1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin gets extended

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't mind kicking a little dirt on Tomlin for not being prepared to replace Ben at the End.

Now Andy Reid put his money where his mouth was. Alex Smith was a Pro bowl QB in 2016 and 2017 the year Andy Reid made the trade up to get Patrick Mahomes. Can you imagine Mike Tomlin trading up to draft a QB with Ben Roethlisberger still on the roster???

People like Wes Uhler drives me nuts when he talks about Patrick Mahomes falling to the Kansas City Chiefs, or because they were lucky to draft Patrick Mahomes that year. Check the trade out. 2017 1st round pick, 2017 3rd round pick and a 2018 1st round pick. AND THIS TRADE HAPPENS WHEN YOUR QB IS COMING OFF A PRO-BOWL SEASON!!! Andy Reid does not get enough credit for this trade. GOAT!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Rudolph had been very good vs seahawks despite 0 TD pass....The steelers had 30 points in that game and Rudolph was one of the reason why

3. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

Exactly....When you have a chance to be much better, go for it!

4. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The market for QB is 50 millions or more now,no way Purdy will be at 30 millions only

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Why are you giving Reid credit for the general manager’s moves?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    You think Andy Reid had no say for this decision?

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Whether or not he has a say doesn’t matter. It’s the general manager’s job. Period. Andy Reid could sit there throwing a temper tantrum screaming no, but if the gm wants to make the trade it’s going to happen. Remember Mike vrabel and his star wide receiver?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

Reid has a lot more power than you think with the Chiefs.....Reid and Brett Veach (their GM) work together and when it was time to make a decision for the QB, Reid had a lot of power... Of course, Reid was not alone and Reid gave credit to Veach for discovering Mahomes but if Reid would not have liked Mahomes, the Chiefs would not have made this big trade

You don't give a big salary to a head coach like Reid if he's not involved in this kind of big decision.Same thing for the Steelers with Wilson....If Tomlin wouldn't have wanted Wilson on the team,Wilson wouldn't be a Steelers right now...Tomlin and Khan were together the first time they had a meeting with Wilson in March

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

You’re talking about things you have absolutely zero knowledge of. You don’t know the working relationship between gm and head coach. You also don’t know what Reid’s salary. Coach’s salaries are closely guarded secrets. People speculate how much they’re getting paid, but that’s all it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    It's crazy if you think that head coach who had almost 20 years experience was not involved in making this crucial decision back in 2017...Btw, John Dorsey was their GM at that time but he was fired a month later and at the same time, Reid had a contract extension....A decision at this level is never taken by a single person, you are crazy if you think that and the head coach was not involved in that, especially an offensive coach with over 15 years of experience

Reid has always been one of the highest paid head coaches since his 2nd contract with the Eagles....Elite HC like him, it's not free

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Moving up to trade for a QB is a little more complicated with a HOF QB on the roster than having Alex Smith as QB. Look how Ben responded when they took Rudolph and that was in the 3rd rd.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They knew about Mahomes for years because of Veach. It was a group effort but the fact that Veach was pitching him to both Reid and Dorsey tells how big of a roll Reid plays in selecting picks. Obviously GM’s have the final say.

Credit goes to Veach though for being first to have eyes on Mahomes.

Also, it was Mahomes tipping off KC that he wouldn’t last past pick 12 so they knew they had to trade up to get him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/05/patrick-mahomes-andy-reid-brett-veach-scouting-nfl-draft

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait what....so You are comparing Alex Smith to Ben????

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly....I thought I was reading it wrong for a minute....comparing Ben with Alex Smith. LoL

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am saying when the Chiefs made the trade for Mahomes they had a pro bowl QB on their roster. Those last few years with Ben on the Steelers were painful to watch and yet Mike Tomlin and company did not make a move to draft Ben's replacement until he was gone..

Speaking of Ben, I have heard nothing from Ben about the QB moves this offseason??? Anyone seen something in the local news about what Ben thinks of Wilson or Fields?

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You finally got it out on the third try, but that doesn't make your take on this any more laughable. There is a good argument that it is past time for the team to move on from Tomlin, but he was hired on merit and proved himself worthy of the job. I guess you just can't see someone like him having the necessities for the job no matter what they do.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not throwing enough touchdown passes is a sign that Pickett was the worst quarterback ever, but it's not a problem when Rudolph does it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, I’m OK with the extension albeit he needs to get it done. I look at it as a new start post Ben era. He has three years to be a SERIOUS contender for the SB. If not done in that time I think he’ll move onto to media so he’s got the world by the…

For those of you that don’t like the three years, take solace in the fact that you at least have the eternal love of that Great Football Mind, Rick Eisen.
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    TD are very important but other thing are important too and the TD was not the only problem for Pickett

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't the only problem for Rudolph, either, but everyone forgot that because he got in a few good games against a favorable schedule without the disadvantage of Canada running the show.

22. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I also don't think that Rudolph would been a long term option,he is a backup at best but he did well for us last year....Both can be true

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think both are true. I never argued that Rudolph didn't do a good job. I argued against the folks who want to ignore the rest of his career and focus on a brief run of good performances, most of them in favorable circumstances. Even the game against the Ravens had advantages, such as Baltimore sitting many of their best players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I seem to recall them starting more than some thought they would. I know they were without Smith and Hamilton on defense, the latter recovering from a knee injury, but I don't remember any other big names sitting out on that side of the ball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was more than that. I know Humphrey also didn't play. Stone left the game with an injury. I'd have to check if it was anybody else, but that was three of their top four defenders.