1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin: Ben still runs the team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is what I am talking about. Why is there such a huge hole in Ben's passing game no completions beyond 11 yards and no passes at all in the middle?
    upload_2021-9-29_17-37-39.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I dunno, brother. I think the preseason focus is much more on player assessments. If I’m trying to see how my offensive line run-blocks and my QB keeps checking into passing plays… :rant:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've seen it.
    Let Me ask a Question. Have You looked at charts 2 other Qbs???
    If not do so. Plus the D is sitting there You have 2 have time 2 get it over the Middle LBS and Safety....time He is not afforded. I know people will say what about deep on the sidelines. You don't have 2 wait on a clear out on the Sidelines.
    I posted a video that may break some of this down for people interested....On one off these threads. About 45 mins ago.

4. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    They have 7 on the line with 2 high safeties within 5 yards lol. He can’t signal for Claypool to go deep?

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I see that the chart is estimated because I would rate several catches made by Juju and at least 1 to PF were in the middle. Unless they aren't over 10 yards but he has hit guys.

@S.T.D one of your earlier responses about Ben moving them in preason while the others not so much was accurate to a point. I don't think Mason and Haskins had all the predicted starters at given times or was their a lot of variation I. What was being asked of them. I said during those games that Mason did exactly what was asked of him not a lot of improvisation. While Haskins created plays from chaos until he was given a lot more time which led ineffective plays when following instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not saying they can't Be good. I'm just saying from what I've seen with Preseason, and 3 games this season...I think they'd be worse, and I'm not so sure they(our back up Qbs) are not going.....Please Ben stay in there. LoL

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If they weren't wasting so much time this would have been the time to use motion whether it's the TE or the slot receiver to get the linebackers to shift. Then they could have the one that doesn't move seal the inside pressure while the outside receiver slants toward the middle hard and seal his defender inside as well that should leave Harris open on his route and it could look similar to his scoring play the week before.

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    At this point if they simplify everything and run a high percentage low risk offense whether with Ben or anyone else it is more successful. The first play of the game set up second and manageable then self inflicted wounds killed things. You get 4 yards on 1st you get a few yards on 2nd and make the short dump off to convert on third. Do it again get 4 yards or maybe 6. Take a low risk shot up the sideline if it fails come back and hit Harris for a short completion at the sticks. Maximize the gaining 1st downs minimize the splash plays that aren't connecting.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't think you can really rely too much on pre-season games. If so, Roche and Jamir would have taken over for Watt and Highsmith and the team wouldn't have missed a beat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm taking the opposite look at it. Ben is not going to get better as the season progresses. I don't know that the other two would, but I know Ben wont.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Let's be honest here. You don't KNOW for sure anything.....Just Like I don't. We are speculating.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What???...Highsmith was unstoppable in the preseason, and Watt didn't even play.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This reminded me of my Irish team playing last week against Wisconsin and their starting QB was knocked out of the game, their #2 QB was hurt and didn't dress, and they threw in a Freshman QB taking his first game snaps of his ND career against a ranked team. According what was said up above, there is no way this kid should be able to do anything because he didn't play better than the starting QB during preseason. Well, wrong. This kid came in and did pretty good and now that starting QB is wondering if he will continue to be a starter going forward. I know its college but it just tells me that new blood in a game situation can be a positive change, if you give it a try (or are forced to).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Little different. The other team game planned all week for one guy, and not the other. Of course He looked good (well he could have looked bad)....see this a lot in all football. Heck I remember this in a National Championship. Qb got knocked out, back up came in ...still lost....but everyone was like man He should have been starting. Needless 2 say....that Qb didn't ever go 2 a National Championship like the Guy He replaced.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This would seem to contradict Tomlins explanation after the game.

16. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

Exactly Right, its why Duck was good at first as well. There was no Tape on him. He was new and nobody knew his tendencies yet. The good Qb's can change it up. The good Qb's with good OC's watch film and game plan for the team they are playing against instead of thinking they can just do the same thing every week. I cant even remember the last time we saw or could tell from the game that there was a "gameplan".

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben screwed up by throwing the ball into the flat, he should've thrown it into the endzone to give his guys a chance to make a play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There’s already a problem between Ben and Canada. Just reading between the lines on things I have seen. Like running Candas system just once in the first game. And his typical “ask the OC” which he would do with Haley and now Canada saying this, there’s been other things, too.

I thought that if Ben was advocating to come back and took a pay cut to do it, he was going to play ball an do what was asked of him. Other people here had it right and said he wouldn’t, they called it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    True, but looking at the last 4 games last year, and this years, coupled with the fact that this years line is worse than lasts, I see Ben not only not getting better, but probably getting hurt. I don’t want that to happen, but that’s the writing I see on the wall, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's hard to watch an end of a player whos hand had a big part in bringing 2 more Lombardi's to the fold. I appreciate that.

Some just don't want to except the reality. I get it. But the team is in a small rebuilding mode and needs to get younger.

Also mentioned is the issue that already their is friction between OC and QB. We have seen this before.

Ben will start and go down with the ship unless he gets a major injury. It was a mistake to bring him back as far as i'm concerned and my feelings are on the record in several threads.

I had them pegged for 9-8. Can't see it at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Ben is running the team, as the OP states, then apparently Tomlin and AR2 aren’t the problem. We can even blame Ben for defensive errors.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Ben is a Douchebag! Always has been and always will be. Someone may have coached him to say things a little differently but he's still the same Terrible person and teammate he's always been (just minus all his physical talents he used to have).

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It was a typo. Should have been an i between u and n…

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He may **** is pants and play poorly, but that you think he can't throw the ball down field shows you don't really know what you are talking about. Rudolph throws a much better deep ball than Roethlisberger now. That isn't his problem. The lack of arm strength really gets him on intermediate throws, the ones that require some zip.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The solution to the offense was Roethlisberger hurting both knees against Dallas. He wasn't right the rest of the season. He is breaking down physically and it shows.

• Agree Agree x 2