1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Keeping Offensive Starters In Game Late In Blowouts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelTerp, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes sir.. Some people around here dont like it when you say it but I feel like there is a bit of truth to it.. He is one tough SOB but he does kinda like the attention. If you hurt your ankle I don't see how you could or want to run off the field. Boot was more likely for the press then anything else.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    See the thing is....most on here don't give a damn about any other team...

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is a drama queen lol. serious

4. bnasty23

bnasty23 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Mistake, cause the fans wanted Ben out the game. If you go back to the game thread tell me the score when fans started saying how much an idiot he was for keeping started in the game. I was looking for the thread about how starter should have played a half of football against the Brown's after we clinch the 3rd seed. So I guess he was an idiot and that was a mistake too. So tell me what decision was correct. Imo we sat started in a non important game we won. We played started in a playoff game we won. I will put my money on both wins. Beside maybe ben will stay in pocket next week and hand ball to bell more. That's a working formula or he will learn in a game as you say we had won with the whole fourth qtr to be played just throw the ball away and he would not got hurt. He is a 100 million dollar qb he can't protect himself with all these rules about hitting a qb? One more thought Packers won 38-13, so is the Packer coach an idiot or made mistake too, the have the Cowboys. BTW the Packer lose a wr and rb. I am looking at NFL network who is talking about Aarons being MVP and best QB

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I saw what happened, Wake beat AV and grabbed Ben and instead of Ben just going to the ground he tried to run out of the grasp and thats when he just lobbed the ball up for grabs and since he was running his foot bent back pretty severely, the question is since it was just run out the clock time why wasnt it a running play called to just run the clock??? And Ben had no intention of coming out of that game, he wanted to bask in the glory until the last tick on the clock, i'll sum it up by saying he has a pretty severe ankle sprain from the angle I saw his foot being bent back, and thats why he was in the boot, furthermore he will be in very limited practice this week if at all in my opinion......

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't question Tomlin for leaving Ben in. I do question the play calling. With an 18 point lead, with over 4 minutes to go, on a 3rd down and long, run the ball, and it would be D-will running it not Bell.

Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Steelers were up by 3 scores with just over 5 mins left, the game was over take the starters out!!! If all you're going to do is hand the ball off, then let Jones and DW take care of that. Genius Tomlin at it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yep, more dumb. Stuff like this happens too much around this team. It's why I'm no fan of MT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't have a problem with Ben in there, especially at the 10 minute mark when fans were calling for the starters to sit. Imagine if Landry threw a couple pick sixes, this space would have exploded.

Should have handed the ball off, that was the problem. Or throw it away but definitely do not scramble trying to make a play. Thats Ben though, that competitive nature is what makes him so great, hard for some athletes to shut that off.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    my problem is ben doesn't play as well on the road normally and doesn't play as well when he doesn't practice fully during the week. now throw in the part about playing injured which he doesn't do as well either and i believe MT would rethink his decision. i could care less what GB does with rogers. thats up to them. MT has to not be bens cheerleader and be a coach that does whats best for the team and his aging vet QB. it's less about x's and o's coaching ability and more about making smart coaching decisions. i'll bet he wishes he had this one to rethink.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the 10 minute mark was a little different than the 4 minute mark. quit trying to put this on jones. he's thrown less picks than ben has and i don't think it would have been smart for them to have LJ slinging the ball all over the field at that point. MT screwed up plain and simple. it could cost us a season. we shall see. :cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I bet he doesn't and not one former player that I heard speaking about this agrees with pulling him.

Blaming Tomlin for a practice that is not followed by anyone else, is a little silly. Just because its our team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The play call is my issue and I don't care whose call it was. They are clearly an idiot. I don't care if Myron Cope came back to life and was handed the play from The Chief himself who then handed it to Chuck Noll who then handed it to Mike Tomlin who then told Ben to run it they are all idiots. The play was that stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Who's putting it on Jones??? I support him all the time but what do you think the people who were calling to sit Ben would have said if Jones came in and messed up?

He should have less picks then Ben, he's played a fraction of the time :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well only a certain amount of teams have franchise qbs and only a certain amount are in the playoffs in round two. following what everyone else does won't separate us from the rest. at this stage of bens career we have to start playing it a little different than most. he's taken a beating over his years, hes older now and gets hurt more on routine sacks as of late. those can be eliminated. :cool:

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You don't justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior and two wrongs don't make a right. LOL! I really wasn't sweating Ben being in there but I really despise the play call.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm talking about his last few starts. if they let LJ lose that game at that point they should all be fired. :cool:

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Wexell reporting on Twitter that Ben is not in the locker room today. A day normally used for those requiring medical attention...fwiw

• Like Like x 2
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Well, they won 5 of their 8 road games this year, I think thats a pretty good winning road record.................

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bad decision by Ben to put himself in harm's way, competitive fire or not. Extending plays is fine....when you are losing the game or if the game is in doubt. Not when you are leading and the game decided. If the staff wanted to leave Ben in or not, or if Ben refused to come out, then Haley/Tomlin should have reinforced the notion to Ben that running the ball was a must or throw it away. You don't continue to pass. Bad decisions all around.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i never said it wasn't. i said he doesn't play as well on the road. he doesn't play as well injured. he doesn't play as well not fully practicing. add all 3 together and it will be a struggle. thats all i'm saying. i never said we couldn't win it. :cool:

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i never said it wasn't. i said he doesn't play as well on the road. thats not some new revelation. he doesn't play as well trying to play hurt either. thats also not new. he doesn't play as well when he doesn't fully practice all week either. i'm just saying we have a triple whammy going into KC. i'm not saying we can't win but we could have eliminated two of these whammy's. :cool:

23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Tomlin's attention to details has cost us plenty of wins over the years. Leaving Ben in there was a perfect example of this. Tomlin was so happy to be kicking butt he lost focus of the big picture. Just plain common sense.

Our ST's play is another example of Tomlin's inability to focus on details. That unit is sloppy and NOT buttoned up. It's an embarrassment and has clearly been ignored by our HC. Which is why I would not be shocked to see it ultimately cost us a playoff game. This team mirrors Tomlin's personality. We play an intense style of football, but lose focus quickly, often have a hard time getting up for games we should win, make stupid penalties often, and struggle to control our emotions at times. I was shocked that we did not get one penalty for celebrating yesterday. Anyone who wasn't surprised is lying.

The KC game is going to come down to whether or not we beat our selves. Turnovers and Special Teams. If they can exploit either we are in trouble. KC can run the ball, they can score, they can play defense. They boast a league best +16 turnover ratio. The way Ben has been taking care of the ball, this scares me to death. I hope we use the same recipe as we did vs the Dolphins. Pound the ball and score early. Beating the Dolphins was up to Bell and our Defense. Beating KC will be up to Ben.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What celebration warranted a penalty?

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

None . I believe that is his point. Nobody did any crazy ass dancing to get a penalty

• Agree Agree x 1