1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin admits to roster mistake

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And while we are being pedantic...(I have to admit I had to look it up to make sure I used it correctly), I listed 8 distinct traits for Tomlin and you went all pedantic on one of them?:smiley1:

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What’s even worse, one week prior it appeared Coach Tomlin understood they had two additional players who could be active on game day when Mark Kaboly of The Athletic asked Coach Tomlin if the Steelers would be taking advantage of the new role which gave them the additional spots.

“I’m not going to give them back,” Tomlin laughed. “I’m definitely going to use them for many of the reasons that we’ve been talking about, this unusual environment in terms of what our guys are capable of. If we have available guys to us, we better use them, but also, just a lack of in-game play and the number of snaps or the limited number of snaps people may be prepared to play or how fatigue may set in on us. The rules allow for us to fortify our depths so we’re going to take advantage of that.”

Per the article above, he understood the rules according to his own words a week prior. He is either incompetent or lied in his taking responsibility blabber.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    "Pedantic"

That is a scary word on a football message board:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If Matt Moore took a look at some of the QB's who beat us in the Playoffs he'd feel even worse.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Might as well get used to Tomlin. He’ll be here for a while.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I agree but back to back loses and all the fan bashing will make him want to look to other opportunities in the future which there will be plenty. I've been known to bash Mike for his decision making, (mostly on field), but people pointing to one less player and then him immediately owning up to it are grasping at straws. It's water under the bridge at this point. Give it up already.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Some other poster listef the 3 playoff wins in 10 years ( which I knew ) but the 3...

The Cincy game , which we should have NEVER won...
    Beat the Matt Moore Dolphins at Home...
    Alex Smith Chiefs...

That is beyond unacceptable! And this years team is loaded...They should at least win a playoff game!

8. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    He's incompetent all right

9. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Why? Why would/ should he still be here if he has ANOTHER underachieving year...With all this talent!

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Tomlin will NEVER look for another job. Why should he? He has infinite job security in an organization which, prior to his arrival, was considered one of the best in all of sports.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Why he has carte blanche has been discussed ad-nauseum and right now is a very bad time to discuss it further.

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Obviously. I've accepted this a long time ago. I'm still going to call him out when he deserves it and show how incompetent he is. Maybe one day Rooney will wake up and do something.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I have no direct evidence for this idea, but consider this:

What if Tomlin is deliberately taking the heat for someone else, but didn't make the mistake.

I was thinking some worker lower in the organization might have forgotten to use the correct form.
    Someone else suggested it could be a discipline issue, the 48th person being left off as punishment.
    (It is better than Belichick benching Butler in the SB, without letting him know why.)

Why would Tomlin do this?
    The Steelers like to deal with problems in-house, rather than air it in public.
    It is a mild embarrassment for Tomlin, but would probably destroy the career of someone lower in the organization.

(That is part of why the team got 9 good years out of AB, before his public behavior made it obvious he was a team "cancer".
    I remember at the time, plenty of people thought Ben made AB act that way.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    One could take any player, coach, fan & look for flaws. On why they did not win the SB. Tomlin isn't perfect, he isn't the best coach to ever live. He is one of the best to give it his best effort, his past record proves that.

It's hard for me to see who could have done a better job coaching this team the past decade. Maybe if Noll was a coach in the new century. I don't see a coach that was around during Tomlin's tenure that did a better job at coaching a football team to success. Belicheat is a better coach but his methods are deplorable. Andy Reid might be but he needed a generational qb to get in the argument. Who else? Who would have faired better than Tomlin? Not some one year wonder but someone who has proven more successful than our underachiever Tomlin?

Haurbaugh? :roflmao:
    No, he forgot how to win playoff games also.

Edit: Payton? You mean the guy that got suspended? :roflmao:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Rooney's agenda is a little different than yours and mine.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, but Harbaugh coached his team to victory over 2 HOF QBs... Manning (Broncos) and Brady (Patriots) en route to Super Bowl 47 victory. Sorry, but I can't picture Tomlin ever pulling something like that off.

If Tomlin can lead his team over the Chiefs and Ravens in the playoffs, I'll change my view on him.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He has also lost to Tannehill, just to name one. Harbaugh has his own set of flaws. One of them is beating the incompetent Tomlin.

Edit: if Ben had the playoff run that Flaccid had, then yeah Tomlin would pull it off.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The only way Tomlin will ever win any "big" games is if the players get on such a role that even he can't **** it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Only Hue Jackson doesn't fit this description, every other coach does...try harder

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ha, I wasn’t interested in having the same old arguments. It was the use of “countless” was over egging the omelette when you meant “four”.

I did forget about Bryant mind. Seems “Killer B’s” ended up meaning something different...

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin lost to Bortles and Tebow. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    :facepalm::facepalm:
    I'll give you that one. Touche

• Like Like x 1
  23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    People conveniently ignore that Ben has been a career underperformer in the playoffs while Flacco played way above his head the year they won it all. Flacco's career playoff numbers are better than Ben's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
  25. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I think Tomlin eventually will leave on his own for a college job...a "mutual" parting of the ways that isn't advertised as such. I don't believe the Steelers will ever win another Super Bowl with Tomlin in charge. They will have playoff wins, but not when it really counts.