1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin has lost the offensive side of the team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Changed the title of the thread because the focus shouldn’t be on Eisen and what he said about Steelers fans but about what he spoke about in this segment which is pretty big, IMO.

This is really interesting, some things to unpack in here. The first is that Rich now gets what us Steelers fans are talking about.

More importantly than that is Tomlin has lost the offensive side of the ball. Rich doesnt come out and say so in those exact words but that’s the gist of it. The defense responds to Tomlin but not the offense. The locker room is split and TJ saying it’s wild to him that players aren’t responding to Tomlin and don’t even want to practice is a big problem. This makes sense given the fight between Minkah and DJ. Basically the offensive side is immature young “kids” that don’t know how to take criticism and the defense is older and from a different era who respond to Tomlins style of coaching.

Would like to know just how much of the offense does this encompass, Pickens obviously, DJ, Muth, probably. I have to imagine it’s more than that or you could fix that easy enough, jettison those guys in the offseason.

I think this also highlights the need for an offensive minded HC. Or at the very least a real OC. These players know they aren’t being put in the best position to succeed, that frustration has finally bubbled over and you get what you are seeing now. Quitting on plays and tuning the HC out.

Going to be interesting to see how Art moves forward on this.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    In Ben's early years it was interesting to see just how good we'd be. that was good interesting. I agree this is going to be very interesting to see how they attempt to get out of what could be worse then the 80's. I worry about the financial side for a small city. I worry The Steelers will emulate the Pirates spending wise. I worry for all small market teams with current economy but hope may be coming, I paid 2.95 for a gallon of gas today.:)

3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    So the Steelers should keep Tomlin because Watt likes him?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He was saying the young guys on offense should take Watts lead because he is on a HOF path. They are being a bunch of children.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Don’t worry. The NFL salary cap comes with a salary floor. They must spend at least 89% over a four-year timespan. They are not hurting.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin is an average coach. Seems like a good guy and I think he could be successful with a team full of veteran leadership and two strong coordinators. He was in Pittsburgh under those conditions. He hasn’t done himself any favors, however, by talking the talk but not walking the walk. He talks a good game but we hear the same tired cliches week in and week out without any real change. His bark is worse than his bite and that’s proven when players like George Pickens and Diontae Johnson give up on plays, fail to block and then cop an attitude when they don’t get the ball.

Tomlin is allowing this type of behavior and when the other players see that there’s no consequence it erodes their respect for Tomlin and impacts their overall effort as well. If one bad apple spoils the barrel then what do multiple bad apples do. I think Tomlin has lost the team and lost some respect. One way to start rebuilding his credibility (and I’m dead serious about this) is to deactivate George Pickens for the final three games. No excuse whatsoever for that guy letting his teammates down the way he has. It was such a dichotomy to watch Jaylen Warren, the guy who puts forth more effort than nearly anyone on the team not named TJ, fight for every inch to try and score with Pickens standing there and skipping like he’s jumping rope after putting forth zero effort to block his guy! Absolutely infuriating! :frustrated:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I hear ya! I only paid $4.40/gal today at Costco!:dancing:

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    offense, defense, special teams, coaching staff. :shrug::cool:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I would say he has lost the Defensive side as well but that side is probably more about lack of talent (Wallace, Peterson) and injuries. I will say Ogunjobi needs to go. No excuse for his lack of production this year. A bad contract and wasted money. Go pick up Seiler from Miami 6’6” 310 lbs with six sacks.
    Would be cheaper than Ogunjobi.

Honestly the offense has less holes to fill in my mind excluding the QB position. The coaching is bad across the board on both sides and in every way.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Other teams are not having these problems, at least not tot he extent we are. Lots of other teams have young immature players too. Poor plays exacerbates issues, but there's plenty of other teams losing as well. Tomlin lets guys manage their own behaviour. That clearly isn't working. it's his job to manage people as the head coach. More than anything else, he sets the culture and manages people. He's not doing that. He's letting the players set the culture and he's not managing them.

If they want to continue to act like children, then he needs to treat them as such. Bench their asses or make them inactive. We are losing with them, we can just as easily lose without them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    That’s why he exactly needs to sit players at a minimum this next game. Pickens, DJ and Friermuth all need to sit for attitude issues. Friermuth can not block and his effort absolutely sucks on blocks. The position absolutely requires your TE to block.

I would entertain sitting Moore, Najee and our Center. Not for lack of effort but simply for lack of talent and see what we have as backups.

same with Wallace. I would like to see Rush out there and see what he has. Benton should be starting over Ogunjobi period. I’m not a fan of Ogunjobi at all. He gives up a lot of inside runs and gets single blocked often and provides little in the way of pass rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Lack of player leadership is a big problem on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, only the players can solve that problem.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  13. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    That leadership problem starts at the coaching positions and trickles down from there. I think it really started getting out of control in the last 2 years of Bell and Brown. Been all downhill since then as far as discipline and team maturity go since them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You follow other teams that closely? Everything is rosie with the Panthers? Commanders? Patriots? Belichick is probably getting fired. Panthers already fired their coach. Point is teams with losing records probably isnt smooth sailing.

Not sure benching these guys is going to work. Listen to the Rich Eisen segment I posted, Tomlin is at a loss to what is going on with the players, Watt saiid it is wild some players arent responding. The answer might just be to get rid of the troublemakers and do a better job finding team players.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He hasn’t lost the defensive side. Just listen to Watt and Minkah talk, they are still playing for him. It’s the offense.

16. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    This is one of the reasons he has lost the team. Warren is clearly out-performing Harris right now but Harris continues to be the starter and get most of the carries. So, by his actions Tomlin is saying that it's more important to be liked by the coach than to work hard and perform. That sort of mixed message, coupled with no accountability for guys like DJ, Pickens, etc. yields the team we see today.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Look, if you're a player on offense and Canada is such a horrific OC that is ruining your ability to make big bucks and the HC stubbornly sticks with the OC, how would you react?

All leadership starts at the top most leader. In Steelers case, the topmost leader simply doesn't hold anyone accountable. Therefore, what we have here was inevitable.

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    IDK man. This is just much worse than my game day hot takes been and that's what I even felt was hyberbole at times. JFC

19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Not to worry there. The NFL uses a profit sharing plan in their CBA that allows all teams the ability to spend the same amount on player contracts. Currently all teams must allocate 48.5% of their appropriated league revenue to player costs, namely benefits (health insurance, pension plan, disability, etc.) and salary. The whole calculation is complex, but after the revenue is divided to the 32 teams and benefits are calculated, the remainder of the 48.5% becomes each team's salary cap.

As doubleyoi mentioned, the CBA requires teams to spend at least 89% of their cap over a four-year span, and the league as a whole 95%. So the CBA not only ensures that each team has the same amount of revenue to spend to the cost of its players (ceiling), but also that they spend a certain portion of that amount on them (floor).

Everyone is on their own for gas though.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin can't lose something he never had.

Rich Eisen is a clown.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Part of the "team" is player acquisition.
    It's tough to stand in front of the mirror and take a brutal honest assessment.
    The Decision was made to keep DJ - They gave him a contract in hopes it would make him happy, it hasn't.
    They drafted Pickens, a good talent but has a head problem.
    They kept Matt Canada 2 years too long.
    etc....

Some of the blame goes to that group, the GM's.

Our offense lacks a real leader. Kenny Pickett is showing signs of it yet has to step it up another notch.
    He has to hold the guys accountable in the huddle. If they cut the route short, or run it sloppy, he needs to sound off about that.
    Peyton and Tom really let you know....

But it takes more, normally the center is a leader among the line as he calls the blocking. I'm not seeing anything special there.

The Offensive Line coach should set the tone for his unit and if his unit is underperforming Tomlin should be in his face.
    I'm just not seeing any of this. It is like Ad-hoc.

One of the things I think Tomlin is not good at is: recognizing when an upgrade (coach) is available, go get him.
    He's too loyal to his guys it seems.
    He's also too loyal to players... I always admired Cowher. If his top player screwed up on a play, there was no sneaking off the field at the 10, Cowher was right there in his face.
    You don't have to do that, just let them know. That was just Cowher's style.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    TJ may find it wild and Tomlin may be at a loss, but somewhere in the distant past I hear the voice of Chuck Noll saying “the reason that you’re losing is that you’re not very good”. Pretty simple.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you flip flopping? So you think its talent and not coaching?

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we will see how TONE DEAF Art is or is not, in January. I have called him a fool for while - my words will be confirmed or denied soon enough!

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lost them against the Colts.

Yes they have TJ Watt thank goodness but he can't play every position like Bugs Bunny did. And Minkah has absolutely disappeared this season sans when he has been injured but at least he is calling out players that don't give there all. Heyward is a teddy bear that really says a lot of nothing and tells everyone on the outside to shut up and does no critiquing.

Highsmith has done a disappearing act. Adams? Has to go. Ogunjobi has regressed. Peterson should not be back next season.

I like the fire in Nate Herbig. I'm hoping that Porter Jr. can get away from being grabby.

They have the same issues with the secondary and scheme, the run defense specifically the defensive line is getting gashed.

I know I know injuries. But when you lose to 3 back up QB's and your supposed to be the strength where all the money is being spent the defense needs some tweak's and upgrades.

Austin needs to be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1