1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin needs to do this

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ballhair, Dec 26, 2011.

1. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  3. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Too funny. For every post like this I've seen and read tons of other posts where the poster claims Tomlin's a great motivator but a poor Xs and Os guy. I wonder which one it is ? My guess is like most good coaches his strengths outperform his weaknesses to some extent in both areas or he wouldn't be putting a winning team on the field just about every year.

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Quit complaining about our coaching 11-4 tells me we have a good organization from the top down.

Anyone want to be a Stains fan instead of a Stillers fan?

5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  6. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    A team takes the personality of it's coach, in Tomlin's case I find a head coach who away from a microphone or press confrence is average at best. Tomlin has taken ownership of a prebuilt team, and none nothing to improve but has maintained it. The Steelers are undicilpline and the players who under Cowher would rather dig a hole and cover themselves up a midfield than face the rath from Cowher on the sideline, now its seems to be the norm of so what? How many penelties have resulted in stopping drives?

The O line has not been improved and a frinchise QB is being beaten into a short career, while Tomlin says "Thats Ben being Ben".

The Steeler struggles continue to score touchdown in the red zone, no improvements under Tomlin.

Running game a joke, without O line improvements the running game struggles, any team with an above average secondary who can eliminate our passing game will effectivle shut down the run.

Poor clock management in 2 games this year.

What I see is a team who is 4 years removed from the influence and accountability under Cowher and has taken the layed back blank stare lack of emotion style of play of Tomlin

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You make some valid points. A Pats post is interesting because in a way, the teams have the same issues in that they have been good almost every year hence they draft near the bottom ever year (If not for the stink out loud season in 2003 we wouldn't have gotten Ben) As the old Virginia coaching icon Chuck Noe used to say, "You can only coach 'em up so much."

8. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    You make some valid points. A Pats post is interesting because in a way, the teams have the same issues in that they have been good almost every year hence they draft near the bottom ever year (If not for the stink out loud season in 2003 we wouldn't have gotten Ben) As the old Virginia coaching icon Chuck Noe used to say, "You can only coach 'em up so much."[/quote

You brought up another point I didnt add concerning the Tomlin Steelers.....Fundamantal football hasent been taught or stressed in Pittsburgh since the days of Chuck Noll.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, who is that Pouncey guy, anyway? Bring back Justin Hartwig, he was just as good!

I'm not saying it's the best line, and it is in need of improvement. But you can't ignore the problem of injuries this season, nor the fact that most of the penalties comes solely from Kemo, a guy who was subsequently benched and has only been brought back in because of injuries. The new o-line coach made some big steps last season.

And - Ben's current injury was entirely down to Ben being Ben.

10. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Why can't the Steelers cut down on turnovers?...I blame coach Tomlin. this is crazy...they have had a turnover in almost every game beginning with the playoffs last year

11. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with Thigpen here.

Yes, the offensive line needs improvement, but I don't think that's as much an issue of coaching as it is talent. We just don't have the pedigree on the offensive line to be a dominant running team against good defenses. We have to be balanced offensively in order to have production in the running game--in years past under Cowher, we could line up against anyone and have success with a run dominant game plan, but we just can't do it now.

What we can do is throw the football pretty consistently against teams. No one has seemed to be able to stop our passing attack. Strangely, the teams that I think we struggled the most with throwing the football against are teams with no chance of making the playoffs: Jacksonville (second half) and Kansas City. However, I think both of those teams have good secondaries and/or good defensive coordinators (Crennel in KC for sure) that know how to make it difficult for us; and Tomlin said as much after the KC game. But I don't expect trouble from the vast majority of defenses in the league versus our passing game. And I think you have to credit the Steeler coaching staff for playing to their own strengths.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I only bye the "Ben being Ben" talk so much. At some point, the coaching staff does need to bear some of the responsibility for issues such as penalties, lack of depth, undisciplined play, and etcettera. I understand that this coaching staff has a winning record and has won a Superbowl. However, perhaps by addressing these issues, they could have won 2 superbowls by now and not missed the playoffs in 2009. I do believe that had Ben not comeback so soon in 2009 following the concussion, the team may have won a few of those 5 in a row that were lost. It just takes time for a player to fully recover from a concussion. If the coaches aren't seeing what they believe is the players true performance, such as Ben in the Monday night game versus the 49ers, than they should make the call that is best for the team. This of course is subjective, they will say that they made the call they thought to be best for the team. Had Ratimore played this past Thursday and lost with the 2 seed out there available, Ben would have played.

Given all of that, I sometimes wonder if we are predicatable on offense because of an ego created by success. Earlier this year (I can't remember the game, perhaps against the Titans) the Steelers came out with quick throws and a solid game plan. They put up a solid game play against New England. Maybe versus inferior opponents such as Kansas City they didn't want to show all of their tricks. Go out, run on 1st, pass on second with 1 back, pass on 3rd with an empty set. Second series, go deep. If it works, keep going. If it doesn't try the bubble screen and another deep pass. Come playoffs, put together a drive that they haven't put on film yet. Perhaps, perhaps.

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think there's any coach whose perfect?Coach T. has good qualities and bad ones.For the most part though,He's a good coach that WILL win another Championship soon.I would take him over at least 30 other head coaches out there.(Just my .02 cents.) GO STEELERS :clapping:

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Whose the 1 you wouldn't?

15. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I can't answer for him, but for me it's Sean Payton. He wouldn't be able to contribute to the defensive gameplan the way that Tomlin does, but unless you're convinced that LeBeau is senile, he can handle the defense, and the offense would be so much better with Payton. I think that BA could be a successful and consistent coordinator under Payton. The Saints like their "big chunks" and high volume of pass attempts, too.

I'd consider Mike McCarthy from Green Bay, too, though he's kind of a flavor of the week. After the Saints lost to Seattle last year, I still thought this about Payton. If the Packers get bounced by the Cowboys, perhaps, in the divisional round, I can't justify going with McCarthy. Dennis Green had a 15-1 team with a ridiculous offense that failed to win the Super Bowl, too.

That's what it looked like in 2008 against the Chargers in the playoffs. If that's how BA wants to run his offense, that's absolutely maddening, but if he can consistently win in the playoffs with -- not in spite of -- the offense, then perhaps he's quite a bit better than we think.

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    tomlin is a top coach. that is not even a question. take drew brees away from the saints and peyton looks average.

17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wish I knew as much about you do as Tomlin to claim he is an average coach at best.

People need to stop living in the past by referring to Cowher. Cowher wasn't perfect and faced a lot of criticism from this fan base. I don't believe players were afraid of Cowher's wrath.

Seriously, how much more can a team improve outside of being a SB contender? Spoiled, complaining Steelers fans fail to keep this in perspective.

Done nothing to help improve the team? I believe he's had input on many of the draft picks this teams had over the past several seasons. The defense had one of the franchises best statistical seasons ever in 2008. Special teams coverage seemed to improve. 2 minute offense improved. Not going to break down every aspect of the team. People that fail to see some of the improvements forget, remain focused on the negatives, or refuse to see improvements. Tomlin isn't perfect. There's not one coach in the league that's perfect.

I believe the red zone offense will only perform as well as the QB and offensive line. The QB remains an inconsistent enigma. The offensive lines been riddled with so many injuries that it's a wonder that they can perform as well as they perform at times. It seems they've had a different starting Oline just about every week.

This team's face a lot of adversity this season. Finding ways for a team to win games under various circumstances is the sign of good coaching. I believe the coaches should be commended for putting together a winning play off caliber season. That being said, the story of the 2011 season is still being written.

A teams 4 years removed from Cowher that is 11-4. A team that has as good a chance as any team to win the Superbowl. I really don't know how Tomlin keeps his job being such a horrible coach.

18. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Tomlin needs to take his hands out of his pockets. Posture is key and with his hands in his pockets whether it be his sweatshirt or pants is a sign of him being inhibitive.
    STEP UP! BE DEMONSTRATIVE!

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Is this like letting the inmates run the asylum? Please Coach T step up to the plate and lead.

20. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    LOL!!!!

21. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    :amen:

Couldn't agree more. Near the end of Cowher's career he was getting lambasted by the fanbase as well. There were talks that he had "lost the team" and that they were no longer listening to what he had to say. He wins a superbowl in his penultimate year of coaching and suddenly that notion seems ridiculous.

I do not understand the criticism that Tomlin takes from this fanbase. He wins, and that should be good enough for everybody. Everyone is so interested in style points and thinks that the Steelers should beat every team 42-0. 2 Superbowls in 4 years...and we have people complaining that he's not emotional enough on the sideline? Seriously? You don't think the Patriots would rather have 2 superbowl trips in the past 4 years instead of their high scoring, juggernaut, regular season offense they've fielded? I think they would. We need to enjoy what we have while we have it, folks.

22. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    :amen: :this!:

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I wanted Wiz as the coach when they hired Tomlin. I got one thing to say.
    THANK YOU MR. ROONEY FOR NOT ASKING ME TO HIRE THE NEW COACH!!
    I am glad Coach Tomlin is our coach.
    Coastal OUT!

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I found the youtube clip really enlightening. I hadn't seen it before and while it does answer alot of questions for me about how interactive Tomlin is with the team on the sidelines, it did raise more questions about how he handles Ben. I mean you can hear him clearly saying over and over again to get rid of it and yet he doesn't address that with Ben? He tells Ben to keep himself clean or he is getting pulled, meaning don't take the unnecessary sacks and hurt the team. Ben response is I only know one way to play coach? To me that says to me that you have lost control of a teaching situation and now you have to make do with what you have. Personally in that situation I would have pulled him and kept him helathy same way as I would have during the Niners game when it became clear that he just wasn't as effective as he could have been. But that is just me.