1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin didn't micromanage the defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 13, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Can we all agree that, in order for the defense to ascend to the next level, continuity and simplicity are key?

Surely we can agree on that can we not?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sure.

That and a new OLB coach. :thumbs_up:

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Simplicity works if the front 3/4 can generate pressure. Otherwise, simple blitz schemes will be nullified after 2 or 3 games.

So I’m not sure it’s so much about simplicity and complexity, so much as translating the system in ways players can execute on the fly in game situations.

That’s on both the coaches (think about how Bill Walsh used to teach his offense, for example), and on the players for knowing and applying what they’re meant to be doing.

...sorry AQL...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    And GM's GM. Who put those sh-t players on the field?

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Name me a team that has a perfect roster? Colbert is still a top 5 GM in the NFL.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well, that is what I was implying. I did not mean it simply based on coaching. Everyone needs to be in synchronization for success.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tomlin............

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    PA announcer.......:shrug::hehehe:

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    simplify it or get smarter coaches and players. :shrug::cool:

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Tomlin has always had a large role in putting the game plan together. He did even when Lebeau was here. He's the head coach. He does a lot more in terms of scheme than people give him credit for. But as for him actually calling the game defensively, I never believed that. I actually think Tomlin put that out there to take the heat off his staff.

Personally I think Spence and Fort were so bad that everyone was stuck trying to do everyone else's job. I'm going to get blasted for this but I don't think Mitchell is as bad as he looked at the end of the season. Its tough to play your position and cover for the piss poor guys in front of you.

11. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    You meant a new coach to replace dumbass Tomlin.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No Mitchell was that bad.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Go back and watch Mitchell, one play that stands out of the many that were like this is the last game of the year vs the Clowns. Gordon caught a long pass and went out around the 1 yard line, watch Mitchell on that play. That one play sums up Mitchell's season. He just stand there in the middle can't read or react to the play and when he does he is so late and so slow he is no help. This was him all season offering no help, making our pass D look bad also making our corners mostly Burns look like he was toast when in all reality he was expecting help over top. Not sticking up for Burns he has his issues but Mitchell is a major problem, we can get the same result out of a parking cone and with not jawing after the play............MITCHELL IS BAD!!!!!!!

ps

And this is coming from a guy who thinks Spence is garbage as well, but Spence was brought in cause of a couple injuries Mitchell was a starter from day one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We understand that you don't like SS. Any chance you'll not be mentioning it in the majority of your posts moving forward?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

NOPE........

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Couldn’t agree more!! Does anyone think it’s going to be easier this year as we play some very explosive offenses in the N.F.C south!The whole defensive coaching staff needs an overhaul!Conflicting articles on how much Tomlin was involved in the decisions on the defensive side of the ball but either report is too much if the coaches are doing their jobs.Injuries on defense hurt us just like every other team in the league.The Eagles had a few major injuries and they overcame them on both sides of the ball! Yes,our personal on defense at certain positions could use a facelift,(yes,i’m talking about you Mike Mitchell) but the coaches are not getting the full potential out of the players we have.Actions speak louder than words and if the onside kick against the Jaguars didn’t say enough I don’t know what will?

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So like me get this straight a guy posts about Spence, Forte and Mitchell and I respond with most of my post being about how bad Mitchell is. I write one line about Spence and all you can respond to is how much you know I hate Spence............like I said in the other post if it bothers you that much feel free to hit the ignore button. I am not saying anything that is untrue and I am also not throwing Spence into every post. I am responding to others who keep bringing him up.

PS

You hate JH and not one time did I ever ask if you will stop posting. You are doing the same thing in every post someone makes about him.........just sayin!

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm obviously one of the guys you're referring to. Felt like you were poking at me a bit?
    I agree Spence is not that good. Shazier and Red went down in the same game, they had to bring someone in. Not like there was a line of starting quality ILB's sitting out there.
    Our Starter and back up go down, they're not trusting that position to some guy on the practice squad.
    Where things get sticky for you and I is I don't think you fully understand how the Practice works or you just dislike the Spence signing so much that you're using that as your argument.

As far as JH goes. I try and keep the comments about JH to threads about him. If I'm blowing up every thread with JH hate I apologize. Not my intention.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yes if you are one of the guys that I have went back and forth about Spence then yeah you are one of the guys. This is a message board that is what you do we all don't have to agree and everyone has their opinions.

If you think this is poking:

And this is coming from a guy who thinks Spence is garbage as well, but Spence was brought in cause of a couple injuries Mitchell was a starter from day one.

Than you will need to get thicker skin, sorry just the truth that is not at all poking. I am not that kind of poster I love going back and forth(in good ways) with everyone right or wrong. Just like me you and Blast have been doing with JH and Spence. But the one thing I can't stand is when someone starts a post on something and someone waits for a person to respond and then wants to call out that person, sorry not cool. All good now man :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Then who did? This defense has Mike Tomlin written all over it.

I will be glad when it is all over. He can get back to the position coach that he is.

• Like Like x 1