1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Todd Haley Would Ask Mike Tomlin How Many Points Steelers Needed, Base Game Plan Around His Answer

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 6, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The team's lack of preparation and/or coaching failures in recent playoff games has nothing to do with the scenario in the original post tho. They are certainly failures that have a lot to do with Coach T for sure, but I just don't see how they are relevant to the discussion at hand.

The gameplan always has to change in game when things don't go according to plan (which is like 99% of the time in professional sports, and really just team competitive sports in general). That doesn't mean you gameplan for chaos, otherwise you've prepared for failure. You gameplan to a script to the best of your ability and make the necessary adjustments when the need arises.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I always thought it was Ben not be on the same page with the OC and then we would go to no huddle and Ben would play backyard ball.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ben was no longer a backyard ball QB in the second part of his career when it was Haley the OC....And he had zero problem in the first quarter with Whisenhunt as OC.He had a monster 144 QB rating in the first quarter in 2005!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I like that analogy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it has been decades

6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    That is interesting. He still maintained that ability though to play that way when needed to throughout his career until the last few years.

7. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    True but he was still a different QB in the Haley era that he was in the Bruce Arians era...More balanced in the Haley era

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't believe we have ever come close to the magical average
    of thirty points per game under MT and all the talent that he had
    Under him?

9. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    They have never done that over an entire season which btw only 1-2 teams do that per year and sometimes it's 0 like last year in the NFL....But in the final 10 game in 2014, they did that when Bryant was in the starting lineup over a scrub like Justin Brown...It was a major difference...in 2015, they had 30 points or more in 7 of the 12 games that Roethlisberger was healthy, but of course came playoffs time, the steelers were down to their 3rd RB, AB was out vs broncos and Ben was playing injured too after a dirty hit by Burfict.They were also first or second in point per drive with Ben as QB that year

In 2017, they had 30 PPG I believe in their final 8 games too

Big problem was their availability in this offense, due to suspension,holdout or injury at the worst possible time

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Why didn't Tomlin just say 30 then? Every week. Doesn't make sense.