in-game management. Worst challenge coach around. He's not a leader. Which is why the nuts run the nuthouse.

4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well thanks to the extra game and added 7th seed Wildcard, unless a team is atrocious, Steelers can sniff the Playoffs again soon.

That may keep Tomlin here forever!

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The change in results happened when the game was out of reach. Roethlisberger did take some shots down the field in the first half, too. He just couldn't connect on them due to tight coverage.

The gunners got out of their lanes on the 48-yard return. Sorry, but that's bull**** to put that on Harvin.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Ah, I see you think you know everything going on behind closed doors, too. We've got another fiction writer here.

I have no problem with the criticism of Tomlin. I do have an issue with anybody arguing that last night was the one game to use to evaluate him. They were playing a team with much better talent, especially at quarterback, and a damn good opposing coach.

If you want to argue that the team should make a clean sweep and send Tomlin on his way along with Colbert and Roethlisberger, I have no issue with that take. I wouldn't mind the team doing that at all. It's not going to happen. This team overachieved. Coaches don't fired for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Spillane wasn't the one who blew the third-and-20. It was Norwood.

8. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    39 1st half yards

Back to back 75 yard TD drives in the 3rd vs primarily man defense ie not playing soft zone (which came in 4th).

Sorry, 150 yards on 2 drives in no huddle is more than 39 yards in 7 drives running RPO BS.

Harvin outkicked the coverage. 3 second hang time punt that travelled 55 yards. Come on. You give Layne one more second and Hardman has to fair catch.

:facepalm:

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think it would take for Tomlin to be sent packing? You mentioned Reid as a good coach and I agree with that. But the exact performance in Philly that we've seen from Tomlin over the 5 year period got Reid fired. 0 playoff wins and 2 of the 5 without even sniffing the postseason. Why is it bad enough to get Reid fired from a team with less of a winning tradition but not Tomlin from a franchise that measures success by number of Lombardis?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were down 28 at the start of both of those drives. You don't think that affected the quality of play by the Chiefs? If so, you really don't know what you are talking about.

So now you went from insisting that Harvin outkicked his coverage all day to focusing on that one punt. Seriously, you are going to throw out your back carrying the goalposts around that way. Hardman was going to get a good return on that punt, but it went 48 yards because the coverage team had guys getting out of their lanes. They gave him the sideline.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you really think dragging a team this flawed into the playoffs is the kind of performance that should get a head coach fired? Putting it in full context, I can see wanting Tomlin gone. I thought they should have done it years ago, but it isn't all that outrageous to keep him, either, despite what some folks here think.

12. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    What makes you think that this game was the tipping point against these coaches? If anything , last night was the culmination of everything that has been said and once again proven to be 100% accurate. I dont care if KC was the "far superior" team, thats BS and you everyone that has said that knows it. Tomlin is a bad coach, he has bad coaches, he has to take the blame, he built this!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Sounds like you are saying that this season is some kind of anomaly. I think it's just more of the same thing we've seen for the past 5 years. A good coach would have been better prepared for this day and not just keeping the seat warm.

14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh I’m far from delusional and I’m not saying I want Tomlin fired. But why is it that some have a deep aversion to blaming Tomlin for anything? It’s like this…when the team doesn’t perform and fails in the same manner consistently over time, IT’S THE FREAKING HEAD COACH’S FAULT! It’s delusional to keep giving Tomlin a pass for EVERYTHING!:facepalm:

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is not BS at all. Look at the two offenses last night. The gap in talent is massive. The Chiefs have a very good offensive line. The Steelers have a terrible line. Kansas City also has better receivers, but the real advantage is at quarterback. Roethlisberger is a shell of his former self. Mahomes is arguably the best in the game.

Of course, you aren't interested in logic and reason. You just want to vent all your anger on Tomlin.

16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Tomlin Fan boys will never see a flaw in him for reasons I really can’t explain. I mean he does have a tremendous regular season winning percentage.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, it was an anomaly. I think Tomlin did a much better job coaching this team than he did with his other recent playoff teams. Based on their talent, especially when you figure in Roethlisberger's decline and the loss of Alualu and Tuitt on defense, they had no business getting this far.

You asked what it would take to get the team to move on. I'm not sure because the Rooney family doesn't like to fire head coaches, but this wasn't it.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I repeatedly called for Tomlin to be fired in 2018. Tell me again about fanboys.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it goes far beyond one game though. I’m not on the FMTI bandwagon, but these types of performances have become far too commonplace during Tomlin’s tenure as HC. I get that we were overmatched against the Chiefs, but we certainly weren’t against the Browns last year and Jags a few years back. How many games have we lost over the years that we were heavily favored to win? Tomlin IS responsible. By the very nature of his title, HEAD COACH, he is the most responsible. I don’t necessarily want him fired even though I think his shelf life may have expired, but I cannot understand those (not you necessarily) that always want to make excuses for the guy.

20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Tomlin has always had Ben and even this crappy version of Ben since the elbow injury will be better than what we have going into next year. I got a feeling the mirage of Tomlin is about to be exposed for everyone to see. When you don’t have a franchise HOF QB the old we do what we do and don’t worry about the other team nonsense will be interesting to see.

21. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I blame Tomlin for not having a good game plan in the playoffs. I also blame him for poor clock management, in-game adjustments, incompetent coaches, and sticking with underachieving players.

I can't blame him for Pouncey launching snaps 7ft in the air over Ben's head or for Ben deciding to force passes and throwing tons of ints in the playoffs.

That's a I'm saying.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    You mention Noll. Can you see Tomlin going into a players meeting and saying that the reason we aren’t winning is because most of you suck (to paraphrase Noll, lol) and won’t be here next year? Sometimes I think being a players coach is overrated. Tomlin is described that way. Noll never was.

23. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    So the anomaly was Tomlin's coaching performance this season ? OK maybe I can agree with that. But the end result was just more of the same thing that we've seen for the past 5 years. I agree that the Rooneys won't fire him and until he moves on, whether voluntarily or not, I don't see the results ever being drastically better than what we've seen over the past 5 years. Probably worse.

24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I gotcha. But well coached teams minimize mistakes. And when mistakes occur, as they inevitably will, they find ways to overcome them.

25. Bib

Bib New Member

Dec 27, 2021

Sounds like I got under your skin. You can keep your head buried in the sand. Doesn't matter to me. But if you paid attention to player and former player interviews over the last 10 years, and the culture, you'd see where the problem starts.