1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin announces Dwyer starter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by kwebste6, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ESPN SC NFL - Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer will start Sunday vs. Ravens; return of QB Ben Roethlisberger possible

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Wonder how many series he will play before he gets pulled?

4. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    as long as he doesnt fumble

5. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hope to see 100+ yard game from Dwyer This week

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Regardless of the total, I'd like to see greater than 4 yards per carry

7. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Ok my comments here fit a couple of different topics but they all relate to Dwyer. I was calling for the Rooney's to remind Tomlin what Steeler football is all about. He then could take that to the team and lead. I will say I think the Chief came to Tomlin because or his recent decisions (Which I am very excited about). The first is Dwyer. I'am an just a fan an by no means a football player, therefore I don't know if he's the best starter or not. That said I am glad Tomlin chose a STARTER and relayed his reason to us via the media. I am rooting for Dwyer to kick some serious butt this weekend!

Tomlin's statement that he is aware of Wallace's major struggles and his indication that he may bench him give me hope. I like Wallace alot but I think he takes plays off and give up unless he's running the deep route. Mabe it's the holdout mabe it's his lack of underneath experience I'm no sure but Wallace needed a message.

AB and Emanuel can pick up the slack while Wallace sorts his problems out. Troy and Ben comming back and Decastro possibly playing is good news to me. Mabe I'm drinking coolaid but I think my prayers for leadership have been answered. Tomlin has started what I think is something good but only time will tell. He is holding people accountable, benching players that need time to clear their heads and laying down the law.

Now it's on the players, we need a vocal leader to step up. Mabe it's Clark given his recent comments, but someone needs to step up.

Sorry for the rant but I think Tomlin's onto something and it starts with naming a starting RB. Win or loose, 100 yards rushing or not we need to play Steeler Football. I can handle a loss if we play our butts off and get beat. I can't stand us giving away games. So let me be the first to say I believe in Dwyer and I believe in STEELER FOOTBALL!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Hell, It would be nice if the big name guys would be the leaders on this team and show it on the field! I hate Ray Lewis, but I guarantee he would have been all over the sideline letting those guys know they needed to step up that game on offense and stop messing up!

9. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am glad he has made a commitment. That said, I do not agree with automatically benching a RB because of 1 fumble. Not sure that is the best thing for the team and/or the players psychy. If it becomes a pattern, yes. Of all the fumbles last weeks, Dwyers was due to the best hit. If you stick with him, think he puts it on the ground again?

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Mendenhall had 2 fumbles, not to mention he's really still out of game shape having not played much this year, so I can see the logic in demoting him.

11. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't explicitly talking about Mendenhall, just as a general comment. It seems Tomlin is quick to bech the RBs (any of them), even if they are otherwise playing well, after a single fumble. I could see AP getting yanked if we had him after 1 fumble.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Very interesting....

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I read an interview with one of the running backs the other day (Redman I think?) where he was saying that the benching was basically Kirby Wilson's doing. I'll have to see if I can dig that up.

Here's an interesting quote from Todd Haley today about Dwyer:

[tweet]274253149936685056[/tweet]

[tweet]274253677169090560[/tweet]

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TTF, you brought up a great point earlier this week when Tomlin was taking the heat for the benchings and suggested it may be Haley's doing. I didn't think Kirby would be allowed to bench them? I'd have to see that quote, not calling the OP a liar but if Haley wants so and so in there, he's going in there unless Tomlin is the one doing the benching. It's either Haley or Tomlin, I don't see Kirby having the ability to call that.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I found it. I don't know exactly how much 'say' Coach Wilson has in benching the backs, but this is what I was referencing:

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/2508198a-45b5-4e03-9d3c-de04087181d8/?source=twitter

Steelers RB Issac Redman describes how angry RB-coach Kirby Wilson was on sideline in Cleveland after 4 fumbles:
    Four lost fumbles by four different running backs. The Pittsburgh Steelers stable of backs had an abysmal performance for the ages last Sunday in Cleveland. Naturally, the team's RB-coach Kirby Wilson was livid during the game.

"Oh, man, he was [ticked off] on the field," said the team's 2nd fumbler from Sunday, Issac Redman. "After [Jonathan] Dwyer’s fumble Kirby was all out of energy. He just came to the sideline, ‘Y’all going to make me go with [Chris] Rainey! I’m going to do it! I’m not scared to do it, I’m going to do it!’ I’ve never been a part of anything like that, hopefully it’s just a one-time thing."

The team's head coach Mike Tomlin referenced "not double-arm wrapping the ball when we’re backed up, situational rules that we live by" as a major culprit in the cough-ups, and after watching the tape back Redman agreed.

"When you sit back and you watch the film, especially on my and Rashard [Mendenhall's] fumble, it’s pretty much [not] being disciplined at certain times in the game," Redman said. "We stress in the beginning of the game we double-arm wrap until we get a little rhythm going. Especially on away games, you don’t want to give the home team too much momentum. [Rashard] didn’t double-arm wrap, he fumbled. When we’re backed up [yardage-wise] we double-arm wrap regardless. I had a third-and-long, I fumbled not double-arm wrapping. it’s just not being disciplined, not focused. It’s just unacceptable. I don’t think it has anything to do with not getting the right technique or us needing to work on the right technique, we just need to be more disciplined."

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh you said it, I thought RobVos was the one suggesting it was Kirby. Confusion! So what do you do if you're a coach at this point? A lot of us here get on the coaches about the lack of discipline, but if the coaches are teaching and stressing double arm wrap, and the players know they should be double arm wrapping but still don't, what do you do at that point :shrug:.

17. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    A very good question. The RBs don't often have this problem. So give them another chance, and then... New personnel?

It's like I've been saying... poor player execution. :facepalm:

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have to say, I do like Dwyer.... He probably is a better all around back than Redman.

BUT

if you can ever get Redman going during a game there really is no stopping him, the dude runs really hard, on another level than Dwyer, and if he gets going it is game over for whoever we are playing.

I guess I don't get why Redman is the odd man out here?

19. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He's not the flavor-of-the-month. :roll:

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, I thought that, I was thinking a point goes to those saying it's execution. Obviously the coaches are preaching it.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is the Odd man out because of 2 reasons...The 1st. being Dwyer has been more productive ...The 2nd. being a smart Coaching choice,because we will need a closer and a good 3rd. down RB,Redman brings a lot to the table in that regard....If we come out and run the ball 40 times and throw 15 short passses to the RB'S there will be plenty of work for Redman ....

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    4 YPC is pretty darned good! 3 plays, 12 yards, 1st down!

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Was thinking much the same myself.

25. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Haley on Dwyer: "He has to show that he can take the bulk of the carries without needing a break or taking a few plays off"

^ This. If he can do this than I have no issues with this call. I think it's the right decision and lately i've been pretty impressed with Dwyer. He's my favorite back ATM.