1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin defenders - a must read (article)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For what it’s worth, the depth chart has it spelled out?

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I agree. I just don't think Tomlin is that intelligent, at least he doesn't act or talk like he is. Seems he is in a jumbo tron trance during the games.

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes your correct it is on the depth chart but unless I am mistaken aside from injuries I have not seen any cohesiveness so it appears to me like there has not been any decisions from CT on which grouping makes the most sense or is the most effective. Maybe I am wrong and lack understanding.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct. After I posted my comment I realized someone has to be listed first. But, there are a lot of positions where no one is jumping out and saying I’m the man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hear what you’re saying, but I’m not there yet. Maybe in a few weeks.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok I’ll keep a light on for you;)

7. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    It was described incorrectly of the incident but that facts remain, Tomlin made a big blunder when he stepped onto the field. Very unprofessional and deliberate.

8. Spencer

Jan 25, 2016
    I've read the article and nothing I haven't witnessed throughout Tomlins rein as the head coach. Is the new standard for the Steelers only winning seasons ? I'd have to guess 95% if not more of the NFL coaches could do just as well as Tomlin if they were running the Steelers team with having no less than a winning season during their tenure.
    I've never seen the influence or Tomlins stamp on this team of what positives he has brought. Noll showed up and took the worse team and made their defense one for the record books. Cowher showed up and made his mark as a defensive coach and a strong running game. Yes these two had their faults. Nolls faults were he was a victim of his own success. All that winning and low draft picks, keeping players too long, he didn't evolve with the game over the years. Even in Nolls less than stellar years his teams still came out and fought. Remember when the Browns crushed the Steelers something like 51- 0 or whatever ? Noll also had that same team in the playoffs that year and that team put a better game on the Broncos than the Browns had in the playoffs.
    Cowher took a team and had to bring it up to date and had big shoes to fill. Cowher broke my heart so many AFC championship losses. Cowhers problem was he never had a quarterback. Coaching got Cowher to his first Super Bowl. A well rounded Cowher built team and finally a hall of fame QB got Cowher his second Super Bowl win.
    Now lets see what Tomlin had accomplished. Took over a Super Bowl team two years removed and had growing pains his first season. It's fair to say he needed time to get his ducks in a row. Cowher did more his first season with way less. Tomlins second season won a Super Bowl. Very impressive no matter how much talent on the team. Barry Switzer did one better in 95 his first season when he led a Jimmy Johnson Cowboy team in a Super Bowl victory over the Steelers. Still impressive.
    Since Tomlins Super Bowl win this team has fallen short, on the decline and I still don't see the strength Tomlin adds to this team. I often think how many more Super Bowls rings Ben should have if he had a good head coach.

Tomlin should retire a Steelers head coach if he is smart. If he went to another team without the talent the Steelers have afforded him he will be exposed for the fraud he has been all these years.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Spencer

Jan 25, 2016
    As long as there is the Rooney Rule and Tomlin plays for the Rooneys, Tomlin has carte blanche.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hue Jackson has now won a division game with the Browns. A first in 3 years. Plus, they beat the Ravens at home. Neither of which Tomlin has done this year. Fact: this team would be better with Jackson as its head coach.

My guess is there are a lot of people who nodded their heads in agreement with that statement. Obviously, we need to acknowledge and accept that. Acknowledge and accept that that thought is ridiculous.

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Have you actually listened to him speak?

13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Tomlin was not hired because of the Rooney Rule (they had already interviewed a minority candidate when they brought in Tomlin) and the rule damn sure has nothing to do with his job security now. I'd say that has to do with the fact that he has never had a losing season and the start to his career stacks up with just about any coach in NFL history. But keep mentioning the Rooney Rule. It is pretty obvious at this point why anyone references that. It says more about the person bringing it up than it dos about Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Didn't Rivera get an interview before Tomlin? I can't remember.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Rivera did indeed get an interview.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Spencer

Jan 25, 2016

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This is nonsense. Mike Tomlin got the job because he killed the interview. Imagine listening to a sloppy Russ Grimm ramble on for hours without being able to complete a sentence. Then the next day you interview a well spoken Mike Tomlin. Tomlin talks a good game like no other. He has that IT factor. He has a swagger to him. Tomlin was hired for exactly the same reason Cowher was. He was a well spoken, hot shot, young defensive coordinator that had the kind of arrogance about him, that makes you believe he is a leader of men.

Im ready to move on from Tomlin. But to say he got the job because of the Rooney rule is not only false, its a little disrespectful. There are plenty of things to bash Tomlin for. The fashion in which he was hired is not one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He did, and I was dead set he was the guy to follow Cowher. Couldn’t believe it when he wasn’t hired, had no idea who Tomlin was at that point.

Seeing how Rivera coached for the next few years, I’m kind of glad we passed on him in hindsight.