1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin needs to quit or be fired

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 3, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    well thought out.

you said it a few times - like it or not, on Tomlin. I don't like it. I would have removed him years ago.

that is where we part ways, respectfully.

some our our HEAD CASE problems are precisely BECAUSE OF Camp Tomlin.....

that, and our Coordinators have been well below par for years. Kenny is not trade bait - no one will want him. We swung and missed. Post HOF QBs can be hard, see the Post-Bradshaw years....

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This statement doesn't put Tomlin in the positive light you think it does. We're worse this year than last year, and last year we were awful!

Based on a few signs of life last season, most of us on this board expected a 10-11 win season. Still possible, but highly unlikely. And 9-8, 8-8-1, or 8-9 is not going to cut it. We're not moving forward. We're on a treadmill at best. But we really appear to be backsliding.

This season, by any measure other than lucky record, has been a failure so far. But... let's see if he can right the ship for the home stretch. If not, goodbye.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Love it when the Mods speak the truth!

4. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I assumed that was sarcasm so I rated it hilarious. Tomlin has no defensive acumen either. He is acumen-less.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  5. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    This is Jeh's life. Either bashes poster or the 6 year-old equivalent of "First!" by saying "We looked". Yes, yes, we get it, you need to be seen, even if you have nothing to add.

Is there a way to ignore his posts? I haven't read one in 2+ years with any substance.

6. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    Yeah, I question that as well. Tomlin will ride this right into the ground, walk away with a big buyout and blame everyone around him and then write a book "The standard is the standard" which is widely panned as fiction and reclassified as a best-selling horror book describing his hundreds of coaching blunders.

Afterwards, there will be a conspiracy theory around AR III and what Tomlin had on him that kept him from firing Tomlin over the past 10+ years.

7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I have no issue parting ways. (difference of opinion)
    I also disagree on Kenny. We won't get a first but there is a trade there - I smack on know a team right now.

I'd also throw some caution out there.
    One can find themselves is coaching hell, I know it so very well. (Washington)
    It also applies to QB's which I do agree with you in that it is tough to find one.
    That too can be an endless stream of garbage (again, Washington)

To define my position;
    Tomlin has been around a while.
    Unlike Belichick who might be leaving the Patriots in great position to rebuild - $90 mil in Cap space, great draft position.
    (I happen to think he will be back)
    Tomlin would leave us with around $7 mil in cap space and probably ok Draft positions.

I don't have a quarrel with him leaving.
    Tomlin will be snagged somewhere really quick if he wants to continue.
    But then comes the real pain. Hope everyone is ready.

8. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    It’s time for a new HC, just don’t renew his contract

9. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I agree but it's painful now. What is the downside if we have several years of losing seasons trying to build a team that competes. What's the difference of being 9-8 vs 6-11 if the 6-11 results in you getting to where you want to go much more quickly. People can tolerate losing if you believe you are on the right trajectory to your stated goal. We had a HOF QB and haven't gone deep in the playoffs in years so after 15 years perhaps a new young guy (and for those that love Tomlin he was a new unproven guy) coming in and beginning his 15 year run!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

real pain.......or real OPPORTUNITY.

take a look at some of the GREAT SUCCESS stories of younger and newer coaches in the league. We KNOW what we have now. and it stinks. it could be worse, for sure - but what are you saying - keep him till he dies?

Come one man, he is done here.

Done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    his message is stale, and his message was his biggest asset. if some desperate team wants to pick him up good luck to them.

12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    No, I don't advocate that at all.
    He's going to give up probably sooner than later.

Yes, we could hit the jackpot.
    I'm nowhere near as anxious as you are though.

Tomlin's current contract expires after 2024.
    I'm going to say that 'firing him' is what I'd call 'short-sighted.'
    So, when I say 'sooner than later' above, I'm figuring he's hanging it up after the 2024 season.

I've seen 'trade him' comments on here.
    There are working parts to a trade, we all know that.
    1. They would have to trade him this off season.
    2. He's going to have to want to coach the team the trade is made to. (New contract)
    3. And of course, there has to be a team that wants him.
    As I see it, those are the two logical choices; Trade or wait till after 2024.
    I am good with either.

13. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    It appears that you may have skipped school or caught the short bus.

14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Who knows. There is humor and then there is putting others down to build yourself up. Perhaps his sarcasm doesn’t translate well in forum vs. live and in person. Often that kind of humor works better when you see the delivery and the person is smiling or whatever and then you know it is not mean spirited.

15. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I would rather trade him and get something for him. Plus this year a really good candidate like Bienemy might be available.

16. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    He'll quit after the season or get fired if we lose Thursday night. If he doesn't, it's just 100% proof that he'll move on when he pleases.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The question the Rooney's need to answer is can Khan and Tomlin dig us out of this mess?

18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I agree wholeheartedly here. Tomlin has never struck me as a guy you want over-managing the X's & O's, definitely more Jimmy's & Joe's, and there's nothing wrong with that. But, like I believe you've mentioned in the past, Tomlin seems to like having coordinators he can push over. Not sure why. A good coordinator can be respectful while at the same time as an expert in their area hold their ground if their boss tries getting too many fingers in the pie.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think our OC position is truly a great opportunity to sell as the "Next in line" HC. Bring in someone young and talented that is stuck behind a coach that is primed for a long tenure and tell them the OC spot it theirs, and they would be the "next in line" HC after Tomlin's contract runs out after the 2024 season. We can keep Austin at DC since he hasn't really done anything to get himself fired, but he would likely be replaced when the OC becomes HC. He will put in place is own coordinators and build the team from there. This way we don't completely change house and do a complete reset all at once.

Granted, I am still in the "fire Tomlin after this season and go another route" camp, but our current situation could put us in a really good place to turnover seamlessly. This would be the most coveted HC position in the league whenever it becomes available... I think the coordinator jobs would be highly coveted too due to the long tenure of our HC and an opportunity to put yourself in contention for the HC job. We can certainly spin it a lot of different ways.

20. VanIsle

VanIsle Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Since their last Super Bowl appearance, 13 years ago, the Steelers have fewer playoff wins than the Houston Texans.

Since the beginning of the 2021 season — a span of 46 games — the Steelers are minus-116 in point differential.

Since the beginning of 2019, the Steelers have been outscored by opponents in four of five seasons.

Tomlin does have a losing season, the playoffs where he is 8-9.

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ....and you think this has substance?

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I got news for you, Tomlin will probably get an extension this offseason.

23. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Andy didn’t do $hit till they lost their way into Patrick, same with Bellichek. You do realize we are in the first wildcard spot right?? They lost a twice delayed rain game in which they lost the starting QB, last remaining actual inside linebacker and their best O-lineman. Maybe the Chiefs will fire Andy cause he is one game ahead of us and are the reining SB champions! We can hire him or the Browns, Chargers, Bengals or the Patriots coach after they fire them. Andy Reid didn’t suddenly learn how to coach, he got a top QB. Any coach that does not have one struggles. If you think Andy Reid could win with KP, you should look into you’re own medical recommendations.

24. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If he does not, 10 teams will be in a bidding war to get him.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He will either:

1. get an extension

2. traded

There will be no firing or lame duck year.