1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin expects more 'clarity' on Ben's rehab schedule soon

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Mike Tomlin expects more 'clarity' on Ben Roethlisberger's rehab schedule soon

RAY FITTIPALDO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DEC 31, 2019
    Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will know soon when he might have his starting quarterback available during the offseason, and he already knows who will be backing him up.

Tomlin addressed his iffy quarterback group and a number of other subjects on Tuesday during his final news conference of the season.

Ben Roethlisberger, who was placed on injured reserve after the second game of the season, is recovering from elbow surgery and will get an update on Feb. 1 “that will be significant in terms of mapping out what’s next,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin did not disclose a date when Roethlisberger will begin throwing, but Roethlisberger indicated to the Post-Gazette’s Ron Cook in November that he was on schedule with his rehabilitation.

“OTAs. Minicamp. Somewhere in there,” Roethlisberger said. “Just taking it nice and slow, doctors’ orders. It’s all about what they say.”

Roethlisberger’s backup next season will be Mason Rudolph, Tomlin said. Rudolph, who also finished the season on injured reserve after a clavicle injury in Week 16 ended his season, took over for Roethlisberger when he was injured but lost his job to rookie undrafted free agent Devlin Hodges late in the season.

“Mason is the backup,” Tomlin said. “I’m comfortable with Mason. I’m disappointed he missed the amount of time he did. He had an opportunity to grow and get a lot of experience.”

Rudolph played in 10 games this season and was 5-3 as a starter.

Tomlin did not dismiss the possibility of adding a veteran quarterback to the mix, but he said that is something he and the coaching will discuss in detail in the coming weeks.

“I don’t even know what the potential market is as I stand here,” Tomlin said. “I’m just not ready to weigh those options. We’ll weigh all options to put the best football team on the field.”

Roethlisberger’s health will be the most important story line of the offseason, but Bud Dupree’s status is close behind. The fifth-year outside linebacker can become an unrestricted free agent in March, but the Steelers can place the franchise tag on him and prevent him from hitting the open market.

“He’s a priority for us, but we haven’t had extensive meetings defining that,” Tomlin said. “But make no mistake, Bud Dupree is a priority for us.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...ate-mike-tomlin-steelers/stories/201912310108

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben hasnt thrown yet. Tomin isn't a doctor an I'm sure he has focused zero attention on Ben's condition the last 3 months.

No one really knows Ben's situation or his prognosis, probably not even Ben or his doctors. I'm sure Ben is 'extremely motivated' to come back at 100%, but that means nothing. Duck, I'm sure, is similarly motivated to be an NFL starter. But if you ain't got the physical tools, motivation isn't enough.

Whether Ben still has the physical tools probably won't be apparent before training camp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I feel like it’s a tight rubber band that is drying out and getting tighter from not throwing lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So a couple things.
    1-Tomlin said he would know more in February.

2- You say no one really knows Ben’s prognosis then go on to say we won’t know till training camp. You know something we don’t?

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Tomlin did not dismiss the possibility of adding a veteran quarterback to the mix:

So now that this season is over in hind sight dum dum doesnt want to blow it again this year with out having a vet back up for insurance, it's a no brainer we need an experienced back up with all the question marks at QB, ben is a question mark and rudolph cant carry this team so dont blow it again..........

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Only thing for sure in Pittsburgh sports is the Pirates will suck.

7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    And The Penguins will be devastated by injuries

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers have a lot of money tied up into Ben. Experienced back up probably isn't going to come cheap. How much can they afford to spend on an experienced back up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Average is between 3- 5 mill, cheap considering they can be a starter at any moment, we piss away 5 mill a year for vance mcdonald who does next to nothing....

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not much. I’d be very surprised if they sign anyone else significant at QB

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    They are doing pretty damn good all things considered. One thing I learned following Hockey, it doesn't really get started until late March. IMO it is the only sport where all 16 playoff teams have a shot. I've seen 8 seeds make it to Cup finals.

Now the NBA you can bet the house that barring major injuries the 1 or 2 seed will win the title.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The only news in February will be if Ben is close to throwing the football or what the timeline will be.

Tomlin stated that Rudolph will be the #2. Did not say much about Quack.

A question was asked about adding a QB coach. He was receptive as he should be. They need one. Oh wait, Ol Randy is one :lolol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ben is not ready for camp.

• Agree Agree x 1