1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

To all the Wallace Haters

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by beastlyqb7, Mar 1, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't like him because he's not my kind of player. I like WR's that play the game like Ward did. Wallace is soft. Now he's got loads of talent, there's no denying that, but he is a bit of a one trick pony. He runs basically 2 routes, a Go route and a slant.

Do I want to get rid of Wallace? No. Do I want to get rid of Wallace and get a 1st round pick in return? Yes.

I don't want us to continue to throw deep every 5th play, nor do I think Haley will run the offence like that. So Wallace's biggest skill is already going to be used far less than in the past when all we did is throw deep. Haley likes to run the ball and he likes using his TE. The Rooney's have stated in the past more emphasis needs to be placed on running the ball. That doesn't bode well for the deep ball, which doesn't bode well for Wallace. Not to mention Ben doesn't throw a good deep ball. I just think Wallace's value is as high as it's ever going to get and with our offence likely changing directions, his usefullness is going to be limited.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I love the way Ward played too, but you have to admit that he is one of a kind. Brown is also an unusual WR. When it comes to "toughness", most receivers are just like Wallace. Even big bad Terrell Owens was a total wuss. I don't know where the one trick pony stuff comes from. Tomlin said it originally to motivate him, and then as a joke. Wallace runs all the routes. He goes over the middle. CBs have no choice but to give him an enormous cushion and open up stop routes, out routes, slants, smokes... He draws so much coverage that teams have no choice but to give less attention to Antonio Brown and Sanders than they should. Toughness is a great quality to have in a player, but it doesn't trump everything. It doesn't even trump basic things like talent and ability. Ben is tough and that's awesome, but if he couldn't throw and make good decisions he'd be coaching some high school team. You do NOT get rid of the things Wallace can do just because he doesn't fit your exact idea of the perfect player or perfect Steeler. You can't have a team full of tough players. You just can't. You need everything. If I could have traded some of the good tough players we've had in the past for "soft" guys as good as Wallace, I'd have done it time and time again.

3. 1trickpony

1trickpony New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Mike Wallace is a very good player with only room to improve. Why would we give-up on a promising player willing to work hard and improve his game. A draft pick is just that, a draft pick no guarantee he will even come close to what Wallace is now. Have we steelers fan forgot about SWEED? I know we want to but c'mon man! a draft pick for a proven player? really. The only reason the most of you are calling Wallace a "one trick pony" is because our (one trick coach) said it in a new conference. If maybe our (one trick qb) could get him the ball when he is open we wouldn't be talking about Wallace's ball skills and if our (one trick qb) don't get any better Brown career won't be long.