1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin butchered clock management

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by numbah58, Nov 1, 2015.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I was at the game. The crowd actually started booing because every man, woman, and child in the stadium KNEW the timeout should have been called. This is going to sound incredibly cynical, but I honestly believe this. Tomlin was on the sidelines looking at the play clock and the game clock. I don't believe he understood the math that they wouldn't have to snap the ball before the 2-minute warning. It may be the RIGHT call if the 40 second clock is running at 2:42, but at 2:38 it's ridiculous and stupid and everybody in the stadium knew it. I think he was trying to figure out which would happen first and by the time he figured it out (if he ever did -- he may STILL be scratching his head), it was too late. He SAID he thought the timeout was more important than the 38 seconds (which is brain-dead since when you're on offense you'll never take 38 seconds to run a play BECAUSE YOU'RE IN HURRY UP MODE), but that's so counter to what he does in other situations, I think he felt he needed to say SOMETHING.....

In the FIRST half, he's taking time out at 1:48 when the Steelers are driving and no reason to have to stop the clock. If the timeouts are so valuable, why take them so early and leave your opponent unnecessary time? Oh yeah, because you can't do math....

Oh well.... in the end, it's probably best Ben didn't complete the pass that would have made the score 16-16. Tomlin's pretty invested in that 'go for 2' strategy, so I'm sure the game would have been going to overtime....and we all know what happens THEN.....

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You blame Ben, I'll blame Haley.

Ben and Haley have been on the same page for a while now and all of a sudden Ben is going rogue, not buying it.

Analyst say it time and again, Haley tries to prove he's the smartest guy in the room. Probably figured that Cincy would be keying on quick timing patterns since his QB just came back from a knee injury and they wouldnt be looking for deep balls.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who cares, Ben had almost 2min with one TO... Should have been enough.

4. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Thank you for making that point when everyone else is so willing to place that on Ben. Yep, he played like garbage today (but that was expected with the off-time) - but that INT was all Johnson (not Williams).

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I honestly think that play to Martavis last year probably contributed to some of that. I really didn't have a problem with them going deep as much as I did with Ben just trying to force a jumpball between two defenders. Horrible decision making today. I also feel like the pressure got in Ben's head a little more today. He said "health wise" I feel ok in his presser. I would love to know if that meant that his psyche was a little effected today.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I said in the Off season lst year, that this year would tell what kind of coach Tomlin is good/bad and so far its not looking to good for him, which i was afraid of... but he has 8 games to change my mind,,, .. good luck with that!!

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bryant should have come up with that TD too. That was the same play they threw a flag and then picked it up too, right? So at the very least, that should have been first and goal.

So many things pissed me off about this game today, more angry about this loss than I have been in a while.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't so much blaming Ben as stating facts. A typical play might have a guy running deep, but it doesn't mean it's the only option. I don't remember the formation of that play, but I would bet there were at least 3 receiving options on that play, maybe even 4. Hell, there could have even been 5 depending on what Heath and the RB were doing. So yeah, Bryant was running a deep route, but Brown was likely much closer, as were the other receiving options. It's not like Haley was in Ben's ear telling him to throw to Bryant. Even if that was the primary read, there are other options. I don't get how you can blame the OC for a decision the QB makes. Now if every receiving option is running a GO route, then I agree with you, but that wasn't the case. There were a lot of guys running shorter routes all game long. The deeper patters were one of several options. Haley presents the options to Ben, Ben chooses which option to go to.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    No I was talking about the big 90 yard play to Bryant that we threw last year. I think we felt like we could hit them deep and just kept trying to force it. It was super annoying. We didn't hardly even seem to consider that we needed to at least play the field position game. I read an article last week about "The standard is the standard" and it honestly makes sense in light of today. Basically what they were saying is that Tomlin feels like you should always be able to use the whole playbook and will always try to do it. Regardless if Ben is hurt or not. I personally think that's a pretty stupid philosophy. Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Stubbornness is by no means a virtue. That article was on NFL.COM I think.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes but Im sure there was an emphasis on the long ball when they went over the game plan. Its not like Ben knows before he throws it if it will be successful or not.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's possible. That we'll never know. Either way, Ben can go through his reads quickly. He's no rookie. He needs to see that his primary read is double covered and he needs to move on to his next option. If the emphasis was to go deep early and often, that's on Haley. The actual throws are on Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn't feel today like Ben went through his reads at all and I think the pressure being generated mixed with his knee in the back of his mind(or front) just forced him in to some bad decisions.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I understand Tomlin's reasoning. Tomlin preferred to have a TO for a guaranteed stoppage. He felt that TO was more valuable than the seconds. That doesn't make him an idiot. The Steelers offense had plenty of time to move the ball down the field.

The thing is, we never know how the game will play out until after it's over. It's easier to 2nd guess decisions after the fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Yes. Every time Ben plays hurt he reverts to his "sandlot" style.

The less confident Ben is the more he holds onto the ball.

Ben had a bad game. That is not Will Johnson's fault. I expected Haley to be blamed for Ben's play but come on... the fullback?

2nd and 6 and no one is open then throw it away. He was out of the pocket so no grounding. Try it again on 3rd down.

It's not rocket science.

Saying Will Johnson should be able to outfight DBs to make catches is wrong; next game start AB at FB and complain if he can't push the pile on 4th and 1.

The game plan changed when Leveon Bell went out. 9 rushes in the first 21 minutes; 10 rushes the last 39 minutes. In Tomlin's mind Bell is way better than Deangelo. "The standard is the standard" and "next man up" are just words. The Steelers staff obviously doesn't feel Deangelo can carry out their gameplan even though he averaged 97 rush yds in two games as the starter. Then comes 45 pass attempts which has never worked.

15. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    That is correct. But it is still speculative. The following is similar but based on only what happened.

Tomlin called his TO1 at 1:55. This came after the 2nd and 9 play after the 2:00 warning.

Had TO1 been called prior to the 2:00 warning the play after the 2:00 warning would have been 3rd down.

There are 5seconds there absolutely thrown away. The 1st TO could have been called at any time before the 2:00 warning and still at 1:55 it would have been 3rd down. What was done simply gave Cinci a free play and made the stopping of the clock at 2:00 worthless.

In reality the clock could have been stopped at 2:38. Cinci after the Int ran their 1st down play starting at 2:44. It gained 1 yard. The players were going back to the huddle at 2:40 and the ref was signaling end of the play at around 2:39ish. The announcer said there are 38seconds and he was right. But I repeat, it did not matter when the TO would be called because the 2nd down and 9 would be played BEFORE the 2:00 warning. In the event that a second TO would not be called then the 3rd down play would go off after the 2:00 warning.

More than likely more time could have been saved. But for sure those 5 seconds would have been good for at least 1 more shot at the EZ.

What happened was they did not save TO1 at all. They simply waited 43 seconds to call it and in the meanwhile absolutely for sure wasted 5 seconds. Not a very good idea.

But most teams that know what they are doing would do what you said. 1-10 2:44 TO1 at 2:38 2-9 2:38 TO2 2:33. 3-7 2:33. They ran another play and lost 3yds. It took 4 seconds. so at 2:29 the option to use TO3 would have come to stop the clock let them kick their FG and get the ball back with maybe 2:20 or so and no TO's or at the 2:00 warning with 1TO.

New England has been using all the TO's before the 2:00 warning often lately but maybe saving the final TO is a viable option.

Either way anything is better than absolutely for no reason throwing away 5 seconds for sure.

If the above is not correct [loss of 5seconds] let me know.

16. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Anyways... does anyone think Ben throwing 2 interceptions in the last 5 minutes had anything to do with the loss or is it just me? Ben had 3:01 on the clock with 3 timeouts. That is tons of time left.

At this time I texted my buddy "Marvin Lewis just ****ed up. This one is going to OT."

The reply: "Not if Roethlisberger ****s up too."

My reply: "Haha true."

Then he did. 2/2.

Tomlin's fault?

• Like Like x 2
  17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just adding to what has already been said about Tomlin....absolutely HORRENDOUS time management. Watching 12 seconds just tick off the clock is unacceptable.

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin's clock management needs to be better but so does Ben's.

19. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Active Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Tomlin is a joke this team has way too much talent to be 4-4, if he calls a timeout we probably win this game and are in good position to win the division. Not calling a timeout was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    The main factors I see with everyone mad at Tomlin's clock management:

1.Ben is a god and his late-game interceptions were the fault of poor play design.

2. Tomlin has mismanaged the clock in multiple games already this year.

3. Steelers are always in close games and can't put anyone away (see leading Baltimore by double digits). Tomlin wouldn't have to worry about it otherwise.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Every time? I don't know about that. Either way, it's hard for me to believe that anyone who watched yesterday's game thinks that's what happened with the way the Bengals defense played.

Outfight? He just sat there and made no effort to get to the ball. It's on both of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Man, you lost your argument once you made reference to "Analyst." Please tell us what analyst you're referring to who is nothing but a media based talking head?

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This game was pathetic on so many levels. Bryant letting a TD pass go through his hands, AB dropping passes, crucial penalties by the OL, putrid clock management by Tomlin, bad game planning by Haley. But....this loss is on Ben, PERIOD! He failed to play like an elite (or even a very good quarterback) after the first drive. Three INTs and sandlot 'bombs" into double and triple coverage will not cut it against a divisional rival in a close game. Was he rusty? Sure. Is that an excuse? NO!

If Cam Heyward and James Harrison had come to Ben before the game and told Ben to just get us 17 points, big guy, that's all we'll need today. We're going to hold the high powered Bungles in check. I'm sure Ben would have taken that deal in a millisecond. I'm sure all of us would have liked our chances if we were told the Steelers D would hold the Bungholes to 16 points. Ben failed to deliver the goods!

Is he elite? Probably, but sometimes he just doesn't play like it and it seems like more often than not over the course of the last few seasons he's looked less than elite in crucial games at critical times. Where are the comebacks that seemed to define the first half of his career? I still don't think I'd trade him for anyone not named Brady and Rodgers, but it's time for him to step it up if we have any hope whatsoever of playing into January.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  24. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014

Ok so here it is again: when you have Brown, Bryant and Miller your best match-up is not throwing it to the FB who is being covered by a DB. He's not being covered by a LB or a DE in a flat zone... FB... was... covered... by... a... DB.

That is not a good match-up.

Not only that but his route was finished. Johnson pushed off a little bit to get separation then positioned his body to block out the defender.

The DB DOVE for the ball to make a great pick.

Are you suggesting Johnson should practice with the WRs then?

I mean it was very reminiscent of Wallace not coming back on hooks... but Wallace was the #1 WR. Is it really a FB's fault for making the same mistake as a #1 WR?

Should a QB throw late on a timing pattern like a hook? Should they throw late, across their body to a FB who is covered by a DB with another defender in close proximity? Should the QB force that throw knowing he has another down to work with?

Was it Antonio's fault that he isn't ten feet tall on the next pass that sailed over his head to seal the game?

Was it Johnson's fault the offense scored 3 points after the initial drive?

So Ben will force a throw on 2nd down to his FB but on the final throw of the game he puts the ball out of the back of the endzone rather than giving the best WR in the NFL a chance to catch it (or get the mandatory PI call) and this game is the FB's fault?

We just see it differently I guess.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    For a Coach who doesn't live in their fears ,he did exactly that . The reason he didn't call them on the upper side of the 2 minute warning was he was scared the Bengals would throw on 3rd. down and Ice the game . He played it so the Bengals would not take a risk and they didn't .

He got what he wanted and got the ball with a chance to win, it didn't happen...