1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Todman Tape Eval Correct

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Jan 11, 2016.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It seems Todman is exactly what I thought . He is clearly a great open field runner he sees the field very well .. At the least he should be the kick returner ..As soon as I turned the film on there was no doubt about that...Why is he not doing this ? He is capable of breaking them ..

He needs more runs this week even if DW is back he was 1 block away from going to the house on at least 3 runs ..1 to the house run can change the entire game ..Not sure why we have not been using this guy more ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    May be a good idea since Brown has a concussion. Problem is can we rely on Todman to catch balls??

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know but Fitz ran just as well and can catch. I would continue using them just as they did.

4. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    Fitz was flying making catches. Both those guys played great. Seriously next, next, next man up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Todman fumbled. Tomlin will have him killed as a result. The end of Todman's brief Steeler career. I'm calling it now

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    I forget who but i did see that ball hanging out on a play that brought a bead of sweat and a little buffalo sauce back from the "event horizon".

7. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    He may have found out that Todman's middle name is Boykin.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Yep. He's in the Steelers' Witness Protection Program, aka Tomlin's doghouse, for sure.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Todman should be returning kickoffs, but probably not punts. He's had solid success at both the NFL and college level as a kickoff returner, but I don't recall him ever returning a punt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have not seen any tape on returning punts either , but we agree completely that he should be the KR ..... What puzzles me is as good as his tape looks why did they even get Jacoby ? Why is Wheaton back there ? When a guy is clearly better I just don't understand why ?

11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Him not returning KO is probably due to roster spot issues and other things he can/can't do. I believe he had been inactive before DWill went down. Don't think we can have someone so specialized (when DWill returns) taking up a spot on the active roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I got one a guy with 8 snaps that didn't add much value in those snaps... Cam Thomas let Todman take his place ...It took me all of 10 seconds to decide that Todman would and does have more value than him.. Why can't the Coaches see that ?

13. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Eh, that was a pretty important fumble recovery. Think that was right before you called "game over" in the 3rd quarter. :lolol:;)

14. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Because they have to actually be realistic and logical with the game day roster. Dressing no backup DE's is.... well it's just dumb. There are other places to get a helmet that don't leave the team out to dry in the trenches. Most likely, from the LB group that is dressing 9-10 guys on gameday.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The steelers led in every stat in this game, the most unexpected and a little amazing stat though, was they ran the ball for 167 yards by committee and the bengals contributed to our run game by playing pass the whole game buying into the hype that we couldnt run the ball....

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He just right place right time not that he made a great play or something...

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would play big Dan at DE if I had to...Mcclendon can play that spot .. Heck Dupree is even big enough and has more skill than Cam...All those LB'S had lots of ST snaps .. I am trying to make that unit stronger by adding Todman ...So no it wouldn't be dumb I wouldn't hurt a unit when there is no reason to.. The 3 above would all be better than Cam just as Todman would be a lot better than Wheaton thus fielding a stronger Team ....BU be damned think outside the box and field the very best Team that you can ...

The best player should play period ...You find a way to make it work...

18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Dupree is not big enough to play that spot. Don't be ridiculous.

Nobody is praising Cam Thomas, but you can't go into a game with 4 DL dressed... only 1 backup, for 3 spots. it's completely boneheaded. You ARE hurting the team.

There are plenty of ways to get Todman a helmet, that doesn't involved limiting your formations, ability to spell downs, and putting you a single injury away from not being able to use some of your playbook.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually a lot of Teams play 270 lb guys at DE . Its called a Nascar package . A lot of Teams also use a 1-5-5 with only 1 DL and 5 LB'S . I would try to employ that to cover for those snaps that Cam gets... How many plays has Cam made this year ? One could argue had we been in a Nascar package the smaller faster guy could have scooped and scored....

The bottom line is no way should Wheaton be returning kicks when we have Todman .. I am not on the field day in and day out to be able to determine which LB that we could sit, however the tape shows clearly that Todman should be the KR ...

The way Ben is playing the Team should be trying to create splash plays and create better field position any way they can ..

20. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You know what a lot of team's DON'T do... invent new lineups/packages in the middle of the playoffs to accomodate a roster spot for a KR... a KR in Denver no less (it's gonna be Touchbacks galore)

Dupree playing 5 tech is ludicrous.

It's not about the 10 snaps that Cam might get, it's about the other 90% of the snaps that go to Heyward and Tuitt. If one goes down... in a playoff game. And you're out there inventing new packages/lineups with Dupree/McCullers... all because you didn't dress your backup DE in favor of some kick return help, or in favor of dressing 10 LBers.

Crazy Silly

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You have to dress Todman this week because even if D Will gives it a go you can't assume he's not gonna re injure himself ,the same goes for Will J we can't take a chance of him re aggravating his hamstring after two plays. I say if D Will is a probable you sit Will J. Go into the game with 3 RBs and that being the case you let Todman return kick offs....

22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I think you dress Todman no matter what. Kick offs are irrelevant in Denver.

But you don't handicap your Dline to get him a helmet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree on the kick offs probably not being a factor but if he's playing then he should at least be back there. Totally agree about the DL ,Cam isn't very good but he at least provides a breather in the altitude

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    NFL.COM has highlights for both runners on Youtube.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is looking like AB probably won't go all the more reason to try and bust a KO ..Denver probably won't kick every kick out of the endzone . I would be in favor of Todman taking it out from 8 deep esp. if the Offense is sputtering ..The best player to sit is probably WJ , but I don't think the Team would miss Cam either . Putting in a 1-5-5 would not be hard at all, it would take all of 5 minutes tell this lb he has the TB tell this LB he has the FB , if run away you fill this gap if run towards you fill this gap..All the blitzes and stunts would still be the same and we would have more coverage types on the field ... A lot easier for the D to run than it would be for the OL to know who to block...

• Disagree Disagree x 1