1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Oct 29, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but it was 30yds the year before:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dupree isn't good this year or last. He just stepped up to being servicable at rolb instead of a liability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m definitely one of his biggest critics. I see some improvements from him. I see him better at converting speed/power and even a few different pass rush moves. I will say I think he’s been fortunate to have some very favorable matchups as well that he’s taken advantage of. How much of it is the light finally coming on or being in a contract year , I don’t know. Let’s see how he does against some of the tougher teams coming up....TBD

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I hope the Steelers move on from Dupree. I have seen enough to know that it will not be that hard to find someone more impactful at a key position in the 3-4.

Edit: I also hope they do NOT take an olb with their 2nd rounder.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think with the season he is putting together he will get big money and I hope it isn't from us. I am not a fan of guys who light it up in contract years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He is lighting it up? Maybe by Bud standards lol. Doesn't even get close to what we expect from our rolb. Big shoes to fill over there, A. Russell, G. Lloyd, J. Harrison, etc.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If you compare him to them guys heck year but he has been playing very good. I am not a fan I am one of his haters but even I have to say he is playing good. jmo

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Spot on.

If I got 9.2 I would be seriously motivated as well. All this and a contract year. Dupree's agent will jack up the price after this season, he will go else where and fans of that said team will be complaining.

It only took 5 years to see some improvement. Lets see him take over a game like Watt. You won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind Buds cap hit coming up is $16 million if he is franchised. Let us use that as a base. Is he worth 16+ as a pass rusher?! Sadly, I do not believe so.

That said, it would not shock me if Pittsburgh does opt for this route. I seriously doubt Pittsburgh is going to be big players in Free Agency come 2020 anyway. However, Pittsburgh's issues within its future have a lot more to do with their Offensive Line than other positions at present.

For example, do we have a succession plan behind Maurkice?!?!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I have to disagree on both points aql. No chance they franchise Dupree, they didn't offer him an extension. There will be MUCH cheaper options in fa that can put up Dupree #s in our scheme. That is a no brainier.
    The O'Line needing attention is just talking heads babble at this time. I think our most current problem to focus on is finding another playmaker to complement JuJu, RB or wr-te. Somebody that isn't banged up every week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting. Not the face that you disagree with me. I believe this to be a misunderstanding. Let me clarify if you will.

One, personally, I do not see Pittsburgh tagging Durpee. That is unlikely to happen at this point. While I did say it would not surprise me if they would, I never stated such a possibility to a certainty. Me and you both agree that Dupree is likely headed elsewhere anyway after this season. Paying him that much via a contract year would not be advisable.

Two and, more importantly, the route that you are suggesting in terms of finding another playmaker would be akin to what the likes of Cleveland did this past off season. Again though, here in lies the issue for Pittsburgh's Interior Offensive Line; age. Maurkice will be on the wrong side of 30 next season. I do not think that prolonging his successor is going to yield benefits if or when Mason takes over or if Maurkice gets hurt. Another player is Ramon Foster. I do not see the team keeping him as he is way over the wrong side of 30. That said, do they finally trust B.J. Finney?! Difficult to say for certain.

In short regarding point two, while I would like to find another playmaking option for Mason if or when his time comes, ensuring he does not suffer the same fate Big Ben did during his early years should be the team's top priority. Personally, I do not see the team forgoing protection for their possible future Franchise QB after learning the lesson the first time in Big Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If he keeps on track this season, TJ Watt's numbers through their first 3 seasons will be better than those of Khalil Mack.

Think about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I did!

Here is my thought!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelCity_NB.

Watt is light years ahead of Bud. Bud is "serviceable" and that is where it ends. Like I stated in another post, I highly doubt that Bud waited until year 5 to "turn it on". Given that, I think we have witnessed his ceiling. We have always had great tandem OLBs. Unfortunately, we have been down with Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. We need another monster to compliment TJ. If we can find such a player, then watch out! Look at the impact of Minkah. I am getting excited about the "D" again. STEELWINDS

15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I want to see him break deebo's single season sack record

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I want to see him break Tom Brady's leg.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I want to see him coming from the right side again. Qb can't see him coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey CK 13.

I am not singling you out here as I have heard this "Contract Year" rationale so many times. I am fed up with some folks pinning this item onto a player (or coach) as to why he is finally "Turning it on". Think about it: Isn't that taking a big risk? Why wait until your "Contract Year" to finally play up to a higher standard? Most players, and any average Joe worker in this world, would probably be out of a job long before his/her "Contract Year" arrives if they were underperforming in between time. Especially, if it was five years between contracts. This, knowing that the Front Office can let you go way before that season ever gets there. I really do not buy into this concept. As, a teacher if I waited to turn it on only the year of my next contract I probably would be out of a job as would most people I would think no matter what his/her occupation may be.

I am not sticking up for Dupree and am equally as frustrated as most with his sub-par performances up to this point in his career. Especially that he was a first round draft choice and has not upheld the Steeler tradition of great LBs. However, maybe it just took him that long to finally get it.? Also, even though he is having his best year, I still do not think it is worth the 9+ million dollars that he is getting. Yes, this is his best season up to this point but still not justifiable for the coin that he is getting IMO. If you wear the Black & Gold I am pulling for you. Therefore, I am pulling for him. Hopefully, he does continue to improve and him and TJ become a "Great" tandem.

Hopefully, he also is humble and accepts a reasonable contract from the Steelers that will not break the bank if he continues to up his game. However, I know it all about the coin and usually Contract #2 is where the heavy cash is offered. Given that, not every player sees it that way, or any worker in this world for that part. Hey, even I would have to consider that myself as a teacher. To go with the money to a less than ideal situation or remain put where I know what I've got and at the same time am receiving a "fair contract". STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Dupree will sign for millions more than he is worth, hope it's not us.

Speaking of lb tandems, which is going on?
    Is TJs probowl level of play due to Bud playing better forcing things his way?
    Or
    Is all the attention that teams give TJ this year making Duds life easier coming from the other side?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm thinking about how we'll have him for one more year before we have to pay him $20 million dollars a year. I'm assuming they'll extend him after next year. Juju will also need paid. Then Minkah year after.

He's great but keeping him will be a crippler. By then though Ben might be off the books.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t fall in line with the “hater” critique. Calling it like you see it isn’t being a hater. Is he having a good year and his best? Certainly. That doesn’t mean his sub par play up to this point didn’t deserve some criticism. It’s just being honest.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sad but true I am afraid. Thank the likes of Khalil Mack for that. The pass rushing market is going to be reset yet again.

Hopefully by that time and, as you said, Ben being off the books would help a bit. Also, let us not forget that the Annual NFL Salary Cap increases each year. Small I know but every bit helps.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Keith Butler likely has something to do with it. James Harrison and Lamar Woodley (First Contract) were a legendary tandem. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi is showing some growth as well. If anything, keep Butler as a OLB Coach but promote Teryl Austin as the DC next season.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope Bud continues to improve and become the player we all wanted when he was drafted and are able to sign him to a reasonable contract.

Haters be damned :taunt:

Team would be much better off than having to draft yet another OLB.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Your promote T. Austin politics are relentless aql.