1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin impressive on ESPN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Nov 21, 2020.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

So if the 9-0 Steelers hypothetically take on the 0-9 Jets and have the 8-1 KC Chiefs next but go into NY and lay an egg then go into KC and blow them out you wouldn't consider that being defeated in a trap game?

I get it. This is the NFL and all players and coaches are there for a reason but it doesn't take away from the fact that some teams suck and other teams are great. Call me stupid all you want but you refusing to see a trap game for what it is just might be completely idiotic.

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No. I don't believe in trap games. That's talking head stuff.

Teams that have bad records or lesser records have the talent to compete. If they can compete then they can win. That's how I view every game regardless of a team's record, stats, ect.

3. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Trap games for you but not for me. We can just disagree on trap game hypothesis.

Every team has the talent and coaching to compete. If you don't believe that then you haven't been paying attention over the years.

4. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Players that take the opposition lightly can get their *** handed to them.

Maybe the idea of a trap game is just an excuse for a loss?

5. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I, for one, appreciate all the talk about the Jags game being a "trap" game in the media because its likely to keep the players' heads on a swivel and make them more aware of the situation and not play into that said trap.

Although I don't understand some of you that seem to be complaining about Tomlin's comments especially if you also complained about the "Unleash Hell" comment. It seems you are intent to complain no matter what he says which implies bias and which will inevitably lead to your opinions being ignored.

As to whether trap games are a real thing or not... not sure doesn't seem well defined enough. Does the "trapping" team have to have a certain win/loss ratio or certain perceived level of talent? Does the location of game, weather, time of year and injuries factor in? Is it only a trap game if the "trapped" team lost simply because they failed to mentally and physically prepare for the perceived inferior team? If that's the case we could only call it a trap game for sure after the game and even then it is difficult to discern if that is why they lost or not. Hard to tell if a turnover or failed assignment happened because of lack of preparation, a good play on opposing team's side, or simple mistake on our team's side and could that mistake happen in a game against an equally matched or superior team.

That said its obvious I'm putting too much thought into it and I don't think arguing about it is of any use. We know what people generally mean when they say "its a trap game" the only thing to argue I suppose is after the team looses in a trap game, figuring out what exactly lead to lost the best we can.

6. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin stated he doesn't believe in trap games like I don't. He knows that every team in the league has the talent to compete. If those teams can compete then they can win.