1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin gets extended

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Yeah,because the steelers defense could not create a single turnover in that game...Gave up 4 TD by their fault with that

2. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    most players are not great coach material and most great coaches are not great players ,diversity over merit is bigotry .Think about it .

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And how many games did the Steelers use a backup QB, they won the last 3 games of the season with their 3rd string QB :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jacksonville was a bad matchup for the Steelers, they had the #1 defense that season IIRC and they could run the ball with Fournette. They smoked the Steelers in Pittsburgh earlier that season, Fournette ran all through them and Ben threw 5 interceptions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Fournette was like Adrian Peterson in his prime against us in 2017!....The regular season game vs Jaguars were the worst game of the Roethlisberger career....Or one of the worst with the one vs raiders in 2006 or the browns in week 1 in 2018

6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Rudolph was the best steelers QB last year....Before that the steelers offense had their worst PPG in a single season since the rookie season of Terry Bradshaw in 1970:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't matter Mason was still their 3rd string QB, you tried to ding them for beating teams that used a backup QB :rolleyes:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. The Jags returned the fumble 50 yards for a touchdown that put them up 28-7. The Steelers were not ready for the start of that game.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have heard the argument before. What is it you think most NFL players lack that keeps them from being capable of coaching an NFL team?

Chuck Noll played in the NFL. He was a starting lineman for the Browns. Bill Cowher also played in the NFL.

Jim Harbaugh, Antonio Pierce, DeMeco Ryans, Frank Reich, and Doug Pederson are among the current NFL head coaches who played in the league.

Also, the Rooney Rule isn't about giving head coaching jobs to people who aren't qualified. It is about giving opportunities to qualified coaches who might not get the opportunity otherwise. Remember who does the hiring. Remember what most of them have in common with most of the coaches.

Think about it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pastorbob

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree opportunity should be given ,disagree that since majority of players are minority members we need more minority coaches as you could then argue that since most fans are white we should hire more white players but that would be politics. My simple reason for not wanting Tomlin is he is not a great coach . Noll had a majority of minority team players and was a great coach. Should he have been replaced for a black coach to achieve diversity? My point is merit should be why we hire period, any other reason is bigotry which I strongly appose ,The Steelers should hire the best. coaches period. P.S. Noll made the team great because he showed no favoritisms regarding ethnicity or background and did not settle mediocracy

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Mediocracy.... the Mike Tomlin Story

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct

the new Standard in Pittsburgh.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Of course He left that out...., but I'm used to him seeing things only one-sided. If we do something it's lucky....if another team does something they are great. If we fail its because we suck....if another team fails its because of injuries.....even if we have more. I really don't see why he's a Steeler fan.:shrug: only two people do I see him defend....no freaking matter what is said....right ,or wrong, and He has an excuse for them.....Lamar Jackson, and Andy Reid....strange Steelers fan attitude IMO :hmm::shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    The last 13 years for sure, and I fully expect that to continue until the Steelers get another franchise QB, along with a new head coach

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  15. chucknoll

chucknoll Member

Dec 28, 2021
    Hey STD

You are a dolt.

Been wanting to say that for awhile.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    All the Rooney Rule does is provide and opportunity, so why are you against it?

What you wrote about wanting more white players because there are more white fans is a terrible analogy. The goal when acquiring players and hiring coaches is the same, to win games. Since the NFL got over its nonsense about not wanting black quarterbacks, race hasn't stopped teams from acquiring players, but it is a factor in coaching hires. The league has missed out on potential coaches for decades because most owners only wanted white guys. It isn't just racism, though that is certainly a factor. It is about owners being more comfortable hiring guys who look like them. You're just tossing up silly arguments to avoid the real one, which is fine. If I had the view I think you do, I wouldn't want to admit it, either. Happily, I don't see people that way.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wow....You are awesome. Let me guess who agrees with you...oh wait same people with the same slow wit. LoL....carry on puppy

19. pastorbob

Jan 2, 2012
    All For Rooney rule against diversity over merit ,tomlin was not a merit hire.

20. pastorbob

Jan 2, 2012
    [QUOTE="pastorbob, post: 1288411, member: 76 All For Rooney rule against diversity over merit ,tomlin was not a merit hire.[/QUOTE]

21. pastorbob

Jan 2, 2012
    All for Rooney Rule but feal Tomlin was a diversity hire not a merit hire .His mediocracy is due to lack of talent period ,IMHO.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Why don’t you just stop already.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

It's just to be objective....The only time last year that the Steelers outplayed the opposing team was the last 3 games and also the first game against the Bengals....Before that, the way that the Steelers were winning was not sustainable in the long run...Not with this offense...The Steelers were winning the same way when they were 6-4 that the Broncos were winning when they had Tebow as QB....Hard to continue to win with an anemic offense, that's the reality....Credit to the defense for making big turnovers, but we can't rely on that to win games every time....

What are your thoughts on the Minnesota Vikings in 2022, when they were 13-4 but with a negative point differential?...For me, they were likely the luckiest team ever in a single season....Their offense was good but their defense was just atrocious

For the backup QB for the opposing team, it's just that it's very different when you play against the Bengals with or without Burrow or when you play against the backups of the Ravens in Baltimore....Remember several wanted in this forum that the game meant nothing to the ravens before this matchup...It's just to say that the 5-1 against the AFC north needs context but I also agree that Trubisky was just awful and that been a big factor in our 3 games losing streak in december

I never gave an excuse for Lamar Jackson's playoff struggle....For Andy Reid, it's you who gives 0 credit to Reid in recent years for the success of the Chiefs....Mahomes is the biggest reason why the chiefs have had so much success since 2018 but Reid contributed too and he was a very good HC before Mahomes...The only thing missing for him was a super bowl...Belichick deserves credit too for the successes of the pats for 20 years....Yes I know his record without Brady, it's garbage but Brady was still not Brady in 2001 and even in 2003....And Tomlin also deserves credit for his 4 first years....You can see my history if you want but I'm not one of those who gave all the credit to the Cowher players for the successes early in Tomlin's career

QB is always the most important people for a team but head coach is still second for me with the front office

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You know Rudolph only played in 4 games, and in only 2 of those game did he throw a TD pass. As much as people want to say how great Rudolph was, in 50% of the games he played last year he didn't throw a TD.

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still think Kyle Shanahan and company are going to prove you can take an average QB and surround him with Pro Bowl WRs, RBs, TE, and O-Lineman and still be successful.

My money says Brocks next contract with the 49ers will be around $30 million, or Kyle will find himself another game manager.