1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Todd Haley Firing was the Begining of AB Saga

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Feb 20, 2019.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    "They're kids. Scare 'em."

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    AB has most likely been acting like a jackass since childhood. That is besides the point. There is a difference between acting like a jackass and being disgruntled. AB was probably slightly disgruntled during the end of the 2017 season. He became full blown disgruntled when Ben was able to push Haley out by threatening retirement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Go listen to the radio interview in question or at least read the transcript. Ben is asked about the new playbook(haley’s) to which he replies he hasn’t seen it. The only thing he had seen was a play on a chalkboard and jokingly said I’m going to need a Rosetta Stone. They (including Ben) were laughing during the segment. It was a joke, but people like yourself have transformed it into this giant deal.

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

How do you know Haley wasn’t already on his way out? Oh that’s right you don’t. You’re speculating and claiming it as fact.

5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

How do you know Fichtner wasn’t in his corner? You don’t know anything about what happens inside the locker room. For all we know Haley and AB butted heads repeatedly. You’re just making assumptions that there was this giant love affair between Haley and AB. When in reality it is just exactly to have been the exact opposite. It isn’t exactly out of character for AB to get into it with players.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No one knows including you . So if you do ,enlighten us please. It isn’t a stretch when Haley has always spoken well of AB and maybe you missed the hug during the Cleveland game . Or was that AB trying to pick him up and body slam him? Fichtner may have a good relationship as well but considering he was the QB coach for Ben for years it makes more sense that he and Ben had a much closer relationship. Most of what is discussed here are assumptions. So again show us your opinion is fact. AB getting into it with players? I must of missed that. Even with all the reports of him being a insubordinate many former and current players laughed it off. All the veterans that were quoted when this fiasco broke still wanted him back. No one is saying AB didn’t act like a ass we are saying the Ben/Haley conflict didn’t help. If you don’t think Bens lack of a relationship with Haley helped lead to him not being brought back you’d be wrong. Just look at Colbert gushing over Ben. But Ben had no impact on the decision,please.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not interested in a long debate ,sorry. If you want just google Ben R and Rosetta Stone there are plenty articles highlighting that it was a stupid and unnecessary comment. Just like the laundry list of others he has to his name. Great QB but he puts the " ass " in passive/agressive. . Straight up fact. No translation or assumption needed. That's my entire point.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Dude you can read his comment for yourself. It’s ****ing linked in the piece you posted. Instead you choose to believe a tiny portion of a comment. You’re reading into what you want it to be instead of actually reading or for that matter listening to what was said. The actual recording is linked as well. If there was an actual complaint it would have been included in the article. It’s freaking clickbait and you just gobble it up.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah your right it's no big deal. Writers just decided to write multiple articles about it for no reason. They should of checked with you first so they didn't waste their time. Any of his other P/A comments you want to defend? There's plenty more to choose from. ....

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Listen to the freaking interview!

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben Roethlisberger Needs to Stop Complaining About Pittsburgh Steelers Playbook

But his repeated public comments about the playbook's complexity simply must stop.

Yup. That's what he should of done.....
    The article couldn't be more accurate.

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    “That one’s a little harder than the Miami ones I was doing,” Roethlisberger said after he left another of Haley’s classes Wednesday at the Steelers facility on the South Side. “I joke and say that my final paper for Miami on Tibet was a lot easier than the Rosetta Stone we’re doing now here.”

There’s his freaking comment. Do you notice the use of quotation marks? Do you understand their use? Do you know the difference between reporting and an oped(opinion/editorial)?
    As mentioned before you can listen to the radio interview where the rosette Stone first came upas well. Neither of them suit your narrative so I’m sure you will refuse.

https://kansascity.sbnation.com/kan...erger-todd-haley-playbook-pittsburgh-steelers

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not his only freakin comment as noted in bold print I copied from the first link....

The last thing that stuck out in the interview was when Roethlisberger was asked about what he knows so far about the new offense that offensive coordinator Todd Haley will be installing. The quarterback answered, “I do know some stuff from obviously being in the building and walking by the rooms, sneaking in the rooms by myself and trying to look at things, because you can\’t meet and talk football. So I walked into the rooms to see what was kind of going on and I thought I picked up a Rosetta Stone book. Yeah I see some stuff and we\’re going to need to meet this week, trust me, because we\’ve got to figure some stuff out.”

They hadn't even met yet and he's already being a P/A jerk about it....that comment is before the one you posted.....
    Does that fit your narrative? I'll say it again ,any other P/A statements of his you want to defend?
    Funny how Ben has a tendency to backtrack on his comments and then says he was only joking. Textbook P/A behavior.....fact.

Notice the quotation marks and their proper use?

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Aaahhhh! You're making it all up in your head.....phooey ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Why don't you take the time to read through the thread before you post. I stated this was an opinion piece from the beginning. I have said point blank, as have others that this is a "theory". I even said in another post that this was a bit of a "tin foil hat thread". I never once tried to sell this as absolute fact. I believe my opinion is correct. There is a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    B0C83AB4-E642-4C6F-B00E-BF88CDBDD40F.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    No one has said there was a giant love affair between Haley and AB. No one has even said they are friends. What has been stated is the AB liked that Haley fed him the ball, and was angry that Ben got him fired. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There should be no question in any intelligent person’s noggin that Ben is exceptionally passive aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I had no idea until steeldeal referenced Passive aggressive like 500 times in his posts.

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn't want you to fall into the category Jeh is describing.....A day where there is nothing learned....is a day wasted. You're welcome!

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol

25. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Just my theory....

In his mind, this was to be ABs year. Being on the madden cover and getting a big contract fed his ego and he formed certain expectations for the year.

I think the offensive philosophy changed slightly when Fichtner succeeded Haley. The gameplan was no longer emphasized on feeding the ball to AB at all costs in order to be successful. Instead They found other ways of winning matchups and exploited them. Perhaps this was encouraged by Fichtner. In the past, Haley has said AB is the best WR he has ever coached and if we trailed in games, AB was always his Ace in the hole.

When we started losing at the end of the season, I think AB thought he would see a return emphasis on feeding him the ball, especially as the pressure mounted to get in the playoffs. When the gameplan stayed the same...let AB draw double coverages all game and give the ball to Juju, it rubbed him the wrong way. In his mind, he wanted to be the savior, the undeniable offensive weapon that all teams gameplan for and still can’t be stopped like in years past. However, in order to be that, he needed a gameplan that would afford him the opportunity; Ben had to be willing to take those chances and simply trust that against all odds, AB would continue make the amazing plays despite double coverage.

My guess is Ben became much more conservative on taking those chances (as he should), especially with the success of JuJu. At practice, AB thinks he’s open, at least based on the standards that were set in the past in which Ben would have taken that shot. Instead, Ben overlooks him or continues to look for the safer option. Frustration causes AB to explode and accuses Ben of not wanting it enough to take a shot that could be a Brown game winning TD.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019