1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

To all of those that live out of PGH. area...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by snipit73, Jan 15, 2012.

1. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :yeehaw: I know yinz are everywhere! How or why are yinz Steeler fans?

Me personally. I lived in the burg area (Shaler) for 41 years before moving to the Clev. area. Been a fan since the late 60s when my dad would take me or one of my brothers to Three Rivers, they were some memorable times!! Sorry to say I haven't been to the new stadium yet but I hope to change that next year! So what's your story?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fan since 76, brother is a big Cowboys fan, wanted to bet me on the game, I was to young to know anything so ask my dad what to do, looked at me very confidently and with a nod of his head said, "take the Steelers", been a fan ever since. :towel:

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    San Diego county. Jumped on the Steeler bandwagon in '72 and have HATED the Chargers ever since.

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Richmond, VA is Redskins country but there are a lot of Steelers fans, partly because there are quite a few people here from Pennsylvania.

5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    From Indiana. Love the steelers. People around here think the colts are gods team. Yeah ok.

6. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Cleveland area here. Born and raised unfortunately. I'd rather be in the Burgh, though. :yeehaw:

7. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Northern California..hoping the niners get crushed next week..can't stand Harbaugh or their fans..I do not want them to even sniff the SB

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Born in Clarion PA and have lived in Grand Forks ND for 34 years but nothing will change my love of the black and gold.

9. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Florida Native, my father is from Pittsburgh area. Penn hills to be exact.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I answered this in a stickied thread.

I'm from PA. Lived in PA most of my life aside from some years spent in the military.

But I'm a few hours away from Pittsburgh on the other side of the state.

The thing is, when I was very young, and latched onto the Steelers, I didn't understand or know how far away Pittsburgh was. All I knew was they were from PA, and that was good enough by me. :)

Now, growing up, I lived in an area that was very blue collar. Coal, unions, and many men worked in the steel industry. I had a few uncles working at Bethlehem Steel. My Dad was a member of the Steelworkers union (as I am today). Frankly, even though Philly is closer, this area has far more in common with the Pittsburgh area than Philadelphia.

All of that is just icing on the cake though. I chose the Steelers before I even fully understood what football was. It probably wouldn't matter if I lived in Sri Lanka.

11. jamesmoran

jamesmoran New Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I am a 31 yr old American but lived in BIrmingham England since I was 10. My dad is from Steubenville,Ohio and was always a massive steeler fan growing up. I naturally followed in his footsteps. I have never been to Heinz field but I hope to do so very soon :yeehaw:

12. robsong

robsong Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I took a bet from my friend when I was twelve years old when the Steelers played the Rams in Superbowl XIV. From that day on I've been a Steeler fan and never looked back. I live in North California. GO STEELERS!!! :towel:

13. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Born in Altoona, in the 50's, Steelers for life. When I was a little kid, they were pretty bad, but I loved going to games with my Dad.

14. SoCalBlitzBurgh

SoCalBlitzBurgh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Born in Pittsburgh in 68, lived there utill age 4 and then lived all over PA. Great great grandparents come over from Ireland to the Burgh, so I come from generations of Steeler fans. Been a Steeler fan since I can remember. Moved to San Deigo in 94 and will never forget all the crap I took from Charger fans when they beat us in the AFC Championship. Its been pretty cool to watch our success ever since, while the Chargers have been horrible :yeehaw:

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I was born and raised in SoCal. In summer of 1974, when I was six, Terry Bradshaw appeared on the cover of SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

I thought that helmet was really, really cool. Well, my cousin had one of those electronic football games:

http://spookyshobbyshop.com/Tudor%20Ele ... 0Rams.html

He had all the teams. So after seeing that SI cover, I always wanted to to be the team "with the black helmet"--the Steelers. I liked their uniforms too.

That started it. Silly, I know. But I was six, so give me a break. LOL.

In any case, that season I started following the team. I remember the first time I watched them play was when they got shutout by oakland in week 3--I bawled because they lost. But they went on and won the Super Bowl, of course.

In 1975, when the Steelers came to L.A. to play the Rams, my father took me to the game. But beforehand, we went to the Century Plaza Hotel where the team was staying, and I met most of the players and got their autographs. If someone can tell me how to imbed photos on here, I'd love the share.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: Shows you how much I look at the stickies, it's right above this one, OP didn't see it either :innocent:

17. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    [attachment=0:tf5ynpzd]Bradshaw.jpg[/attachment:tf5ynpzd]

18. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Born and raised in Erie PA,,,kinda the melting pot of NFL fans,,Bills, Browns and of course Steelers all within an hour and a half or so ...Father is a huge Browns fan,but his brother is a Steelers fan...Every year since my first B-day i got a little of both teams stuff ,by 4-5 years old my dad had to break down and admit i always went for the black and gold over the brown and orange ..Wasn't a hard decision ...Now live in Treasure Lake Pa about an hour and 20 minutes away from the Steel city :herewego:

12to88 thats awesome :thumbs_up:

19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    [attachment=0:p4kpn726]Lambert.JPG[/attachment:p4kpn726]

20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    ^^^^^
    Is that Lynn Swann with him?

21. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    No, I believe it is CB Dave Brown, who left the following season in the expansion draft.

22. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :lolol:
    :lolol: Shows you how much I look at the stickies, it's right above this one, OP didn't see it either :innocent:[/quote:2yu32467]

:lolol: You're right I didn't see that! Must have been the word "sticky" i was trying to avoid! :lolol:

23. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I watched my first Steeler game in 1978.Steelers beat the Oilers 34-5.My brother is a huge Cowboys fan.In the late 70's,He and I went back and forth about our favorite teams.I've been a Steeler fan since 1978.I've been too Three Rivers to watch the Steelers 3 times.(All in 2000-last year playin in 3 Rivers)I went to my very first Steeler game back in 1981.Steelers beat the Clowns 32-10(Nov,22 1981) at old Cleveland Municiple Stadium.Got a good look at Terry Bradshaw,Joe Greene and Chuck Noll.I remember Jack Lambert coming to the sidelines during a timeout.He took his helmet off and I remember thinking WOW,He's losing his hair?(13 yrs. old)Most recent,In 2008,I went to the Steelers and Chargers game.The first 11-10 game in NFL history.Troy had that one handed scoop INT.I took my niece(whose a big Steeler fan).We froze our butts off,But It was worth it!! I love the Steelers!! There's not a day that goes by that I don't do something Steeler related.
    IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!! :yeehaw:

24. steelfan70

steelfan70 Member

Jan 1, 2012
    First time poster here. Been a Steelers fan since 1970 since Bradshaw first started. Ashamed to say I was a poser Cowboys fan before who finally saw the light! Really enjoy reading the posts on this board and really appreciate the hard work that went into creating this new message board for everyone! I feel the Rooneys will do whatever is necessary to insure that the Steelers will remain Super Bowl contenders for the future years. GO Steelers! :)

25. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I was at the steelers chargers game in 2008 also..that was a lot of fun