1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TMHY Mock Draft that you really won't like

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TheMatrixHasYou, Mar 16, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Mock:

1st trade down 20 spots and get Arizona's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th

2nd from Arizona, ILB Genard Avery, can play both ILB and edge rusher positions

2nd OLB Uchenna Nwosu

3rd from Arizona, S Troy Apke

3rd S Tre Flowers

4th from Arizona, QB Luke Falk

5th DE Zach Sieler

5th WR Allen Lazard

7th WR Davon Grayson

7th OT Jaryd Jones-Smith

Okay, I know most of you, if not all of you, won't like it because I moved down from the 1st round to the 2nd round with our first pick. You think we would be getting a lesser talent but these 1st and 2nd round ILB's are the same. ILB Rashaan Evans and Leighton Vander Esch are the same as Darius Leonard and Oren Burks and Genard Avery.

Also, I know I have S Troy Apke and S Tre Flowers much higher than most of you would ever take them but it's not Troy Apke's fault he's white. Both of these safeties have fantastic speed, size, and good production.

And I know you won't like that I used a 4th on a quarterback but I think Luke Falk could be a Case Keenum type. He just needs some time.

DE Zach Sieler had very good production even though he was double teamed constantly but he played at a very small school.

WR Lazard might not be available in the late 5th round but he has good size, okay speed, and good production.

WR Grayson needs to put on about 15 lbs but he has some speed and had good production.

OT Jaryd Jones-Smith has length and that's about it. He would be a project.

This mock draft fills needs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sadly I cannot agree my fellow member :(.

While I do enjoy analytics as much as you do, athletes like Troy Apke did not see any playing time for a reason. That reason has to be figured out why. Furthermore, I do not believe that nationality nor race play any part in scouting anymore. Whether or not a player can play is the key.

Regarding Pittsburgh trading out of the First Round, they have not done that since 1967. In fact, they are the only team to not trade out of the first round since the AFL-NFL Merger. I highly doubt this is the year to do so.

Overall, I do respect and admire your intentions. Some of the draft choices and picks just seem too abnormal for it to be a possibility.

I do encourage you do give us a mock again in the future as I do look forward towards perusing it once more. :smiley1:

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your right I really don't like.

6. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

Troy Apke played in 13 games in 2017, 14 games in '16, 13 games in '15, and 4 games in '14. I had in my notes that he was a 1 yr starter. Not sure where I got that from, probably something Mayock said at the combine. Apke's tackle numbers were 2, 26, 28, and then 55. His PBU numbers were 0, 1, 0, then 5. His interceptions were 0, 0, 1, and 1. Those are all decent numbers for a safety in the 3rd round then add in he is 6' 1" and 198 and that should get him to the top of the 3rd round. Next you add in that he ran a 4.35 and that moves him up higher. He has 4.35 speed and it's a 3rd round pick, if he's there.

I know we rarely move around in the draft but I'm not doing what Colbert will do. No one knows what he's going to do.

Some of my picks seem too abnormal? Uhh, Steelers Depot just did a review of Genard Avery although he gave him a 4a grade. I give more value to Genard's 4.60 speed and the fact that he can play ILB and OLB. And Troy Apke was invited to the combine so every team knows he can run a 4.35 now. Trey Flowers was just taken out to dinner by Mike Tomlin, so, not sure how "abnormal" of a pick that would be and the Steelers were at Washington States pro day so they saw QB Luke Falk throw once again and Ben said he would play for 3 more years so taking a good QB now would be "normal" especially if they are not impressed with what they saw from Josh Dobbs last preseason. DE Zach Sieler is a bit of an abnormal pick because he played at Ferris State but so what, it's a 5th round pick. WR Lazard will get drafted and he might just go higher than the 5th. The last two guys are 7th rounders so, what exactly do you expect?

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So you expect the Steelers to carry 4 QBs?

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not a fan of it OP, there are better players available at those positions.

9. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    No. If we drafted QB Luke Falk I would release Landry Jones.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    That would be a stupid move????

11. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    How would replacing Landry Jones with Luke Falk be stupid?

Oh, you have a Landry Jones jersey, that's why?

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    No, because Fichtner is the new OC and has been LJs QB coach for 5 years and has total confidence in LJ as the backup, he's not about to turn this offense over to two rook cherry boys who have never played in a real NFL game in their life, let alone start one if ben misses 2 or 3 games...

13. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Joshia Dobbs is no longer a rookie. And, as far as getting rid of Landry Jones, I actually like having him as a backup. I would not get rid of him but I would not have drafted Joshua Dobbs either.

The backup QB is going to play in a real NFL game at some point. It's inevitable. We don't have the money to spend on a vet backup so it's going to be Jones or Dobbs and neither of them is ever going to win more than 9 games a season for us and 6 wins is probably more realistic.

14. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Dobbs is still a rookie with no real game experience, and drafting falk wont happen, he fell big time after sucking at the combine:

Dud: Luke Falk, quarterback, Washington State

Coming into the combine with more questions than answers about his pro potential, Luke Falk was awful.

The offense Mike Leach runs at Washington State is gimmicky, and Falk has to prove he’s capable of making pro throws. He doesn’t possess a strong arm, and that showed up during his field drills on Saturday. Not only did he struggle to push the ball down the field, but Falk sprayed his passes all over the place. Location was a big issue, and he generally looked like the worst pure passer on the field of play.

15. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

QB Luke Falk fell after the combine? Only on your board.

How come teams, including Pittsburgh, went to his pro day, which was after the combine, then?

You posted this same nonsense about QB Falk falling because of the combine before but don't give us the website. Where is that player review from?

16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Here it is, so now you can badmouth them since Falk is your man crush, there are other sites who trashed him for his crappy combine, if you want me to post more:

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/biggest-studs-duds-2018-nfl-scouting-combine/

17. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Sportsnaut. Yeah, never heard of them.

So, to you and Sportsnaut, which is more important, throwing at the combine to receivers you don't know or real game statistics? Compare Falks stats with Darnold, Rosen, and Allen.

At the combine you don't know if the guy you have to throw to is 6' 5" or 5' 10". You don't know if the guy runs a 4.40 or a 4.65. So, are you going to throw at full speed or are you going to throw at 80%?

How well did Darnold throw at the combine? Oh, he didn't, did he? But somehow he's not considered a dud for being afraid to even try?

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Falk is the only pick I can remotely stomach in this mock

19. Jmos3

Jmos3 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    :facepalm:OP says people won’t like his mock draft and then proceeds to attack people when they disagree with him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not a chance, the Steelers want a veteran with playing experience behind Ben. Luke Falk sucks anyway, don't be fooled by those numbers he put. His own coach benched him a few times last season because he was ineffective.

21. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    You might want to go back and read the whole thread this time.

Diamond posted that my comment about releasing Landry Jones would be "a stupid move????"

So later on I posted that his opinion about Falk dropping in value because of the combine was "nonsense".

I think calling someones post nonsense is pretty tame after they've called your post stupid. If the word nonsense is too strong for you then you can block me.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Brady was benched too at Michigan. Just saying. Falk spread the ball around to multiple receivers better than any QB in college football by a huge margin. :cool:

23. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Yeah, I don't think they are going to draft a QB again after taking Josh Dobbs last year. I think everyone would agree that Falk is a much better talent than Dobbs though.

As for Landry Jones, he probably stays until after Ben retires even though no one thinks he is capable of being a starting QB.

Falk had good numbers but was benched? The NY Giants head coach McAdoo benched Eli Manning. For me the numbers tell the truth. The other stuff is what is deceptive. Why wasn't Falk benched for the entire season? Because he was the best they had, that's why. Sometimes you are going to lose games, you might even lose them big time like we did against Jacksonville. If you're going to judge a QB by their bad games then Landry Jones should have started for the Steelers after Ben threw those 5 interceptions.

24. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    How well did Darnold throw at the combine? Oh, he didn't, did he? But somehow he's not considered a dud for being afraid to even try?

Darnold will throw tomorrow at his pro day, I'm sure he will grade out better than Falk, since everybody did at the combine, I'm not a darnold fan by the way, i'm not impressed by any QB in this draft, they all need a lot of work to become an NFL QB, falk will be on the board in the 3rd or 4th round, maybe a team will draft him for a backup since he has a noodle arm.....

25. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

You can watch the 2:20 second highlights video of Washington State vs Stanford on Youtube. The first TD throw from Falk is a touch pass over the defense so it doesn't have a lot of zip on it because he doesn't want to throw it over the receiver's head and he puts it in there perfectly.

The next TD pass from Falk has more zip on it. His arm is not elite but it's certainly not a "noodle" arm either.

Flacco has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. How elite is he?