1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

To all the BA haters out there

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jan 18, 2012.

1. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Like the Detroit Lions -- they had a pretty high powered offense for sure, and they certainly are not loaded with vets. Carolina was also a pretty high powered offense too, not loaded with vets. Even the Eagles, they have a lot of young guys on their offense.

[These stats are commonplace in todays league, 4000 yards is nothing for a QB anymore, 1000yards for receivers is old hat. Yet we are in the bottom 1/3 in scoring.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We fail to use a Power running scheme,,,that's the start of the problem......We then fail to use the PA Pass.....After that we fail to design and call plays that Attack what the D is doing......To futhur complicate that we use our best option as a blocker in the Redzone....Miller should be split out some,he should be in the bunch,he should be the motion guy heading into patterns and the Goal line package should be ran using these strategies....

The proof is in the stats Speed is great if given room ,but when you get into the Zone it's time to out smart,out power,and out Coach the other Team.....We fail at this year in and year out and game in and game out....If we know we are going to run the spread then we need a Big WR to put in those packages...Small,fast guys are to easily tacken away esp. if your best skill at the QB position is running around extending the play...If Ben was a Pre Snap guy then this approach might work,,,,but he is not so we need well designed plays that force the 1 on 1 and use that to help us score the ball.......

It is really that simple use the PA and use the TE'S and then the WR'S will start to become wide open just like we see other Teams do....

3. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

When Arians was given the job, I remember reports coming out that other players and teams were privately "laughing" over it. I was already unsure of Arians at that point. Then came his ideology, in which he talked about a lot of three TE sets, a la the Redskins. IN FACT, Arians entire offensive system seemed to be borrowed from the Joe Gibbs/Joe Theisman days, which wouldn't be a bad thing, except...Arians never implemented any of it. He talked a lot of talk, especially about creating a "pont backfield"...that never happened either. Instead, he got rid of the FB with no mindset in terms of running the ball. Willie Parker immediately stated he didn't like the system and preferred running behind a lead blocker. THIS WAS JUST YEAR ONE.

I don't know how else to slice it for BA apologists. Many others and I have posted numbers, stats, evidence, anything that is needed...point is, the offense flat out sucks. Take into consideration that Ben and Bruce have been working together for five years now and have NOT progressed. AT ALL.

I can tolerate an offense that scores only 20 pts per game when it is a big, bruising, ball control, physical offense--see San Fran and Baltimore. Instead, we have a finesse offense that acts like it is New Orleans or New England--with a pass-first mentality and empty sets--when in fact it can't even come close to the production of those units.

4. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The kicker for me, and all you need to know about Bruce, was summed up one night on NFL Total Access, with Rod Woodson breaking down the Steelers offense, and he couldn't contain his laughter. He was critical of the Steelers' playcalling (this was in 2009, I believe). They showed highlight after highlight of the Steelers being in 2nd and 3 or 2nd and 2, and going empty set. Woodson was beside himself.

"Why in the world are you taking the running backs out on a 2nd down and short??? Why would you telegraph to the defense that you have no interest in running the football? You've just gained eight yards on first down, and now you're telling the D they don't have to worry about playing the run."

Indeed.

Bruce has gotten better at this since, but it's the prime example that we have an idiot for an OC.

5. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I can't see how the youth on offense has effected it in a negative way. Injuries hurt but every team has to deal with that.

Wallace over 1000 yards, makes the probowl
    Brown over 1000 yards rec & returns, probowl & team MVP
    Pouncey, best guy on the o-line 2nd straight probowl.

Gilbert was solid, Redman was effective when he got the chance. What young guy held the Steelers back this year?

6. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    well, i'm sure a lot of oc's have an idea of their ideal system but, upon arrival, find that the players they have to work with simply don't fit the scheme they want to use. think the offense the broncos are running is what the oc likes to do?

ben is the variable here that changes the entire game plan. personally, i'd like us to run an offense similar to the bengals and bills of the late eighties. the sugar huddle. ben is SO much more effective when he is working out of the no huddle and calling his own plays. ben's style of play really eliminates a lot of what any oc would like to do.

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    And the Pats have the 31st rank defense in the league and we had the 1st rank defense in the league and we are at home and the Patriots are still in.

Tim Tebow had the worst quarterback ranking in football and he beat us.

the point is you can't go by stats.

8. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    so guys what about that Giant horse those Trojans gave us? Pretty awesome huh, our Leaders accepted it, I trust them completely. Surely they can't be wrong and a peon's, such as myself, concerns has no just claim.

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    In 09 we slept the year. BA was 12-4 in 08, 10 and 11. I think he is doing good guys

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pro bowl dont equal knowing how to get open in the redzone. Thats where the experience comes in.

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    The rooneys arent the trojans and its football. Im sticking with the family that has been part of pro football for 110+ years.

12. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    He can't be any worse.

13. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A couple of years ago when I grew tired of BA's inept situational playcalling I preferred that if he did come back he should be off the sidelines and up in the booth where he can see more clearly what is going on from a play developmental point of view. Anybody can randomly pick from a very limited playbook and call the play according to only down and distance but it takes a more visionary OC to run an offense to its greatest potential.

I don't know the ratio of Sideline OC's versus Booth OC's within the league but I think having the guy up in the booth is a big advantage when it comes to offensive playcalling. Defense not so much, but for the offense it certainly can't hurt an OC like BA.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree with thay the oc needs to see the whole field and how everything is unfolding. Heck on my pee wee football team pur oc sits at the top of the bleachers and we use radios. So i completely agrre with you there.

15. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't give a crap about fantasy football, I care about winning games... yards don't do that points do.

16. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:

Between the 20s, we move the ball pretty well, but our TD production is awful. Our offense seems to have a lack of identity. It's like we get close, and then don't know what to do, and it becomes the keystone kops inside the redzone.

How many 30+ yard TDs did we have this season compared to redzone TDs? Out of curiosity.

17. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Has nothing to do with...empty back fields, 5 wide receiver sets in the red zone, worthless tight end in the backfield, Ben doing what he wants...when he wants..no matter the situation...yada..yada.. Ariens is a pawn in the game of life...Bens puppet

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    12-4 with a hospital ward isnt winning damn this whole time i thought you put the wins first when saying the record

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If there's a problem with the young guys getting TD's, when Arians needs to acknowledge that fact and use Ward and Heath more often. Instead, Ward and Heath are rarely used. There's simply no reason to completely ignore those two in the passing game, especially in the red zone. Like Ward says, he never had speed, so how could he lose it? He hasn't lost nearly as much as some people think. He's slow but he's always been slow. He knows how to get open, including in the red zone. The fact that Ariens doesn't use him is just another reason to blame Arians for our red zone woes.

20. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think Ward is as slow as everyone makes him out to be. I think we're just gettin' used to Brown and (what's his name) :D Oh yeah! Wallace running by defenders like Tazmanian Devils, but even with their speed where has it gotten us :shrug:

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Trust me im not saying arains is perfect but there are a whole lot worse out there and we are winning so why fix what isnt broke.

22. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  23. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Because we're not winning due to our offence. With the players we have on offence, we were 21st overall in points for. That's unacceptable and next year when we have a much tougher schedule, if we don't score more points, we're not going to have a good record, and likely won't get far in the playoffs if we even make it at all.

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    21st is unacceptable i agree but i think he has earned another year and a chance to fix it. Lets see what he can do with a healthy team.

25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    When on earth did he earn it? We've always been in the bottom half of the league in scoring since he came to town. If the Steelers were .500 or under every year for 5 years, you guys would be screaming for Tomlin to be fired. Being in the bottom half of the league on a consistent basis is not earning anything.