1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin gets extended

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    UConn?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    nothing news if this is the case again

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This.....I guarantee whomever is the HC after He's done.....I will defend just I do Him now....just like I did Noll, and Cowher.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Sounds like a true homer speaking. Which is fine go Steelers!

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really they do??? Where was the steps in KC..lost to us in the playoffs...before Pat Mahomes......where were the steps in the Rams before Stafford....didn't make the playoffs, lost in wc, lost division, lost SB, didn't make the playoffs got Stafford....won SB. Where were the steps in NE after Brady left.....backwards.
    Where were the steps in Tampa Bay before Brady......no playoffs, no playoffs, not playoffs, and so on.....got Brady... won the SB. Did I cover most of the SB winners in the last years???
    Again the playoffs do not accumulate into SBs.
    Edit.....I forgot the Eagles.....no playoffs, no playoffs, no playoffs....won the SB.
    Yet people complain that we most of the time have a chance at the playoffs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
  7. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

The chiefs were very close in 2018 in the first year of Mahomes to make to the super bowl.They lost in overtime against the Patriots and Mahomes never had the ball.The rams make the super bowl in 2018 and they won 3 years later....The Bucs had added a 6 time champions at the QB position...The Eagles are the only exception in the last 10 years

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Big Question????
    Do You read what I write, or just scan. I covered all this......I just didn't leave out stuff You didn't want to hear, or think about. Like the Rams going backwards before getting Stafford, or the that I already said until Mahomes.....Geez....Go back, and read carefully. LoL

9. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

You ask where was the steps in KC..lost to us in the playoffs...before Pat Mahomes.

Do you know that the chiefs did not win the super bowl in the first year of Mahomes?...They make the AFC title game in 2018 but loss in a heartbreaking way against the pats

I know the Rams had a different QB in 2021 and that they missed the playoffs in 2019 and lost in the divisional round in 2020 against the Packers but in 2021, the roster still had some super bowl experience...that was my point

Of course, it is possible to go far and even to win the super bowl without success in the years before but the chances are much better if you are in the hunt very often. Nothing is guaranteed that you will win a super bowl but the chances are much better

One of the big reasons why the Pats and now the Chiefs have won so many super bowls is that they are in the AFC title game every year...The pats were 8 years in a row from 2011 to 2018 and the chiefs are in the title game since 2018

To finish with the point that DJ18Baller made, I don't think the Steelers would win the Super Bowl in 2005 if Roethlisberger wouldn't have had the experience of the 2004 playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s never a perfect correlation but there is many examples in every sport of a team improving or gaining experience then knocking down the door. STD is all about QBs and he has a valid point that is the most important position. My frustration is in the Steelers making 0 progress and the same results year after year. To me that falls on the HC first and foremost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Very nice sir

• Like Like x 1
  12. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    The common denominator with all of your examples is a franchise quarterback. You know as well as I do that they don't have one at the time.
    I get that every team has a chance if you just make the playoffs and I agree with that to some degree but there is a very real difference between limping into the playoffs with Mason Rudolph and making the playoffs with Mahomes, Brady, or Stafford.
    The good thing is though, I don't know that they need otherworldly play out of Russell Wilson to do some damage in the playoffs but they do need him to take care of the ball and not put the defense in a bind. Have to get to the playoffs first though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hey guy, I don't know much about NCAA but was President Bill Clinton a Razorback????????????????? On a phone so ain't looking up but I think he attended the Championship game. I believe he had to apologize to the country for rooting for one team.?????????????????????????? If I got wrong College, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    If your bored, read a few pages back. Some great laughs.

15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Well I'll be. I did not know that but you are correct. 1/15/2022 / AFC Wildcard / Buffalo vs New England. He didn't throw an interception that game but then again he didn't throw a pass in the game but he is credited with a Playoff win.

The one I was rooting hard for him to win was his first Playoff loss to the Eagles and the darn game was in Chicago.

16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Here you go, I tell people the Pittsburgh Steelers have been to the most Championship games of any NFL team. I tell them we have 16 of them. Needless to say they call BS and remind me we only have 6. The Steelers have been to 16 AFCCG's. All they care about is the 6 SB's.

TBH, I take private pride in the Steelers only having 3 HC's since 69. Of the above 16 AFCCG's and having made Playoffs the most times since the merger. 31. Now I take open pride in the 6 SB's.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    You make a good point. In MLB the money keeps the best the best but the NFL gives you the chance to see a worse to first type situation. Generally in MLB you can build a team over a few years. Try that in the NFL and so much can go wrong. You can spend 2-3 years getting the pieces in place and injuries, immature young men doing stupid things, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    It happens but very rare that a team wins it with a journey man QB. We all know we are a few years from hopefully having a long term QB. Obviously I'm hoping we can do it with an older now journey man QB. For a stop gap I'm glad we have Wilson but I really wanted Mayfield. I'm kind of hoping Wilson's body gets confused and goes back to playing like he did at 26-27. Just hope he doesn't throw an INT. at the goal line in SB.:sneak:

• Like Like x 2
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it is rare, but it happens. and this may be the perfect storm. STRONG TEAM around a veteran QB, TOP 3 defense..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Right on. As long as the team can stay relatively healthy and peak at the right time, they could make a push. Wilson is the engine that makes this team go and it's difficult to judge how much he has left.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He was a Razorbacks fan, but He didn't go to the university if I remember correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again....all in which ....if You go back and read I covered,,but You just have to argue, and leave stuff You don't want out. Geez

23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Yes, the ultimate goal has always been to win the Super Bowl but after that, it's also very good to be in the hunt like being in the title game or winning the playoff game regularly every year... that means that you knock on the door....That hasn't been the case with the Steelers lately..It's either being one and done in the playoffs after having made the playoffs with some help multiple times(some was unexpected like in 2021 with the jaguars) or simply missed the playoffs(3 times in 6 years since 2018)

If the Steelers are still just 9-8 or 10-7 in 2024 with zero success in the playoffs if they are there, it will be time to have a true rebuilding...It's enough to stay stuck in the middle

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yep

this 'Super Bowl win or the season is a failure' mentality is childish.

we have not been in the 'best of the best' conversation for many years.

Blame Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016