1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin gets extended

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jun 10, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they were good, but far from AFCCG quality.

we were what, 9 point fav's? and rested.

a classic TOMLIN CHOKE JOB - maybe the biggest of his career. and the dumbest decision with 2:20 seconds left to on-side kick the ball!

all of the COACHING choked.

players too.

heads should have rolled THAT NIGHT

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    not just Todd Haley!

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Jax loss was the biggest choke of Popcorn's career. No excuses, we had the killer B's healthy and the offense was in peak form. Worse than the Tebow debacle... since Ben was nowhere near 100% and Ryan Clark couldn't play SS because of sickle cell in Denver altitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They were a bad call away from beating the Patriots in the AFC Championship game. Facts seem to be giving you trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I guess Belichick's head should have rolled if the Patriots hadn't gotten a bad call to bail them out in the AFC Championship game.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you for contributing nothing to the conversation.

7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Your defense of the '17 Jaguars is admirable. No way were the Jaguars going to the Super Bowl that year. The refs probably rigged it for the evil empire.

Now that the Jags have sunshine at QB... they may be permitted to go to the Super Bowl.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not struggling at all. I'm presenting the facts. You are responding by attacking the messenger. Why is that?

You're also missing the two larger points here. One is that there were many factors in Harrison developing into a star after Tomlin took over, but one of them was the head coach. Further evidence was his ability to get production out of troubled and/or selfish players. Look at Brown and Bell as examples. Harrison was a troubled person. He had severe anger management issues all the way back to high school and he had at least one major incident as a Steeler.

The more important point is the double standard. If he had been a part-timer who developed into a star under Cowher, many of the same fans who refuse to give any credit to Tomlin would be giving all of the credit to Cowher.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If the game is rigged to keep them from getting to the Super Bowl, that tells us they should have been there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well the Steelers did lose Shazier in '17 and the defense was vulnerable. But that doesn't excuse the terrible turnovers at the beginning of the game vs. Jax.

11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Difference,at that time it was the 7 AFC title game in a row for the pats with a super bowl win in 2014 and 2016

12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Hard to win against the number 1 defense when your defense gave up over 30 points against a team who had 10 points only in each of their 2 previous games

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

D was vulnerable.

OFFENSE SHOULD HAVE been prepared to hang 40. they came out FLAT, and awful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

read some Thomas Sowell, maybe you will get it. facts only matter in CONTEXT.

You and I would have inserted JH when Tomlin did, it did not take a Genius HC. the FACTS are that Haggans and Porter were on a Top 1and 4 D for back to back seasons in 2004 and 2005. JH was wet behind the ears, cut by several teams earlier.

No reason to make changes.

Does that help you? I doubt it will.....

Tomlin is not the devil incarnate, never said he was. He has just hit his Peter Principle (look that one up too) - he is stuck and so are we as fans.

15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    They had no urgency from the coaching staff on offense and it was always a problem like I said in a another thread about Haley who asked Tomlin each week how many points the Steelers were going to need each week....Just look at the 5 first play of that game when the Steelers were already down 7-0...First 3 plays were screen and first 2 plays on the next drive were running in the middle to put Ben in a 3rd down and 11 in a bad field position...No doubt the Interception was bad but he was in a bad situation from the start with this conservative play calling

And just last year, Tomlin downplayed our offense's struggles in the first quarter after our loss to the Jaguars in late October by saying that games are almost never won or lost in the first quarter...ridiculous and it shows the lack of urgency when we start the games in the Tomlin era almost everytime

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You think the betting line is more relevant than the fact that they were a bad call away from beating the Patriots. That's funny.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sowell is an interesting choice in this context, but it is worth noting that you continue to rely on personal attacks in this discussion. I will give you credit for doing it more subtly, suggesting that my position is based on ignorance, but it is still a weak attempt to cover your own lack of understanding. I understand your points. They aren't that complex. They simply miss the mark.

Harrison played in every game in 2004 and 2005. He had enough experience to emerge as the star he would eventually become in 2006, but it didn't happen. Haggans was a nice player, but by no means was he good enough to block someone with Harrison's ability from rising to prominence. It is utter nonsense to suggest otherwise. The reason to make changes would be to get the best players on the field. At that point, Harrison wasn't better than Haggans because he never reached his full potential under Cowher. He did so under Tomlin.

The coaching achievement wasn't inserting Harrison in the lineup. It was getting him to develop into an elite player. That is one of the things you don't understand. The other is that you are among those railing against any attempt to give Tomlin credit for anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it's Tomlin, always was the problem, always will be.

likes to be cool and liked, but winning is not that important. well, correct that - it's back to Peter Principle. he might WANT to be great and win, but is stuck. so, THAT is on Rooney.....

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Let me fix that for You......I'm right , and You are wrong....that's the title of this song.....You will leave, and let Me shine in this glory, and that's the end if this little story. LoL :lolol::thumbs_up:

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait how is a 2 year 22 million dollar deal a 2 million dollar salary??? If it was actually a 2 million dollar salary.....I wouldn't be saying this.
    Once again.....Look at the money , and capital spent for the Qbs those two years, and then.....then...look at the Qb depth chart......do You see a resemblance????
    HC Tomlin is not paying that.....so why would He care....??? Only a few people would care, and it's this way across the NFL for most cases.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How easily people forget the players we lost that season, and the scrambling We did to fill those holes....everyone acts like the Jaguars were some suck a$$ team.....if the the refs don't cheat for the Pats that year in the AFC Championship the Jags go to the SB.....I think people forget that. People keep harping about Bortles....like He was the whole team.....I seen the Ravens win a SB with a way worse Qb in Trent Dilfer.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also what about W. Gay, Woodley, Timmons, and Pouncey.....each one of them was a big contribution to getting to the SBs....., but somehow get left out when discussing those teams

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    For the record, I did post earlier that Steelers lost Shazier and his absence had an obvious negative impact on the defense. Losing Shazier that year was like losing Watt now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I noticed You did.....after I had already posted My comment :thumbs_up:.
    My bad...I should have read further.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Answer the questions I asked a few posts ago. Don’t go off on a silly rant. Answer. The. Questions.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1