1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin gets extended

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Patriots almost always had strong special teams and that area was a huge weak spot for the Steelers that entire season. As much as anything, that cost them the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Kris Brown was just awful in 2001....I remember when he cost the ravens game at home in the regular season with 4 FG missing in a 13-10 loss.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    But Steelersfan43 won't mention that because he's a Cowher fan boy :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Coming from a guy who literally worships MT that’s rich.

Start coming up with excuses for another season with 0 playoff wins now. That way you will be prepared come January.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The 2001 Pats beat the greatest show on turf in the super bowl like I said in post 699 of this thread....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    He was proud of the Steelers just last year((in the link below) when the Steelers were 10-7 and they weren't even sure of making the playoffs when he made the thread but when Cowher lost an AFC title game to a future super bowl champion, It was awful for him!...But this is just me who is a Cowher fan boy!

It just shows how higher the standards were in the Cowher era!

I'm proud of this team | TheSteelersFans

I would have preferred an AFC title game loss at home last year against KC or another team than that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher lost AFC Championships... while Tomlin either misses the playoffs or loses in the wildcard round. Like all Steelers fans, I prefer Super Bowl victories.... but I'd rather have AFC Championship losses, than consistent one and done in the Wildcard round.... and no hope for improvement.

Steelers have either been one and done... or no playoffs in the past 7 seasons. The Steelers have become the Cowboys. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See how You did that, but You never look at both sides....it's either You have no critical thinking, or it's the hate. Example: So from these words of Yours.... it's ok that the Steelers coached by Cowher lost to NE in the playoffs because they won the SB, but the Steelers coached by Tomlin it's not ok because they lost to KC, NE, and Denver in the playoffs who also went on to win the SB. Whats the freaking difference???
    The Difference is.....I liked both HC the same, and I look at both sides....while You seem to not be able to. I did this exact stuff for Cowher when many many many people said as long as He was the HC we would never win the big game.....as You see History proved them totally wrong, and those same people after He won acted like they never said it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just don't get it.....if You don't make the SB....what's it matter if You lose in the playoffs.....You still lose in the playoffs.
    No HC says.....wow....let's win a playoff game guys....then all is well......
    Its.....win enough to make the playoffs.....then win enough to make the SB.
    As of now we are winning enough to make the playoffs, but like 30 other teams a year we are not winning enough to make the SB.
    Not saying You, but some think if You win a playoff game that means You will win another playoff game next year, and another till You make the SB, and that's not how it works....ask the Bills, or GB for example .....they win a playoff game almost every year.....how many SBs has that amounted to??? It's not like they accumulate into SBs.
    Again.....You win enough to make the playoffs, and then win enough to make the SB.....no in between.

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I wanted Cowher gone after the 2003 season. I admit and confess to this. I wanted Tomlin gone after the 2017 season. Difference is.... I don't see Tomlin getting as lucky as Cowher did with Roethlisberger in 2004. Steelers could go through a decade or two of only having average to slightly above average QBs who can't put them over the top.

I think very highly of Russell Wilson, but I'm skeptical and doubtful that he can lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl win in 2024 and beyond.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I already answered Your questions....I'm sorry You didn't read them. Go back and read

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher did more with less. Tomlin does less with more. Killer B's (2014-2018) era is an example. O'Donnell, Stewart and Maddox at QB from '92-'03 is an example. Cowher managed to get his team in a competitive AFC to 5 AFC Championships with either average QBs or an HOF-caliber rookie QB (Ben). Tomlin hasn't done anywhere near that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Here is the thing.....You didn't think it would happen with Cowher. So if You were wrong then....could you be wrong again.
    Here is my thing....of a HC keeps giving You chances.....You must stick with them....when they stop giving You a chance.....then You let them go. Only team I can remember getting rid of a HC that always gave them a chance was the Chargers.....How many SBs have they won since that time....===0.
    As long as You are making the playoffs....You have a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What??? Hahaha ha. That's memory not serving You well. Some of those Ds we had during the Cowher era were better than the ones we won SBs with since....., and We have not had a RB like the Bus since....I know people will say Bell, but We seen when Bell was the main man D focused on....while the Bus was good no matter the team, or the Qb. Can You imagine a young Bus with a young Ben. Cowher didn't think He needed a Qb.

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Say what you will about Cowher... but his playoff record is a whole helluva-lot better than Popcorn's. Doesn't Tomlin have a losing record now in the playoffs? I'm not quite sure, but I think he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again.....so what....does more playoff wins equal more SBs.....do they add up to more Sbs...do they accumulate into more SBs. They both have 2 SB appearance, and 1 SB win.
    Again....win enough game to make the playoffs(or You can't make the playoffs)...then win enough games to make the SB....no in between.
    Again....Bills, and GB win a playoff game almost every year....how many SBs has that accumulated into??? Playoff games don't stack up over years, and turn into SBs.

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The Blitzburgh D of '94 was nearly perfect until the 4th quarter of the AFC Championship vs. Chargers. One bad play and coverage allowed Chargers TE to score. The rest is history. That game should have never came down to O'Donnell to Foster in the end zone for the last play.

'95 and '97 D's were damn good, too... but without Woodson. '95 was injury... and '97 he was playing for 49ers.

I'll give you the '94 Blitzburgh D being better than '05 and '08. But '05 and '08 Ds were a close 2nd and 3rd. Big Nasty D of '01 was damn good, too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    At this point, I'd settle for a postseason win. It would at least be something to build on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    This is true for 2015 vs Denver but in 2016,the pats were hte better team but the gameplan were so poor on defense,I can't give a pass....2021,the steelers didn't belong in the playoffs...They had a very poor points differential and bottom 5-10 in almost every stats outside to sacks the QB...But I'm not going to blame Tomlin on that loss since they were overmatched like crazy in this matchup

But no excuses for 2009,2011,2017 and 2018

20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

Difference, it's only 2 teams make the super bowl per year...making the title game is still a very good accomplishment, since only 4 teams per year make it this far

Problem right now for Tomlin and the Steelers, the Steelers are one of 10 teams without a playoff win since 2017 and at least 25 head coaches have won a playoff game since that moment....do you see the difference?

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    2009 had to be the biggest train-wreck season of the Tomlin era. I've never seen a team who won the Super Bowl the year before implode like Steelers did that year. The 2nd half of 2009 was an epic melt down of catastrophic proportions. If it weren't for some extraordinary heroics by Roethlisberger and Wallace vs. Packers and a surprising close win vs. Ravens at the end of the year.... Tomlin would have had a losing season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Unleash hell.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Then someone would have a mouthful of candy and nuts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Almost everyone remember the loss vs Browns and it was awful but very few remember the loss at home against a very weak raiders team 4 days before

The Steelers were 15 point favorites in this game and they couldn't stop Bruce Gradkowski in the fourth quarter..Bruce Gradkowski....I mean it was ridiculous....It was the worst fourth quarter Steelers defense I've seen in 2009...And of course, as this is often the case under Tomlin, no sense of urgency on offense during the first 3 quarters...I can't believe Roethlisberger only had 25 pass attempts vs 27 runs for the steelers in this game:facepalm:

The loss against the bad chiefs team was awful too during this 5 game losing streak...Needed a miracle to win vs packers and stop the losing streak

• Agree Agree x 1