1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin defenders - a must read (article)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Coaches are judged by many things. Success is a combination of many factors, including how the players perform on and off the field. Your defense of Tomlin seems rather simplistic. If he has a losing season this year (which looks increasingly likely) what will your new argument be? Ben is almost certainly retiring after this year, but Tomlin may not. At some point you have to realize a change in leadership is necessary.

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't believe a message can get old when a majority of roster turnover happens every 4 or 5 seasons.

3. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I think its actually magnified because I don't believe they have much REAL veteran leadership...There has to be some discipline instilled into this team from somewhere or somebody..Its not coming from this coaching staff

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I hope we have a couple losing seasons in a row. I would have preferred those 8-8 seasons a couple years ago would have been far worse. We would be better now if that had happened. We’ve been drafting in the back half of the draft for a decade. We need a couple of defensive stud players to push us over the top.

We are stuck pouring over the scrap heap and people whine about our draft picks. Cause and effect

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I've always said that SB ring he got with the Steelers was on the back of Bill Cowher.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I can't I'm too impressed with the alleged logic if the article. You can blame Tomlin for all sorts of off the field issues, but I'd bet if Aaron Hernandez had been a Steeler, this would be further proof that Tomlin (unlike St Bill) doesn't run a tight ship.

Look, Tomlin has his flaws, and fire him if you want. Just make sure you get a better guy, lots of teams don't.

I've lived in 3 other NFL cities, all have had extended down periods. Yinzers believe it can't happen here.
    If it does, given this towns love of nostalgia, people will reminisce fondly of the good 'ol Tomlin days.

Q: How many Pittsburghers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 3, one to screw in the bulb, the other two to remember how great the old one was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know what the day to day leadership of this team might be and neither does anyone else. It's just speculation one way or the other. The team won a lot of games last year with pretty much the same leadership. The team wins they have leadership. The team loses they don't have leadership. Same can be said for discipline.

Discipline is such a vague term. What kind of discipline are you looking for?

8. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I’ve been saying this about Tomlin since day 1. I can’t believe he was (and he wasn’t) the best head coaching candidate at the time the Rooney’s hired him. He rode Cowher’s momentum, so timing was on his side. It it now coming to light that Tomlin is not head coach material, let alone DC material. I think we all new this would happen at some point, with the first indication of playing down to the competition on a regular basis. Next was game/time management issues. Then not having the ability to make in game adjustments. Then poor prep for games. Then all the discipline issues. The list continues and truth be told, even though of record over the years was decent, we’ve played like a .500 team, which obviously shows come playoff time. Something needs to change, but based on the Rooney’s history, I think we may be in for a long few years with this guy at the helm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017
    Sometimes change is a good thing..We are watching a sloppy ,unorganized ,extremely undisciplined bunch of individuals who are getting paid to do a job that they are doing inadequately! We got are asses handed to us in the trenches on both sides of the ball all game..And after all the mess and confusion your head coach says he thinks the defense is coming around..my patience are wearing thin with this guys BS.

10. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017
    ACCOUNTABILITY....seems to be lacking a bit..2 steps forward..three steps back....we cant even make a player substitution without a Chinese fire drill

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

If this team has played like 500 team for years, how come they have been 500 or better each and every yr Tomlin's been here? If last yrs 13-3 team played like a 500 team, yet still won all those games, doesn't Tomlin get a least a little credit for the over achieving regular season?

Look, I'm an agnostic on Tomlin, fire him if you get a better guy, But this team is 2nd or 3rd in wins the last 10 yrs, that wasn't all lucky breaks or Cowhers coattails.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    No point entertaining someone with the name Tomlinsux. No matter what you say he will believe Tomlinsux.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    OK.

for those that hide behiind the dislike button, why don't you elaborate on who you have lined up to replace Tomlin at week 5 of the season?

To deny Tomlin has had success irregardless of what team he had in place upon arrival is just not accurate. They lost a whopping total of 3 games in the regular season last year, with losing their star middle linebacker.

Tomlin's regular season win percentage is 65%.

Find me someone available that has done better.

Yes it is too early to fire Tomlin based upon a 4 game performance. Unless you can tell me who is going to come in midseason to correct this ship that has demonstrated in the NFL they have done better.

Firing everyone sounds great. This has been the mentality of the Browns organization for the past decade.

I have to say I disagree, and I've given my reason as to why.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  15. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You got that right. Pretty bad when even his mentor, Tony Dungy, says something has to change. But the standard will continue to be the standard.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Written by some fanboy with a blog :shrug:, I will forward it to the Rooney's :roflmao:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Is Tomlin the right guy for the future? I don’t know. Check back with me at the end of the season. I don’t think he’s an elite coach, but evidence continually points to him being pretty good. What I see in that article, and out here, is a bunch of delusion. Everything wrong is Tomlin’s fault. Everything good is in spite of him. The contradictions are interesting. He gets consistently out coached and doesn’t get the most from his players, yet he also drafts awful players. So how did 13-3 happen? He drafted bad players, and he,s terrible at coaching his players, yet somehow 13-3 just spontaneously happened in spite of him? Either he drafted players capable of going 13-3, or he was the head coach who got 13-3 out of bad players, or both. He’s not conventional. He’s a players coach. I think his coaching style has at times helped to fuel success at critical times, like going 11-5 after a 4-5 start (which is just not going to happen with poor coaching). However I also think it’s contributed to an overall lack of discipline and accountability. On the balance the results have been very good, but we’ve fallen “just short” enough times recently to give me pause. If this season goes south I’d be open to a change, but I’d also be pretty concerned that the next coach would be less successful. He’s not great, but it could be a lot worse. Making a change would definitely be a risk.
    The argument that he “won with Cowher’s players” is a load of :bscow:. He won a SB 2 years after Cowher went 6-10, and then got back to the SB 4 years after Cowher’s final season. He was clearly the right coach for the job back then. The results prove it conclusively. Any argument to the contrary has no logic behind it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Exactly and there is no evidence that I have seen supporting the argument that he even tried to obstruct Jacoby Jone. It makes for a good story line but not necessarily factual..

The article itself is rubbish. Most of this stuff , distractions and personnel issues is part of todays NFL not just specific to the Steelers. I loved Cowher but he had his issues with his playing not to lose tendacies and I was
    just as frustrated so the Tomlin indictment is BS as well lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Does Ben know he is retiring ?

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

Please try to be accurate. Otherwise everything else you say just sounds like blah blah blah

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've been over this a hundred times already. 13-3 was a mirage. How many of you believe the Steelers would have beaten the Packers with Rodgers, Colts with Luck at Lucas Oil Stadium and a red-hot Deshaun Watson at Houston? Puh-leeze. 2017 team was, at best, a 10-win team after the loss of Shazier. They proved it vs. Jax. Mediocre, scrap heap team full of divas and underachievers... and sub-par preparation and coaching.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    So in sum, people either

a) agree with the article because they’ve always agreed with the points it raised

Or

b) disagree with the article because they’ve already disagreed with the points it raised many times before.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ben is not retiring after this year. He is making 22 million a year and can make that for the next 2 or 3 years. He isn't going anywhere.

Tomlin is a good man and good representation of who you want as a leader. Unfortunately, he isn't a good football coach. He is average at best. The results are in the games, this is not an opinion.

I watched the KC game this last Monday, and they have the worst pass defense in the league. Even when I looked at their defense, no one seemed to be out of place or confused. If it were simply for the fact that the players weren't good, I'd say, ok. These guys aren't good. But week in and week out, I see linebackers and DB's pointing and going nuts because they are confused on where to be. That is a coaching issue. Players need to be coached. If they aren't coached well, they get confused and do not know where they need to be. That is a scheme issue, a teaching issue and more importantly a preparation issues. If it were just Artie Burns, ok, he is dumb, fine. But it's everyone, not just one guy.

Steelers are in purgatory right now. They are like the 7th and 8th seed in the NBA. You know you will never win a title but you play good enough to where the coach doesnt get fired because he has never had a losing record.

Who could the Steelers get even if they did fire him? Unfortunately that guy is in LA right now with the Rams. That is the next level coach of the next era. So, the Steelers are ****ed for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    How was 13-3 a mirage? They were bad call away from being 14-2. I believe the Steelers could had beaten any team last season. If they were a 10 win team then they would had only won 10 games. Does that make sense?

Jax is a good team. The Steelers made to many mistakes vs the Jags. Maybe they could had defeated the Jags if they didn't turn the ball over as much as they did?

Team full of divas? Where? Maybe you can label a few players as divas. A few players doesn't mean the entire team is full of divas. All teams have to live with a few divas at times. Does that also make sense?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No.