1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin can take the loss in this one

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Nov 29, 2015.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Insane fake FG in a 3-0 game. turns into a TD for Seattle. so that's a 10 point swing.

Doesn't use his Time outs when he should have. AGAIN.

and on 4th down on the 5 maybe? We kick the FG. Why not try to take the lead? We trust the offonse to get 2 point conversions. We trust the offense and defense to run a fake FG. But we don't try to take the lead with 3 minutes left? IF we fail on 4th and goal .. our defense just needs to hold Seattle form a 95 yard drive.. on and we have 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning. If we succeed we take the lead with under 3 minutes left. so again we need the defense to hold them. So why not go for the lead?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Be cause Tomlin sucks as a
    coach

• Like Like x 3
  3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It seems that Tomlin has been in denial about how bad his defense is for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    10-0 coaches don't make silly mistakes like he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    He clearly lived in his fears with that call. Just a lot of stupid mistakes by the Steelers at key moments in this game that costs the Steelers big time. I don't want to blame the refs in this game but there were some brutal calls. The Wheaton no catch was a bad call, and the INT at the.end of the game was bad too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I usually try to stay out of game day threads. I like to think about things before making an emotional post. But, I don't need to think about this one much... I agree we definitely should've gone for it on 4th and goal from the 4 when we're down 5. I told my dad and brother right when we kicked it that the game was over. Our Defense was playing horrible, and I figured we'd get the clock run out on us. Our O is our strength. Lean on that strength to try to win it.

The fake FG was bad too. I was in the "go for it" camp, but use our actual offense... It turned out horribly for us.

I thought Tomlin used the timeouts correctly at the end though. Had we stopped them on 3rd and 10, we would've had the ball with over two minutes and one or two timeouts (depending on Seattle's play being incomplete or a catch/run short of the first). The timeouts are more valuable on the other side of the warning so we can use the middle of the field.

I'm not going to put the loss squarely on Tomlin, but he definitely made two pretty egregious errors IMO and it aided us giving that game away.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers were probably going to lose regardless of what Tomlin decided at that point of the game.

8. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I didn't mind kicking the FG. Down 2, 3rd and 10 with 2 minutes to go and 2 TO....I was feeling pretty good, until...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The Wheaton no catch was the right call. Late INT was the wrong call. Ben's deep ball pick was a blatant PI or Illegal contact. I didn't see if the ball was in the air or not. Timmons "late hit" was bad too. Definitely some key missed calls.

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    2 interceptions and specials teams giving them a short field

11. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    There's enough blame to go around on this cluster fart! 4 (yes that's 4) interceptions, three of which turned into scores for the chickens (I think), buku missed tackles and some questionable coaching. So yeah! WE SUCKED TODAY !

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    4 turnovers they didn't deserve to win, too many missed tackles and WRs running wide open.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Troll, you only show up after a loss with the same take.

14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    It sure looks like a poorly coached team that's for sure.

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I think this is pretty spot on. Every time I think I'm getting a read on Tomlin's mind he gives me the mental juke and leaves me in the dust - to me, I thought it was a no-brainer he would go for the TD at the end if for no other reason that it was the more aggressive play. But I also think it was the smarter play given the the defensive performance turned in thus far. Actually, I thought we would need the TD and subsequent 2 point conversion - with the amount of time left I was not confident we could hold Seattle out of FG range (much less force a punt to get the ball back).

Agree as well on the fake FG. If he wanted to go for it there, fine - at least maximize your chances of converting. Putting Landry out in the huddle during a time out telegraphs something might be up, which cancels out most of the element of surprise - the rest of which was eliminated when they audibled formation 5+ seconds before the snap. For all that, he should have just left Ben and the offense in the game.

But part of being a mediocre team is that there is plenty of blame to go around. We were not good in several phases today.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    By the way, on the fake field goal dosen't it look like Landry has a weak arm. I've seen high school quarterbacks throw harder. Also his first throw when he came in for Ben was a bounce pass.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben left some points on the field, when he ran the ball on 3rd and goal in the 4th qtr he had D-Will wide open for a TD. On another play he had AB wide open running up the sideline but Ben threw it underneath for a incompletion.

18. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    Figured best place to put this is here...If you're going to spend the day lobbing hail marys, why take the knee before the half?

At least fake the knee and bombs away, again

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    who the **** u callin a TROLL *****

20. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    It's really only the secondary that is bad. The front 7 is decent.

I think the offensive playcalling really exposes the defense. I'm surprised there weren't more 3 and outs. Ben killed it on 3 and long for the most part.

The Steelers were very strong when Roethlisberger threw the ball 25-35 times a game, they ran the ball and played good defense.

Tomlin seems perfectly fine with throwing 70% of the offensive plays and the ensuing turnovers.

Deangelo is a good RB. He should be used as a runner more imo.

So... you trust Roethlisberger to throw 55 times against the best secondary in the NFL (he did really well) but not enough to win it on 4th and 5.

Oh well it is what it is.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  22. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Obviously because he doesn't live in his fears and takes the calculated risks.

23. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    He puts in Landry to go for it on 4th down. If the idea was to catch them off guard, then why take your time and even send a man in motion on the play?
    He goes for two instead of making it a 3 point game but yet kicks a FG with 3 minutes left from the 5 yd line and down by 5?
    He will waste 25 seconds on defense in order to save 10 seconds on offense.

Where is the Bruce Arians lynch mob at when it's actually called for?

24. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Umm... don't know if you heard but it is a bad idea to use the term "lynch mob" in general and eapecially in this instance.

The balls on this guy haha.

25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To me, if you put up over 30 points against a good D you should win. Not only do teams exploit our secondary. They do so with ease ... long drives in about three plays. It has been that way for quite a few years now. Manziel almost putting up 400 says it all.

• Agree Agree x 2