1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin impressive on ESPN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I rarely if ever listen to any press conferences or spots on TV of coaches, but I am glad I saw this one on ESPN.

When a reporter mentioned trap game Tomlin said---

"Every time we step into a stadium, we're playing professionals, players and coaches. We've got a ridiculous level of respect for that. "Write your story, follow your storylines about trap games and things of that nature. We understand what we're going into in Jacksonville, that that's a group that's trying to kick our butt. A professional group, capable group, and we're preparing with that understanding."

If that doesn't cool off their fire nothing will. Talk about extinguishing bulletin board material.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...not-big-ten-team-playing-mac-opponent-jaguars

• Like Like x 5
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Tomlin is a very intelligent man, and he has learned some valuable lessons over the years. That quote is a far cry from the reactionary "Gonna unleash hell" fiasco", isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They were talking about this the other day and how some fans and sports writers take the phrase "we are always going to get another teams best shot" as arrogance both from the team and us fans yet it isnt arrogance it is fact. Any time you have a team that is looking to rewrite its current fortunes they want to knock the bully down and that is what the Steelers are, the bully. Not in a bad cheap shot way but in that physical impose your will type. If you can out physical the Steelers you have arrived.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tomlin and Ben are on a mission

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hope that’s the message he really drives into his players head because it doesn’t always seem that way, like the Dallas game.

Definitely seemed like they thought that was going to be a cakewalk.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Seems like i heard him say that b4, :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :sleepy:

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    --I don't know about the players but it sure went over well with the ESPN panel.

Anyway, the reason why I posted this was a couple weeks ago some guys in the bar were discussing the coach. A little less negative than usual. [maybe]

Someone said they wondered who is coaching the team? It just seemed different [better] in a number of ways. I had to agree!

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He ALWAYS talks like this...Then usually gets beat, WTH you been lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    He just said this about Dallas, and almost lost

• Like Like x 1
  11. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I get more scared over these games against 1-8 teams on the road than I do playoff games with this team.. How bout just go out there and beat this team like a dumb for once like your supposed to

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    You must be really scared then.. Because we've only won 3 playoff games in 10 years

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He can believe all that if he wants but there are definitely trap games in the NFL and he has fallen victim to several of them in the past. Probably just trying to save face with that statement.

I will give him kudos so far this season and last but I would like to see his team go and beat down the Jags tomorrow and prove who the better team is with a statement game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank god that nonsense seems to have dried up. Hated hearing stuff like that because it was such BS

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No. You are just one of those individuals who doesn't believe. There are no such things as trap games at the professional level. Especially in this day and age where every team has the talent to compete. If teams can compete then teams can win.

Coaches and players are paid a lot of money to win games. Current and future job opportunities are on the line. Millions of dollars are on the line for many players and coaches. Most times players and teams give their best efforts to win. Regardless of a team's record, winning feels better than losing. Take the opposition lightly and teams can lose. Teams fight hard almost every week to win. I am not sure WTF NFL people watch or pay attention to anymore? People that stay stuck on uninformed will remain uninformed. it seems to me that if people witness something enough then that means it is possible because of different factors. People that stay stuck on stupid will remain stupid.

What we would like to see a lot of times doesn't happen because the level of talent between teams isn't that great, players make mistakes, and the other teams get paid too.

16. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Tomlin was talking about taking them seriously. Ben was talking about taking another week off from practicing :/

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    One of those we really should have lost! Thank you stupid Bengals players!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's Tomlin laying the groundwork for his excuse when his squad goes in and underperforms by playing down to the competition. As someone mentioned earlier, Tomlin is a smart man. We've seen this before many times. Cue up the Mike Tomlin apologist fanboy club to start whining and beeyotching about this real talk. But alas, I'm not a real fan because my steelers boner isn't as big as yours. Maybe after 14 years, he is finally figuring out how to scheme using the talent he has and coming up with the right game plan for the opponent. But hey, even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its not December yet :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Seems there is a lot of stuff out there talking about something that doesn't exist (according to you). There are trap games plain and simple. When a team that is heavily favored loses, there are reasons for that. Call it what you want but the term trap game come into my mind. If the players don't execute the way they should because they didn't think getting a good nights rest because of who they were playing, or not practicing as hard because of who they were playing, or scheduled that week to do their commercials because of who they were playing, etc, etc, etc, that becomes a game where the opposition wasn't taking seriously and that to me is a trap game. People who call other people stupid are usually the ones that are stupid. Also, not all teams have equal talent unless you think Tom Brady and our Duck give each of their respective teams same opportunity to win. Nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Typical coach speak 101. Nothing new here, move along. What else is he supposed to say?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    So then his point was proved. Every week you play professionals that may beat you. Dallas almost did.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    3 in 10 years.. one was a backup QB, one was Alex Smith led Chiefs ( still not great ) and one was the Cinci led/ Pacman/ Burfict game...

Not Impressive at all... Moreso considering the talented teams we had! Severely underachieved!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It is so nice when we are winning and this is what we have to debate over!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Teams absolutely get up more for certain opponents than others. Players know better than anyone which teams have the most talent and those that don’t, it’s human nature to take some more seriously and some more lightly. It’s the coaches job to keep players laser focused each week.