1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin has done a good job this year.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Dec 26, 2017.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    What has impressed me about Tomlin this year is that he has brought the team closer together as a football team and as people. With all the stuff that has gone on from the win over KC in the playoffs last year, AB's Facebook Live stunt, ALL the distractions in the off-season, and what has gone on in season, I have been very impressed with Tomlin's body of work this year.

I like how the team is doing what it takes to win, even though the style points aren't always there. They have overcome several challenges and they should be battle ready for the playoffs. I also like how this team seems to be improving as the season progresses.

The 2005 Steelers team had a bunch of good football players and several "characters" on that team, with Bettis, Hines, Porter, Polamalu, etc. This team also has a bunch of good football players and number of characters in Bell, AB, Smith-Schuster on offense, but is missing that Porter-type on defense. Maybe Heyward's play will inspire the whole defense to play with a chip on their shoulder.

The playoffs are going to be very competitive this year. The NFC is going to be fun to watch, 5 teams already with 11 wins. The AFC is slightly weaker, but Jacksonville and Kansas City have proven they can compete and beat the top teams in the conference. If the Steelers can play up to their talent level, I like their chances. If it comes down to X's and O's or replay, I am somewhat nervous. This season has been fun, but still to be determined how special it becomes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Tomlin has done a great job for the last 10+ years

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Tomlin is consistently underrated and overrated all at once by teammates and the media.

He's underachieved at times, but he's a really good coach who deserves way more respect than some people (especially Twitter LOL) gives him.

Glad he's ours.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He has faced a lot.

1. Your franchise HOF QB states "if there is tomorrow." after the AFC championship game loss. There was the drama.
    2. Leveon Bell turning down a good offer, by the Steelers, then misses all of Mini-Camp, Camp, and then signs the tag at the last minute. There was that drama
    3. The entire team minus your former veteran Army LT, stays in the locker room avoiding the National Anthem There was that drama.
    4. Your star best in the league NFL WR, tosses a water cooler in a on the road win against a team you have struggled with, because he isn't seeing enough balls his way. There was that drama.
    5.Your year long drug suspended WR calls out your new rookie sensation WR on social media. There was that drama.
    6.Your lost your Pro Bowl ILB to a spinal injury. Won't call that drama, I will just call that a down right sad moment and it still is.
    7. Lost your rookie sensation WR for a questionable blind side crack back block. There was that drama.

You had the QB say maybe he doesn't have it anymore after a 5 INT game.

You got royal screwed by a dumb catch rule to beat a team you can never beat.

All along the way to 12 wins more than likely 13 wins.

I will say that he's done a good job.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    #3 - an interesting spin you put on that one. They didn't "avoid the National Anthem", they were avoiding drama of someone on their squad potentially kneeling during the national anthem so as to remove it from the conversation.

#7 - wasn't really questionable. Per the rules, it was illegal, and should have been called. And although they said it wasn't about the taunt, I truly believe it was the hit + taunt that got him suspended.

But I will agree, even though I give Tomlin smack about his time and timeout management skills, he has done a good job this season. I just hope it translates into something beyond the AFCCG.

6. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Yeah not trying to get politcal about the # 3. But, it was a drama situation it caused the team none the less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I like Tomlin, he was handed a great team to start with and has pretty much kept them going. Let's see how he does if Ben retires. Let's see how great Belli**** is when Brady goes.

8. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    You can say that.

But it really takes two to tango.

Every coach that people say man he was a good coach one of the all time greats, HOF material.

What did that coach usually have, a good QB.

Let's not forget that once Terry Bradshaw hung it up, the great Chuck Noll never won another super bowl.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How soon we forget. Tomlin sucks.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Tomlin isn't the best coach in the league by any means, but he isn't as bad as some people around here seem to think he is. I waiver with him somewhat, but overall, I think he's a good coach and we're lucky to have him. Especially when you look at how many turds there are about the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with this. Both coaches should be judged after Roethlisberger and Brady.

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher pissed me off. Tomlin does too. It goes with the territory. Worst loss in Steelers history is on Cowher. AFC Championship vs. Chargers. That game will live in infamy.

With that said... Mike Tomlin is a fine head coach. There's probably 29 other teams minus Seattle and New England who would love to have him.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    12-3 record says you're wrong.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. I can be very negative, but the results speak loud as thunder. The Steelers win. Period. Sometimes it's not pretty, but they win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What an awful game that was. Having Kordell throw over the middle at the goal line in the AFC Title game against the Broncos was another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    God almight it sure makes me wonder what the hell people watch from week to week if you knock Tomlins coaching. 12-3 record is huge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yet he has the best winning percentage in Steelers history.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You hide it well :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  19. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    there's literally one player left from cowher's team lol

20. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017

Tomlin is an average coach ,he just coaches the biggest frachise in the NFL,if not all sports..The expectations are always high for him...this job is too big for Tomlin..

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    First let me say that I knew I would have a backlash after this post, but I stick by my statement. Ive been a Steeler fan since 1970 ... so Ive seen them come and go. And I am black and gold through and through. And I feel like, someone has to keep us grounded and provide a reality check. Just because we made the playoffs and this teams record is not a losing one ... doesn't mean this head coach, hasn't Greatly Underachieved. We are lucky to have him? I think its the other way around. He's lucky to be the head coach of one of the most winningest franchises in the nfl. He inherited a superbowl caliber team. This team is talented enough to make the playoffs, but doesnt have a coach that can can coach them to the superbowl. From day one, he always allowed his coaching staff to do their own thing, but now, that the dick lebeaus and Arians (which I never liked) are gone...his ability to develop and make good coaching decisions are Exposed!! I could go on and on... because this is only the tip of the iceberg. I wanted/want him to succeed because one...obviously, he's our head coach and two, because he's from Va. My pic is even with his parents, but let's not forget sunday after sunday....how most of us had to take an antacid or blood pressure pill after another poor showing from this talented team. We've missed out on putting together a great coaching staff under coach tomlin ...k.greene, rod woodson, and bringing back the Wiz, The only upgrade in his coaching staff ...has been the oline coach and rb coach

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What's his playoff record?

23. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    So does that mean Doug Pederson is a better coach?

That, of course, is a silly question...

Pederson calls the plays. Tomlin would have no clue how to do that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Yep just like Brady is the greatest QB ever because he has 5 SB wins. Screw Marino.

25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We have a SB caliber roster. There isn't a team with our talent top to bottom. So I can't judge Tomlin on a 12-3 record. Looking at our schedule, did we win any games we should have lost? I don't think so. I'm judging Tomlin on how we do in the playoffs. Since Tomlin took over the steelers he's had a playoff team. So if we go 13-3 and don't win a playoff game the season is a total failure. We had a good team the year we lost to Tim Tebow, which IMO is the worst steeler playoff loss in team history....that season was a total failure.

This is a team that should be in the SB. If Tomlin gets us there I'll give him lots of credit for doing a great job. I will admit so far it looks like Tomlin's best coaching job yet... time will tell. Coaches should be judged on the talent they have IMO. Next year if someone turns the Browns into a 9-7 team he probably deserves COY consideration. If the steelers go 9-7 with a healthy Ben, Tomlin should be fired. I just don't agree with this idea that because we havn't had losing seasons Tomlin is awesome. That's just false. My personal opinion is he's an average coach that's had some good and bad seasons. It is also my opinion that a coach can improve with experience. So my hope is we havn't seen Tomlin's best days yet.

• Agree Agree x 1