1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt to start over Harrison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 5, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I expect Watt to get 6-8 sacks this season, Harrison off the bench with 5 sacks. That would be good production from their side :herewego!:.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    And hopefully another 8-10 from Bud.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'm excited to see what Watt does. This should be a really fun season to watch!

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought, out of courtesy, they would start James in game one and then move to TJ progressively.

5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I think I remember reading that Harrison said he was cool about it. I'd imagine they'd split time pretty evenly and Watt will just start. Harrison is definitely in when it matters, though.

6. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    i agree completely. I think Deebo has earned that.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My thoughts the same.

Mike Tomlin played his cards close to his chest when he was asked at the beginning of August that he was not "playing into that again" when Joey called James a "relief pitcher."

Now, Tomlin states that T.J. has been a starter "since day zero". I would imagine he was going to say something sooner rather than later but only during the regular season.

Either way, I am happy for T.J. Time to showcase what he has learned during the preseason. :smiley1:

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We drafted T J to start, so start him, the browns are starting their rookie edge rusher garret so why not start our rookie, get all the game experience we can give him, harrison doesnt have to prove anything and he is fine with it, so leave it be.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They said Tomlin made it clear that TJ earned the spot and nothing was given. Although Tunch and Wof acknowledged that it wasn't as if Harrison was given the opportunity to compete it was more an understanding that he was the starter if TJ wasn't showing that he was grasping the defense. So it's not a snub against Deebo but more of a tip of the cap to Watt with a safety valve in case he struggles

• Like Like x 2
  10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I expect to see us have 5 sacks and two picks with rookie Kizer starting his first NFL game against starters instead of 3s and 4s playing a vanila game....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    11 sacks for watt based on pure relentlessness and effort.....
    God help opposing qb's when he adds technique

5 sacks from harrison as he comes in against tired o-linemen... (And more than his fair share of forced holding penalties

14 sacks for bud

9 sacks for tuitt and 8 for heyward

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Good. Might as well throw TJ Watt into the fire and see what he's got. I like how the Steelers have not been coddling rookies these past two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Good god we're gonna get after the QB hard with those stats haha that's 47! That's not even including Hargrave (who will have a couple), Our depth rushers (Chick, Alualu, Moats) the ILB's (who will definitely get some) and the secondary (I bet a corner or two gets a couple. Davis will probably get one too)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Holy cow, I hope you're right! It won't matter how sketchy our secondary is, if the opposing QB's are on their backs that often.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    We were tied for 9th in the league last year with 38 sacks, should be better this year for sure.........

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    More man coverage which means less OLB'S dropping into Zone . If our CB'S can hold up for just a bit in coverage and our Offense scores TD'S at a greater rate in the Redzone I predict the Steelers to be #1 in the NFL in sacks .

I going to go bold and say 50 starting with 6 on opening day .

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    When we drafted TJ I warned people not to set their sights too high like 10+ sacks. Having watched him at Wisconsin, he just didn't remind me if that type of edge rusher.

I still have him in the 4-6 range. The fact he is starting now may bump him up to 6-8.

I still expect Harrison to have more sacks.

As for Bud, please please please, hit 10 this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Dont under estimate TJ, he has that big motor like his brother, I think he can get to that 10 range ............

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah thats a bit high for two of them. Bud around 9 and TJ around 7.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm wondering about the man coverage and when it starts to be prevalent. They started to practice it more and got away from it in camp due to injuries. Now we have new bodies.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It should be the main stay this week vs. a Rookie QB . No way we could run it good yet if we had a elite QB with experience throwing at it . I think they went away from it more because Ross could not play it . Haden can play it and I bet they are right back on track putting the man back in.

Also they have replaced Gay in the slot with a younger faster player this makes me believe they intend to man up on 3 WR sets or less..I don't see the Browns going 4 and 5 wide much in this game.

With more man we may even see more single high Safety this week as well and bring the SS down in the box for more run support .

Having CB'S who can play in the same zipcode is huge for a Defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If bud and watt turn out to be busts I'm jumping off a cliff with my bell jersey.

I demand 15 mil, no check it, I demand 20 a season and if you can't appreciate greatness than I got all da reasons, drop it, like this team I'll find a new helmet to match my new seams, everyone be hatin while I smoke all the cream... of the crop, I drop it except I don't drop the rock, just like my sock this rhyme stinks don't you just think for a second or two, just like skip Bayless Stephen A smith be screaming on cue, after this rap I think I'm good for another mil or two, I'm just so sick I probably have the flu, so that's my cue, I be leavin this message for all of you

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the fact that no NFL team used man more than 50% of the time last year suggests how much we should expect to see it.

The point of introducing man corners was to give the D more options. It's not a magical hack for victory. So I expect we'll see a mixture based on what they expect will throw Kizer the most.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Rookie QBs struggle more with zone, I think you'll see a heavy dose of that. Its why Lebeau was so successful against rookies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Big test in Joe Thomas, I'm excited to see what the kid can do.