1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Exposed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by GravelGod, Jan 9, 2012.

1. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    This loss has finnaly shown the fans:

1. Tomlin was handed a "fixed deck" of players by Bill Cowher and failed to improve on what he was gived through the draft. After 5 years our O Line issues were never addressed with the exception of injury prone Pouncy.

2. Tomlin can't solve problems, 5 years of a sub par O Line without any improvements. The statement "Thats Ben being Ben" should not be accepted any longer by the fans.

3. Tomlin has failed to reel in Harrison, who continues to play with a thug mindset. Regardless if you agree with Goddell's rules or not that are the new standard. Harrison continues to be called for late hits while Tomlin's ho hum attitude fails to send a message.

4. Tomlin has been exposed, if you watch him on the sidelines, you notise if the Steelers are playing well he is right out on the side lines, yesterday you may notice him slipping back from view. On the timeouts he stood away from the sideline confrences, with no involvement what so ever.

5. Tomlin has failed to take the blame and come out and admit that HE didnt have HIS team ready to play.

6. Tomlin is not a leader, Ben does what Ben wants to do.

7. Tomlin has poor clock management skills, twice this year that was evident.

Time for the fans to hild Tomlin accountable and quit this get rid of Ariens way of thinking. Tomlin is the man in charge and needs to feel the heat from the fans that after 5 years it's time to improve.

2. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing on the way to work this morning. You hear of him suspending players Mendy and Gilbert for not preparing and being professional. What about himself? The Steelers are out coached almost every week. That is my reason that every game is closer than it should be our coaching is not as good as other clubs and it shows every week.

3. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    WOW, really? It's already come to this huh? Fire the HC :hmmm:

4. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    I don't blame Tomlin for how our season ended. Injuries are what finally sunk our ship...not poor coaching. It just wasn't meant to be this year.

Coach T was given the dream job of a lifetime, and he has done pretty good with it. His record speaks for itself. If you remember way back to when Tomlin was hired-- he wasn't hired for his coaching ability, the Rooney's hired him for another reason-- just say'n.

It's true that Tomlin rarely takes the blame for his coaching mistakes-- that's not the way he is I guess. But nor does anyone else on his staff. Tomlin lacks emotion (except for when we are winning). He is the opposite of Cowher.

For years I've been waiting for a player to step up to the plate and become the teams emotional leader-- we have no one like a Joey Porter or Bus to fire us up. I once had hoped that Ben might be able to do this-- he has been a major disapointment in this regard. Neither Hines, Troy, or any of the other superstars have a strong enough personality to pump up the team.

5. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I've been saying this as well. We need to find something to motivate our guys and no one really seems to be doing it right now. No heart to this team, no fire. I miss it.

6. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :hmmm: It'll be interesting to hear his excuses on this one!

7. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    This was more to what I was getting at I guess. Not to fire him but for him to step up and realize that his guys were unprepared to play this game.

8. Risteeler

Risteeler New Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I do blame Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff for this loss. How do you not get your team motivated for a playoff game? It appeared to me that the team had a look on their faces that they did not want to be there. We all know Ben was hurt and what does Arians call, bombs away. It is up to Tomlin to get in Arians face and tell him to work with what Denver is giving us. Tomlin needs to grow a set of balls and take charge of this team. He is the coach and ultimately the loss falls on his shoulders. I am tired of his cliches especially the standard is the standard. Where were the adjustments? That's right the standard is we don't make adjustments. This was a piss poor loss by an ill prepared team. I don't mind losing to a better team, but show some inspiration. Now I have to hear about the Patsies because I live in RI. I hope God is a Denver fan next week. :frustrated:

9. remote steeler

remote steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My real issue with Tomlin is that he played Ben when he should have been rested for the playoffs. That high ankle injury simply does not allow him to play his game. IT is as simple as that.

I know that there was still a chance for home field advantage the week of the 49ers game - but the Bungals needed to beat the Rats for that to be a possibility. IT was a poor risk and reward scenario. If they kept playing Ben and did win the home field advantage.......it would have Ben in the condition he was in for the Denver game. Home fiend advantage only goes so far. A badly hobbled Ben doesn't do that much better at home than on the road. A rested Ben would have had a fighting chance to play the game the way his is capable of.

Injuries in general really sunk us in the end.......Mendy, Pouncey........Big Snack and Diesel going down early in the game. Having Ben seriuoly hobbled made it impossible.

Yes, he could have been a bit rusty......but he could have kept his timing with the receivers with snaps in practice.

I will probably get flamed for this......but I think that it was very bad judgement not to rest Ben for the 49ers, and Browns games. CB sould have held down the fort. At least the Browns game should have been rest for Ben. It meant nothing! VERY bad judgement to play Ben then IMO.

10. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When you need your head coach to motivate your players, you need new players not coaches.

Too many players on this team go into the games with the been there done that attitude. Tomlin does a good job with holding the younger players accountable, it's the vets that he doesn't do that with.

I think age and injuries has finally caught up with the Steelers.

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't think Tomlin didn't know he'd be called out for that decision if it didn't work out and we didn't win the division ?? He's already addressed that 100 times and he'll continue having to address it until next season starts. At least give the guy the credit for having the balls to make a decision and stick with it. Oh how easy it is to judge after the fact :roflmao: And all this BS folks post about needing a cheerleader coach on the sidelines jumping up and down trying to inspire the team on to victory is just that, BS. Chuck Noll and many other very successful coaches in NFL history were about as stoic and non emotional figures on the sideline as you'd ever see. People who believe that watch too many movies.

12. remote steeler

Oct 18, 2011

I agree that the plaers should be pretty delf motivated at this level -----but still think that not resting Ben was a very poor management decision.....PERIOD!

13. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Not sure what game some of you were watching yesterday, but Ben's injury had *nothing* to do with the Steelers losing. He ran out of the pocket many times and even scrambled for positive yardage multiple times. Ben was Ben, and there's not much more you can say about that. Besides, weren't we down 14 at one point and he brought us back?

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    That was only in the second half and playing out of desperation to try and get us back in the ball game. He was very immoble in the 1st half due to the injury. My guess is he got a pretty good pain killer shot on the locker room at half time. His injury had a lot to do with the loss. More mobility in the 1st half could have meant an extra score or two.

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I completely disagree. I'm interested... What are your thoughts on Ben?

16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm not going to totally discount that his injury played a part in some of his poor overthrows, but that could have also been the altitude as balls tend to fly a little further up there. However, I'm more inclined to believe it was just "one of those days" for Ben. When he's on, he's unstoppable; when's he's off, he tends to not make good throws - regardless of any injury he may be nursing.

I still believe this one is squarely on the shoulders of the defensive planning and/or adjustments that weren't made. They sold out too much to the option and just assumed that Tebow couldn't make completions. The flaw in that logic is that we had no pass rush to speak of (partly because Harrison was being mugged all day long) - give any QB, no matter his talent level, that kind of time and they look like an All Pro.

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    I certainly agree with ya there.

18. remote steeler

Oct 18, 2011
    In the game I watched.......Ben was pretty much playing like a pocket QB....not the mobile Ben that creates significant problems for opposing defenses. Ben has never been the typical pocker QB like Brady, Brees etc. His mobility is what makes it all work.

I feel that the picks that he threw were the result of him being rushed to throw because he could not scramble in his usual fashion. His mobility did improve somewhat late in the game and he did scramble a little ...but not the way he is capable of when he is in decent health.

We all know that we do not have that great of an oline. Ben has to be able to move around to create things.....that is how this offense clicks.

Injuries really killed us in this game.....but a healthier Ben could have given us a better chance to pull it off with all the poeple out.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    2007-Lost in Wildcard Round
    2008-Won Superbowl
    2009-8-8 missed playoffs (not a losing record)
    2010-12-4 Starting QB out 1st 4 games lost the Superbowl
    2011-12-4 Lost Wildcard Round with Injuries galore

2007-2011 The Oakland Raiders went through like what 4 different coaches?

You guys are crazy, get off Tomlin the players didn't perform and they paid the price. They have many area's to get better in. I have faith that everything will be fine.

20. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Same old same old here. Take this to the bank - if the Steelers were to follow the unbelievably STUPID advice of the fans and fire Tomlin, he would have a new job before he left the building. He's not perfect, but, as someone said on another thread, the Rooneys have FORGOTTEN more about how to run a football organization than any of us can ever hope to know. They knew what they were getting in Tomlin. They liked what they saw/heard and he's here for the longhaul. Is he perfect? Nope - but I would take him ANY day before I take almost any other coach. Don't forget - it took Bill Cowher 15 years to win ONE Super Bowl. 15 YEARS! Even if you claim that Tomlin has only won with Cowher's people, he still has 10 years to win his own Super Bowl - according to the timetable of the Rooneys. Personally, I don't think it'll take him that long. Mike Tomlin is an incredible coach who knows when/how to motivate his players. What he says to the media means NOTHING - let me say that again - it means NOTHING. However, I would HATE to have been a player going through exit interviews this morning. I'm sure he had a few choice words for many on that team today. Tomlin keeps things in-house, where they should be. We have no right to hear him vent his frustrations to the media. We may WANT to hear them - but we have no RIGHT - and to me - that's just fine.

21. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. When the OP makes the comment "After 5 years it's time to improve" I guess he means win the SB every year. Of course we all know how easy that is to do. I'm convinced some posters here missed their calling. They could easily be writing comedy for one of the late night shows :lolol:

22. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Amen to this. Also - thank GOD these fans weren't in charge when Noll was coach. 1-13 in his first year with a 13-game losing streak?? How did he ever make it through 20 years??!!

23. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    and why he didn't call a time out on 45 denver and play the clock before kick a possible winning fg . because on the field is horrible

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I kinda feel sorry for fans that have those expectations. Must be difficult to live life so miserably.

25. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Whew.

This is about his coaching. When I read the title of the thread and opened it, I thought for sure I was going to read that Tomlin was caught pulling his pants down when he shouldn't.

:shocked: