1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin has lost the offensive side of the team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 18, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

blame the woke DEI culture - you are what you eat

• Like Like x 1
  2. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    To be fair, this is kind of hearsay. It’s Rich Eisen relaying what he says TJ said, it’s not a direct quote.

That being said, it does track with some of the effort and execution we’ve seen on the field.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You know what, I’m convinced all the problems in the locker room are stemming from this kid. Get rid of him.

Make him inactive for the rest of the season, see if you get a team to bite in the offseason and if not then cut him.

AB was putting up HOF numbers at least when he couldnt be controlled anymore. WTF has this kid done. Kick him to the curb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Pete Carroll is finding a way to and he's like at least 15 years older than Tomlin

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow. Look at that lack of effort. My god. How is that being tolerated by the coaches? How did no one get in his face and tell him to actually put forth some effort. That's embarrassing for this franchise.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    .....and they need "mental health" days!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And he does that running behind a seasoned vet in Robinson who shows him exactly how that drill should be run. He just doesn’t care. Out there collecting paychecks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
  9. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    upload_2023-12-20_12-1-27.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Does anyone think Tomlin may be struggling because of the generation gap? Does he lack the ability to motivate younger players because of the change in generational values. If it is, it’s going to be a problem for the Steelers ownership as well because we have always been an old school team. Imagine our coach doing stupid commercials with players.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Two things, funny hearing what is a young man to me talk about the younger generation. If fans read this who are going to the game Saturday, they are probably thinking of ways to use the word "wild" to mock Tomlin.

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Andy Reid isn't having a problem. Harbaugh isn't having a problem. Pete Carroll isn't having a problem.
    I can go on with a much bigger list. Every team has young players, every one of them. This generational crap is an excuse. If a guy isn't practicing hard, chew his ass out. If that doesn't work and he continues not to practice, he doesn't play. It's simple. It's called accountability, and there's absolutely none on this team.

I'm no NFL coach, but I can guarantee I would do a far better job than Tomlin is when it comes to accountability. We might be worse off in the short term without Pickett, but I can guarantee in the long term we'd be better. His behaviour is contagious and will quickly kill a locker room. He should be inactive or playing strictly on special teams. They should actually consider suspending him for the remainder of the season

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    So do you think you understand the issue better than TJ does? And how would you enforce accountability? Make them run laps? Bench them while you pay weekly game checks? Release them and be stuck with $100 million in dead cap money. Tell us how you would bend the will of these professional players. Not your kids youth team, I mean players that the owner has millions of dollars invested in?

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    If you don't practice hard and don't play hard, you don't play. Yes, I would absolutely bench Pickens.
    I have no idea what TJ Watt thinks. All we have is what Rich Eisen said that TJ Watt said. He didn't even quote him. It's not like TJ Watt released a statement sharing everything he thinks. So don't pretend you know what TJ Watt thinks or it's somehow different than my understanding of it

Pickens would not be playing if I was coach, and I think there's plenty of NFL coaches in the league that also wouldn't play him. Belichek would have shipped him out long ago. He shipped out many other players, including star players, because they weren't 100% on board with what he wanted.

I don't care what Pickens makes. He would not be playing. Without accountability and repercussions, some people will do bad ****. This is really simple stuff. You're clearly implying we should do nothing because Pickens makes a few million a year. That's working so well for us...

15. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    When is the last time Harbaugh or Carroll won a Super Bowl? And Andy’s problems are just starting. Make no mistake, Belichek is going through the same thing. If you don’t think generational issues are a thing, never take a position of authority or management. There is a world of difference in managing a man who served in Vietnam and a guy living with his parents till he’s 30. Players want Deion not Parcells.

16. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    You’ll play who the owner tells you to play. He will tell you to do what you need to do as long as that player is on that field Sunday. They don’t pay to watch them sit, this is big boy ball.

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  18. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    What part of AB do you not understand?? So Tomlin couldn’t deal with so Bill could? No. Gruden? No. Arians? No. All the same idiots on here blames him on Tomlin.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This. I think Shaner is simplifying the challenges of coaching today, especially where money is involved and an owner that may not give a crap about character concerns and only cares he has a lot of money invested in a player.

20. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand it fully. AB was a head case but a very talented one so he got more chances than he should have, more chances than most other players would have. He was still traded and released though, by several teams. The Steelers shipped him out for very little. The Raiders cut him. The Pats cut him. The Bucs cut him.

If Pickens doesn't want to practice and play, the same thing should happen to him

21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    No, you guys are just making excuses for bad behaviours and acting like there's no solution. The money invested in Pickens is a sunk cost. Whether he plays or not, he's getting paid the same. Pickens is literally hurting this team. Wins = money. Pickens is not helping us win.

When Chandler Jones wasn't completely on board with the Patriot way, Belichek shipped him out of town. Chandler Jones was an elite pass rusher. Those guys are hard to come by. I'll side with the guy who won 6 SB's, including 2 (or was it 3) after shipping Chandler Jones out of town. That doesn't get into the other players Belichek benched or traded.

If you tolerate this crap from one player, other players will do the same thing. This stuff has literally been studied by professionals. Peer contagion is a real thing. Bad behaviour is contagious. Money doesn't change that. Human behaviours are predictable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Deactivating Pickens for AT LEAST one game should be a no-brainer. I would do it for the remainder of the season. Sure there are complexities with today's player that maybe Chuck Noll didn't have to deal with. But there should absolutely be one constant and that is if you let your teammates down ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD due to a lack of effort, then your butt should be on the bench! Period! End of story!!! It's like a Soldier or a Marine turning their backs on their comrades on a field of battle and should absolutely not be tolerated under any circumstances! If Pickens plays Saturday, Tomlin has failed to lead yet again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I think we are debating but not disagreeing. I’m not defending Tomlin in this situation. I’m simply suggesting why it may be happening. They may need to go with a different guy to move forward. I guess im saying Tomlin hasn’t forgotten how to coach, he is struggling with how to communicate with younger players and that may not be correctable. I assure you Noll, Landry and Grant would struggle to even get a job coaching in this era. You think Ditka would be able to yell and scream like he did? They are all over Payton for chewing Russ the other night. It’s just different now. When I was in my basic training 40 years ago the DI would put hands on you. Now you can ask for a “time out” during basic training and talk to an advocate. Soldiers are still good, they are just handled differently.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not making excuses, go ahead and bench him, I just don’t think it will work. You’re clinging to an outdated thought process that won’t have any effect on some of the youth today. If you can’t see Pickens is a head case you’re lost. You are just completely dismissing what TJ is saying.

I think they have to get rid of Pickens, benching him won’t do Jack ****.

25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't seen any articles complaining about Payton yelling at Russ. I have seen articles trying to figure out what it was over, but nothing criticizing Payton. Not to say they don't exist, just saying I haven't seen them.

Pickens may be uncoachable. Sure seems like it. I'm not saying anyone can reach him. All I'm saying is it needs to be dealt with. I don't know what Tomlin has tried so far, but I know what he hasn't tried, and that's sitting him. If Rooney overrules him and says Pickens must play, then so be it. I very highly doubt that has happened or would happen though. I don't see Rooney forcing Tomlin to start Pickens. I just think Tomlin is easy on guys. He's not a disciplinarian. Never has been. That can work, but in this case, it's blowing up in his face.

Like I said, studies have proven this stuff is contagious. It needs to be dealt with or it will get worse.

• Agree Agree x 1