1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tolbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Mar 13, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    IF dwyer comes in ready to go i really think he could give red a run for his money. He has some break away speed and explosiveness to him

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: Mike Tolbert

They are different people, but how do you see them as different types of RBs? Redman can catch balls out of the backfield and pass protect, too.

Mendenhall, Redman, and Moore are all excellent third down backs. All can block and all are good receivers. Mendenhall and Redman are both great short yardage backs. Redman might be the best in the league, or close to it.

3. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    So I guess "dancing" is defined as any attempt to stop or change direction to get around a defender? Redman does that every single play. You know who did that all the time? Jerome Bettis. Let me guess your retort: "But Redman and Bettis know how to plow through a guy when the time comes, and have the guts to do it, and Mendenhall just dances around until he is tackled and doesn't get the extra yards." If that's what you were going to say, you're just incorrect. Mendenhall plows through guys all the time, and gets extra yards all the time. But his "ballet" group is mysteriously always in the bathroom for those runs, even if there are 15 of them in the game. But they open their eyes for the one where there are two unblocked defenders in the backfield, and he tries to fake them out and loses a yard. Out come the "cut him" threads. If Redman and Mendy played a game in each other's uniforms, you'd criticize Redman all game long and praise Mendenhall for his power. This is what I meant by Steeler fans at their worst. Some of them are incapable of viewing things as they actually are.

I know he might not be the same after his ACL injury. But he does have a couple of things in his favor: his youth, which will make it more likely to heal, his demonstrated ability to recover 100% from injury, and Kevin Colbert, who has made it clear that he will not rush him back onto the field. We'll have to wait and see. How much do you think we could get for him in trade? Suppose he misses 6 games, minimum. That leaves 10 games left, and no one will have seen him work yet. After that his contract is up. Someone's gonna trade picks for a RB coming off an ACL tear that they haven't seen play yet, for only 10 games?? A healthy Santonio Holmes got us a 5th rounder for 12 games. I guess we could play Mendy for a few games to show he's healthy and then trade him, but now the team that gets him has fewer and fewer games to use him in... He might still bring us a 7th rounder in 2017. That's more value than he could give us on the field!

4. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    "Mendenhall plows through guys all the time, and gets extra yards all the time."

No he doesn't. Especially not on 3rd and 1 or 2.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    On 3rd and 1 or 2 we always line up in a 5 receiver set, so he's not on the field...

6. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011

This is the main point, for me. I get that Tolbert is good. I get that he might fit here. The problem is, we have four or five guys already on the roster who already fit here. Logic and money says leave Tolbert, stick with Dwyer, Batch, maybe even Clay, and let Redman and Mendenhall fight it out for the starting position in camp.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

mendenhall will be ready in november just 2 months before becoming a free agent . the steelers doesn't count on mendy anymore

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :roll:

Well, there certainly are a lot of fans that agree with you. I highly recommend rewatching games and paying honest attention. Hopefully the fact that he is much better than you give him credit for will be exciting news for you, and not disappointing.

9. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  10. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have another take on it. I have seen about 95% of Mendy's carries, and the impression that I have always gotten is that he treats every touch of the football like a business decision. In situations where it is in his business interest (i.e. future payday) to be aggressive and initiate or run though contact, then he does it, and does it pretty well. We saw that in the AFCCG against the Jets, and then again in the 3rd quarter SB until his ill-timed fumble. Those were prime time moments where he was in the spotlight for the whole league to see. We also see it in the regular season down by the goal line (because TDs = bigger future payday). However, in more mundane situations - for example when the team is faced with a 2nd and 6 in the 2nd quarter of a regular season game, and Mendy gets the ball without an obvious hole, you can pretty much bank on him avoiding hard contact by dancing around in the backfield and trying to minimize the hit. On a play like that, he may be limited to a 1 or 2 yard gain if he hits the hole and pushes the pile, but at least it sets the team up in 3rd and 4 instead of the 3rd and 9 that it faces due to his "business decision." Is the talent there? Yep, he has gobs of talent - maybe top 10 RB talent. However, I don't always see that talent in regular season games.

12. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I have another take on it. I have seen about 95% of Mendy's carries, and the impression that I have always gotten is that he treats every touch of the football like a business decision. In situations where it is in his business interest (i.e. future payday) to be aggressive and initiate or run though contact, then he does it, and does it pretty well. We saw that in the AFCCG against the Jets, and then again in the 3rd quarter SB until his ill-timed fumble. Those were prime time moments where he was in the spotlight for the whole league to see. We also see it in the regular season down by the goal line (because TDs = bigger future payday). However, in more mundane situations - for example when the team is faced with a 2nd and 6 in the 2nd quarter of a regular season game, and Mendy gets the ball without an obvious hole, you can pretty much bank on him avoiding hard contact by dancing around in the backfield and trying to minimize the hit. On a play like that, he may be limited to a 1 or 2 yard gain if he hits the hole and pushes the pile, but at least it sets the team up in 3rd and 4 instead of the 3rd and 9 that it faces due to his "business decision." Is the talent there? Yep, he has gobs of talent - maybe top 10 RB talent. However, I don't always see that talent in regular season games.[/quote:1u03bg5p]
    you mean like Franco running out of bounds not wanting to take the hit? to extend his career justsaying

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

He fits, but the timing. They're trying to keep about 8 mil, up front, to keep Wallace here. So, everything is on hold until April. I could see them working a deal with him on the sly that they think they could spare in cash but it would have to be real carefully done, spreading it out over a few years. That's risky as well because I'm sure they would much rather do it for a year or two at the most.

He sounds like he would like to so it wouldn't shock me. The Steelers are good at getting things done under the radar when it behooves all in involved. This would, IMO.

14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
  15. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    This x100. Nobody seemed to have too much of a problem with Franco dancing. And he did dance, for a guy of his size. That was what made him such a great back.

Presumably, he wasn't a 'classic Steelers type player' either...

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not to mention he did it behind a line that opened holes.

if the team doesn't like mendy's production they should quit being so stubburn and cheap and get some linemen to make it happen. art can say all he wants about more production inthe run game, but until they put the line out there to do it, it won't matter what the RB's name is. with that many carries a year soon redman will be dancing too. as a matter of fact he saw what it was like on a few carries when he had nowhere to run to late in the year. it's not about the back either, it's about inept linemen and the way colbert picks them. he is not good at it nor does he seem to care to get much better at it. thats the guy everyone should be talking about not the RB. dancing, yea right , you guys go run behind that line and then talk big. i'll bet nobody was bitchin when mendy took it the distance in OT on the first play with the ball. you can say how willie parker could take it the distance, well he's not even close to TD's that mendy scores. those are the things that they put up on the scoreboard , not yards. watch what you wish for , when teams get on to that spin move, and they will. red could be in for a world of hurt. don't get me wrong, i like redman , but most people always like the backup until he gets the job. :cool:

17. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. One thing that's noticeable about Redman is that he certainly stepped up when needed last season. But this doesn't mean he won't have slumps, have to deal with an injured and underinvested o-line, etc.

18. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011
    [attachment=0:3gsjv2r7]tolbert.jpg[/attachment:3gsjv2r7]

Attached Files:

19. truckin9999

Oct 16, 2011

[attachment=0:5gi2qxcp]tolbert.jpg[/attachment:5gi2qxcp]

Attached Files:

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao: :applaud:

Nothing against the guy. He's a good player. But this was crazy talk.

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Think of it this way, guys: we just cut one of our tough RBs, but still have plenty more, and saved a bunch of cap space that can be used on the OL! Or somewhere else.