1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

To all the Wallace Haters

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by beastlyqb7, Mar 1, 2012.

1. beastlyqb7

beastlyqb7 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If you look at all the best WR's in the league, they aren't one trick burners like Wallace. They don't rely on the deep ball to put up numbers. The deep ball isn't overly successful, especially when Ben is throwing it. We need WR's who can do everything, and that's not Wallace. I would take Brown over Wallace every day of the week, but Brown isn't a true #1 either. We need a Bowe type receiver.

3. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

4. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Brown is league's better than Wallace. I still really like Wallace, but the only thing he can do is sometimes catch the deep hall. Brown has a number of very acrobatic difficult catches to his name already.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would rather they keep him and see if Haley can develop his game but if he goes and we get a first round pick that's nice too.

6. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I personally want the pick more than Wallace, but I see your point.

Haley has hinted at getting the running game going again and using Heath Miller more. If those two things do happen, and if Ben is reigned in a bit when it comes to which plays are called and how they are executed, we're not going to be throwing the deep ball 10+ times per game like we used to. If we're not going to throw deep a lot, I don't see the value in Wallace anymore. He's pretty much only a deep threat. He's also a threat to take the slant to the house, but that's simply not going to happen very often at all. Once in the red zone, Wallace is almost useless. Part of the reason we struggled in scoring is we don't have a red zone threat. If we're going to pay a WR top money, I'd much rather a Bowe, VJax, Colston, Wayne, etc. Reggie Wayne isn't a long term solution, but he could be a great 2-3 year guy until we address the WR position through the draft. I don't think that will happen obviously, but it wouldn't be a terrible thing if it did.

7. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Wallace makes Brown look much better than he is-sure he has great hands, but he is going against the 2nd corner with no safety health. I never appreciate it until I went to a game, but Wallace gets the safety stacked over the corner (both turn and sprint at the snap) and a backer peals to his side-Brown better get open. Both have so much upside.

All that said: WRs are a dime a dozen-how many great recievers develop every year?

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have to say I am really confused and don't understand all this dislike and disrespect for Wallace.

I hate to bring up Brown because I love his game and he's the only new generation jersey I bought (2 years ago). They are different players. Why do peole feel they have to choose or be in one camp or the other. It's silly.

Late last season, I remember Wallace picking up a huge gain in a crossing pattern and getting to the 1yrd line in the corner of the field and FIGHTING HARD to get in the end zone. He didn't, but I was sure he gave 100%. Forget what game for the life of me. It was a big one though. Maybe ravens.

My only criticism is that it seems he hasn't learned to slow up for the deep ball that BIG Ben can't to him most of the time.

I want to see some clips of him NOT trying hard enough to remind me before I can agree with any of his critics.

You guys are nuts!

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Removed because I'm a dumbarse and just re-posted the original article.

10. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    They claimed they were going to hype for sake of agent comparison, but nothing seemed to be an over the top embellishment to me and I can't find anything I disagree with. Pay the man. Just not 9 million.... A first round pick can still be a bust. Wahtever you think about Wallace, he's def not a bust by any stretch of the imagination.

He's only been a pleasant surprise and everyone wants to send him packing.... (for an unproven guy who get the money Wallace anyway)

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm surprised there's no tag on Wallace. Letting Foote and Farrior go would clear the $$ room but perhaps they can't do those cuts yet?

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Why would they tag him at $9 million when they can get him for much less? That doesn't make sense.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what do you guys mean all he can do is go deep? :bscow: get a clue. :cool:

14. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    Oh, I don't disagree with you that Wallace opens the field for Brown. I think they definitely compliment each other, but if Wallace gets covered on the deep ball, he becomes mediocre at best where as Brown makes the catch despite being covered or hit after making the initial catch. I want to keep both, but Brown is better IMO

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    This has been an interesting thread.
    For one thing, I will say, that was a cute read, on how an agent would try to hype up Wallace`s value.
    Comparing him to Braylon Edwards, is NOT how I would try to prove his worth to OUR organization... I am pretty sure the Rooney`s would want no part of Edward`s off field/character issues... ;)
    And, at the same time, it is a great case study in how there are lies, damn lies, and STATISTICS!!!
    When they try to extrapolate what would happen with a "healthy" Ben...
    Oh... Wait... another poster already put that to rest...
    I don`t hate on Wallace...
    I also don`t think he is as good as he thinks he is...
    What I think, is that he is a great threat to have on the field, to make our other recievers better, by the fact, that the D has to be scared of his speed.
    When he shows me more determination to catch the ball, whether a defender is draped all over him, or not, and when he shows me that he can lay someone out like Hines Ward, and when he gets a little better at getting yards after the catch(which he has shown flashes of doing, already)... THEN I would be willing to annoint him a "special" reciever, that we absolutely MUST have on our team...
    As far as him having to slow down to catch a deep ball, I gotta put that on our qb.... As strong as Ben`s arm is... he rarely seems to get the ball to Wallace in stride on a deep route. Even after he said that he learned how fast Wallace was, and how to do that better, when he was suspended for the first 4 games 2 years ago, and claimed he learned a lot by watching on tv.
    .. he STILL seems to underthrow him a lot. I suspect most qb`s in the league would, also... the kid is just CRAZY fast...
    That part is not Mike`s fault... hit him in stride, he will score every time...
    Overall, I think we need him on our team, just to make the rest of our recievers better, and if we have him long enough, that he grows into being a complete reciever, that is willing to make tough catches, block for his teamates, and fight for yards after he gets the ball, then he will be worth every penny we pay him.
    He would also be the next Hines Ward, holding all of our records...
    But those type of players come around very rarely... and so far, I just don`t see all that out of him.
    Right now, I think we need him, but I would be surprised if he blossoms into a selfless, complete reciever, the likes of Hines.

16. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    For statistics sake - I think he and Ben need 1 or 2 more pass plays to beat Manning and Wayne for the record of a QB to WR tandem of 40+ yards all time (14). An he's only been in the league three years, with Ben being out 5 or 6 games and under throwing him A LOT!!!

17. Woodley's Woodies

Woodley's Woodies Active Member

Dec 16, 2011
    We should keep Mike Wallace. He has been a sensational talent that complements Brown perfectly and will occasionally put away a game in one play (Arizona, I think it was 95 yard pass? Big Ben gave him a little wink and he motioned across and was off to the races), which is in and of itself worth paying for.

The huge factor here that no one is talking about, and is arguably a major factor, is which team ends up trying to pick him up. If the Ravens, Patriots, Bengals make a legitimate push for him, we absolutely have to overpay to keep him. The reality is we can't let us direct competitors get so much better at our expense. Can you imagine him with the Patsies or even Bengals with AJ and Wallace?

If, instead, he goes to some random NFC team, I think your thought process becomes a lot different.

18. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I do not get the hate. He is not perfect, but he is very good. I hope a contract is agreed on.

19. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    In 2007 and 2009, Randy Moss had 16 40+ yard receptions. Presumably most of those (like 15 or all 16) came from Brady. Moss also had 14 in 1998, most of which must have come from Cunningham, not to mention the next few years (I don't remember how long it was before Culpepper became their QB).

Moss was the first player who came to mind (not Rice), but then there's Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, James Lofton, Cris Carter, etc. Where did you get that statistic about Manning and Wayne?

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is going just the way I thought it would.......I do think he will get some offers,,,as I stated if they are reasonable he will be on our Team if not we will save the cash and use the draft......

Keep in mind the new CBA rookie pay scale favors the Team with the Cap,,,I read somewhere that 1st. round players cost about 50% of what they use to....So if my thinking is correct the 2 First round picks would probably cost less than a 60 Million Dollar Wallace contract.....

As I stated in the other thread,, a extra 1st. round pick could easily become a 2nd. and a 3rd. we have a lot of players leaving and we tend to draft very well so I think we could do a lot with 5 players in the first 3 rounds while helping our Cap situation.....All we would be giving up is a speed WR and we still have 2 on the roster plus how much will Haley call the Deep Ball?

I for one hope he gets a bunch of offer sheets,,,,if not the Team saved 7 mil by going with the Tender....It really was the only move to make IMO....

21. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Absolutely.
    I'm gonna have to pull the 'do these people actually watch the games AND understand what is going on?' card.

If we lose him, it's not because we have his immediate replacement.

22. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    In my opinion, losing Wallace will sting. He and Brown compliment each other well. Without Wallace to keep opposing DB's honest, AB will receive extra attention and his numbers will drop. I'm glad he wasn't franchised (too much money), but I really hope Wallace stays a Steeler for the foreseeable future.

23. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    That was the game. I was at the game with my Mom and had just told her that I just wanted to see a Mike Wallace TD bomb... 30 seconds later we were all on our feet screaming :yeehaw:

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Its not that we don't like 60 minutes, we just don't think he should be making 10 mil/yr
    he is not in Larry Fitz's league. Lets see a couple more years out of all these three receivers
    then we can talk Larry money.

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Lots of people around here actually don't like him. They think he's soft, that he has no skills except speed, that he has no hands... About a month ago I was talking about Mendenhall and how people around here seem to base their opinions more on other MB members than actual games and performances, and I made a joke along the lines of "What's next, people are going to turn on Mike Wallace?" and sure enough...