1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TOMLIN Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    And that your boy little Mikey is a **** coach

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    I don't expect coaches to win every single game, but reasonably, if you are to be considered an above average coach, you should be able to win certain games. Home playoff games against weaker competition, in general, are winnable games. David Garrard and Blake Bortles are not considered to be unstoppable quarterbacks and have some stretches when they have played good football. Garrard happened in Tomlin's first year as a coach and let's forgive that. Playing Tim Tebow even on the road is a "winnable" game. Look at Tim Tebow's stas the last 3 regular season games and then look at what his stats are against the Steelers in the playoffs. How anyone can consider Mike Tomlin a "great", "good" coach after looking at those statistics, I have no idea. Yes, one game wonders happen. So now we have a loss to Garrard at home, and a loss to Tebow on the road. Not exactly the end of the world, but again, if you as a coach can't prepare for these quarterbacks in the biggest games of the year, what exactly is your worth? Ok, let's forgive Garrard and Tebow games. Now all the pieces are in place in 2017, 13-3, 1st round bye. Blake Bortles coming to town. Steelers go down 21-0 after having 2 weeks to prepare? Ummmm, yeah, coaches of the year and above average coaches don't generally fill their resume with these types of losses. Yes, it's amazing that Tomlin got to 8-5 this year, but then you blow 2 winnable games in a row to 8-7. When do you finally put your foot down and say, hey, you're a great coach when games don't "matter", but soon as games mean something more, there is something missing. That's how I see it. Won a Super Bowl and got to another is really great, but the past 8 to 9 years have shown that there is something off. Continually losing critical games at critical points in the season is not washed away because the coach went 8-8 or has a silly streak of being very average in some years.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin is usually good enough to motivate the team to the playoffs. It's on the players after that. He is consistently better than anybody not stealing signals.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Like I said some people on these boards are so blinded by TOMLIN regular season winning percentage that as long as we go 8-8 or 9-7 it’s a victory. Pathetic City of Champions is now the City of Mediocrity

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    So coaches have nothing to do with game planning for the biggest games of the season? All on the players? Got it

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep
    Hero or zero time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The way he just stands around with that lost look on his face, he should get a job as a mannequin at a sporting store.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    Oh man, against the Jaguars down 21-0. That look still haunts me. Again, I personally hate 'piling' on the guy, but I'm feeling like the ceiling has been hit with Tomlin and I don't see a turnaround. Maybe things get better. I'll start to believe a bit more if Tomlin wins 2 games in a row and if that happens, I'll scale back a bit with my criticism, but it's going to take some superb coaching to get there. Let's see if it can be done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And you conveniently left out the main reason the Steelers fell behind 21-0 to the Jaguars, their franchise QB Ben gifted them 14 points with his turnovers. That defense wasn't good enough to overcome that deficit, even though the offense mounted a comeback in the second half, there were no playmakers on defense.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It also proves you're a :poopy: fan and poster :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He will win two games in a row. Next week vs the ravens and the first game in 2020 lol

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I the 2 in a row will be next season, but it'll have to be a B2B vs Cinci

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    You Glenn and Little Mikey in Weekend at Bernies 3. TOMLIN is the guy who is already dead

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pretty damn sure Tomlin is going to win 2 games in a row. You just have to wait until next season.

I'd say the chance he does it this year (beat Ravens, make playoffs, win first round game) are about the same that we get visited by aliens.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just this season, we've had runs of 4 Ws in a row and 3 in a row. Don't those count to you?

• Like Like x 1
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Here on the border, we're visited by aliens every day by the hundreds!

19. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I see a striking resemblance....

FRP-mannequin-head-for-glasses-cap-hat.jpg

20. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    The Jaguars took the opening kickoff and went down the field for a TD. Eventually Big Ben did throw a pick in Steelers territory for a short field and Jaguars are up 14 - 0. Steelers drove down the field at one point to the Jaguars 21. Went for it on 4th and 1 and Leveon Bell got stuffed for a 4 yard loss. Jaguars drive 75 yards for a TD and a 21-0 lead. The Jaguars in the regular season beat the Steelers pretty good. So an extra week off to rest, playing a team that you've seen before in your house nets you a 0-21 deficit. In your opinion, how does that happen? Were you surprised? Not many teams have been known to go down 3 TDs in their house after a 1st round bye in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Pengvin67

Oct 7, 2019
    That's excellent. I said that it was impressive to be at 8-5. I thought there was a chance we could have a bit of a special team with those streaks. The Bills game was winnable at home and the Jets game even more so. The loss to the Bills was disappointing but I didn't post anything at that point. Losing to the Jets was a typical loss that happens to Mike Tomlin coached teams. When the chips are down, the Steelers generally have been folding. The Jets were playing for a paycheck. The Steelers were playing for control of their playoff destiny. As I've said, as the games become more critical, you can almost count on the Steelers to not come through. Again, you give me examples in recent history of a critical game when the Steelers have come through. When have you seen the Steelers come through when the chips were down? Playoffs, regular season?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If there is any chance for post season success again, Tomlin and the Steelers must be divorced. I don't care who the QB is, I don't care what the analysts say, I don't care that teams will clamor for Tomlin if released, let them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It sounds like you're absolving the players of being down 21-0, I mean they're the one's who are on the field and have more of a say than the HC :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And he will be around until 2021, and you will still be on here crying like a little girl about it on here :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Awesome let’s celebrate failure for another 2 years! To each their own. You love him and think he is the best coach in the NFL I hate him and wanted him fired years ago when it was clear we would never win it all again as long as he was around. We can go back and forth but one thing I agree with you about is as pathetic as it is he will continue to be around as long as he wants to. Rooney’s have no spine and have become complacent. The new Art sucks nothing like his father or grandfather that much is certain.

• Agree Agree x 1