1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Oct 29, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Cannot help it. As I said, Keith Butler has got to go. The 2017 AFC Divisional Playoff Game was the final proverbial nail in the coffin for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That will be tough though.

The pass rushing market is colossally expensive. Middle ground players the same. I hope Omar Khan can work his magic again.

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Given that they still have a game with the Bungles, Jets and two with the Browns, that's possible.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    You keep Watt all day over JuJu. But I'm sure we will make both work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No he wasn’t. Last year was on par with his year before which was mediocre at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is the latter. The Patriots made Watt the focus of their blocking scheme in the opener. That has become a little tougher to do as the season has gone on because Dupree is making opposing teams pay for it more often, but Watt is the one getting it done far more consistently.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As teachers, we are dealing with very different dollar amounts and the situations are probably more varied in ways beyond compensation.

I just don't think it is realistic or even fair to expect Dupree to offer the team a huge discount.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah don't you know if you call out a player you are a hater???? The fact that I have been hard on him over the last couple years and am now willing to say he is playing good should prove I am not a hater. Honest Abe here..........:rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's all in on a pending payday... Don't think his agent will advise him to be nice at the negotiating table either. I appreciate his efforts thus far and hope they get even better as this season rolls on but don't want to pay what I think he may feel comfortable demanding.

Things to ponder though...

Is the light finally going on?

Is it the dismissal of Porter as coach?

Is it the whole contract year= An extra gear?

Is it adding Fitzpatrick and Nelson to the squad?

Interesting to hmmmmm about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bud was beating a very good offensive tackle last week so yeah,. hhuuummm?

• Like Like x 1
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Lot of changed ingredients to ponder from his first steps to this year... He definitely is a hmmmmm experiment at this point especially when he's not the OLB the team should overpay for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

No not a huge discount, just not having to be the highest paid player at your position is what many of these players and agents are often thinking. I am sure Bud works hard and feels that he deserves to "get paid" and that is cool. However, I am thinking in terms of a "reasonable contract". I know that their livelihoods as pro athletes are a lot shorter than ours as teachers yet, on the other hand many will make more in their first 5-year contract than we will in our typical 30-year careers.

The Steelers will offer a fair contract. It is up to Bud to decide if the offer is "reasonable". However, he should also thank his lucky stars that he is amongst a very small elite group of people in this world to be able to do what he does for a living. He does not have to break the proverbial bank at the same time though to still make out well.

If I could work for five years and then retire that would be great. For him, he is now more than likely going to get that highly sought-out "second contract" which usually equates to the big pay day one. So, with all that said sure he should cash in. However, once again be reasonable and above all else, smart with all of that money.

A second contract, if five years, will also set him up for the rest of his life. Not bad for approximately tens years of playing a game that he probably grew up loving. Good for him. No hate here. I admire those who get paid in this world as long as they do it the right way. Not to get political but I am not down with make the rich pay more taxes. Most of them worked very hard to get where they are. Good for them. Let it be their choice to give back more so not because they are forced to. That is what is great about capitalism.

It is tough to assess what is fair when it comes to comparing the pro athlete, musician, actors, etc., versus the regular working man or woman in regards to salary. They have been given special gifts, and great for them. So have we though. Given that, I would love for one of them to come teach in the inner-city school districts that I have been in for 30+ years. Hey, do not get me wrong. I love my job and what I do. Do I wish I got paid more? Absolutely! It may sound like a cliché but my occupational rewards go deeper than the dollar for what I do. Take care my friend. STEELWINDS

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I don't believe you were but riddle me this:

4 years of average play sometimes below, all of a sudden with a 5th year commitment due to the fact that there was no depth as starting material all of a sudden the switch goes on and he turns his game up? And yes, it's a contract year.

He is playing for a big payday. As most do in a contract year. Can he sustain this level of play? I hope he does this season and helps the cause. But he has not proven to me that a couple of strong games this season to keep him. Maybe i'm wrong and I would gladly say I am. But the jury is still out as far as i'm concerned. And if he continues raising his stock some team will overpay. Could franchise him and then trade him.

And some are talking about this tandem reminds people of Lloyd and Greene :lolol: Watt yes a bit like Greene and Lloyd but Dupree couldn't carry Lloyd or Greene's jock. Please.

Watts motor has helped Duprees game.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dupree is playing well I have to admit. I also definitely feel a new contract is his driving force, he has admitted to it himself. There are other factors as well including health. The question is how much do you invest in someone who is clearly putting his best foot forward in a contract year. How much can you trust that mindset? Either way I think he prices his way out of town. I don’t see a 16mil franchise tag as a smart financial option. It’s going to be a shame we invested so much to get 1 good year out of him.....

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is part of the reason why I see no way that we give Dupree a long term contract. Contracts for Watt, JuJu and Fitz need to be planned for. However I don’t see JuJu being paid like a top 10 WR.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith-Schuster isn’t a top 10 receiver. I’m not sure he was one last season. Maybe he takes a big step forward next season, but right now he is well behind Watt and Fitzpatrick in terms of long term priorities.

17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019

• Like Like x 2
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Nice job H 5-O hunting down and hitching a ride on this older TJ thread. Many would have just started up another thread (e.g. "AB" :facepalm:). You're a gentleman and a scholar. That and $4 might get you a cup of Joe at Starbucks. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I understand Joe Haden had a pick as well. Even though the PBG is a joke, I'm sorry but FLA doesn't have quite the charm that Hawaii does with the splendid commercial aerial fade in and outs of the amazing beaches and other sights. On the west coast, they pre-empted most of the game with local coverage of Kobe's passing.

20. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    T.J. Watt Scores, Joe Haden Has INT In AFC’s Win Over NFC In 2020 Pro Bowl

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on January 26, 2020

[​IMG]

The AFC beat the NFC 38-30 in Sunday’s 2020 Pro Bowl in Orlando, FL and all four Pittsburgh Steelers players who played in that contest registered some sort of defensive stat and one even scored a touchdown.

Steelers outside linebacker T.J. Watt returned a fumbled football 82 yards for a touchdown with 10:29 left in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s Pro Bowl and cornerback Joe Haden intercepted a pass from Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott with 1:28 left in the third quarter. Steelers safety Minkah Fitzpatrick was credited with a tackle and a pass defensed in his first Pro Bowl appearance while defensive tackle Cameron Heyward was also credited with one tackle and a pass defensed in Sunday’s AFC Pro Bowl win.

Watt’s fumble recovery for an 82-yard defensive touchdown came after Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins was stripped sacked by Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Calais Campbell. Watt scooped up the loose football at the AFC’s 18-yard-line and ran untouched 82 yards for the score. He playfully taunted a chasing Cousins with the football on his way to the end zone.

Haden also was credited with two total tackles in Sundays Pro bowl to go along with his interception.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/t...as-int-in-afcs-win-over-nfc-in-2020-pro-bowl/

• Like Like x 1
  21. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    reasonable comtract with one yr of guarentees ..if he doesnt pan out , cut em.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    What's funny is it took TJ about a minute less than #92 to return his Pick 6. OK to be fair, James had an added 18 yds to cover and a lot more land mines in his path, including his own players and numerous Cards gaining from the rear. But just saying.....looked like after he scored, TJ could have turned around run it back to the other end zone untouched without breaking a sweat as well. :thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    To be fair TJ didn’t have the weight of @SDOT ’s bitterness on his back like JH did...:roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    D95603E4-C2E5-44BD-9384-2ACA9218F561.png

Fan voted I think so not official

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014