1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt is Steelers Digest player of the week

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 12, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed about Heyward. Also thought that Melvin Ingram could have gotten it too!

Well earned for T.J. Watt regardless. Well earned indeed!! :herewego:

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought Heyward then Sutton then Watt. Ingram played a great game also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TheDFP

TheDFP New Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Take your pick on Watt or Hayward. Both had great games.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m having trouble with a LB wearing number 8. I kept thinking we were blitzing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ughhh....

Some of these number changes I like. Others?!!!... a bit disorienting for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think it could have been split four ways between Watt, Heyward, Sutton and Ingram. All of them were outstanding today.

Really worried about Bush though. He was almost nonexistent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It's been a good day when there are multiple choices for player of the game recognition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was like whats Harvin doing playing defense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    He was. Hopefully we don't start dropping these guys in dadgum coverage.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not sure in this day you call an OLB in 3-4 a blitz?

12. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
  13. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Big credit to the entire defense. The Bills have a really good offense and to hold them like that in the second half was impressive.

As for TJ, I love what Butler was doing with him. Moving him around. He played his usual spot, he played ILB, he rotated, etc. he was also fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Bush played very well from what I saw. He had 10 tackles and a forced fumble, can't ask for much more from an ILB.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I went back and looked at the stat sheet and could not believe my eyes when I saw him aboard the leading tackles at 10 with 6 solo tackles. How in the world did I miss this? I wasn't even drinking. I take back what I said. Keep up the good work Devon!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He wasn't horrible but he wasn't great either. More meh than anything. His stats say he was around the ball a lot but not that he was making splash plays. He has got some of Vince Williams bad habits. One of the Singletary runs Bush jumped into the gap and got caught flat footed when Singletary threw a little hip shake hesitation allowed the OL to get a hand on Bush as well as Bush trying to shift and catch Singletary. If he waits a fraction of a second and meets Singletary in the hole instead of trying to drop him for a loss in the backfield he makes the play and avoids the positive yardage he gave up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Bush had 10 tackles, 6 solo. He was doing what he was doing last year and we didn't appreciate until he was gone and wasn't doing it anymore: cleaning things up inside and keeping short gains from going for big gains. I don't have any complaints with the defense. Everyone did their job.

18. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was totally with you. I don't remember hearing his name at all yesterday. I will also go back and re-watch because I clearly missed him on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He didn't miss on Singletary as bad a T. Edmunds did. That's a fact.

20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Bush and Edmunds played well all game and you picked the two plays these screwed up in to kill them? Bush just came off ACL tear, the fact that he played as well as he did was amazing. And Edmunds has sucked his entire career but his play was the best he's ever played yesterday.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Have you ever watched the movie Little Big League? Wasn't anything special just a baseball movie where a kids grandpa owns the Minnesota Twins and leaves him the team when he dies. The kid ends up firing the manager and coaching the team himself the problem being he is friends with several of the players but now he is the owner and manager. So one of his guys is on a slump and gets a hit in the game and the kid goes see I told you he'd get it going. His assistant coach goes that should tell you something when you're this excited about a seeing eye single in the middle of a game. That's Edmunds right now. He isn't terrible but isn't great either I'd say he is more Mitchell than Clark at this point. Go back and watch Pierre's beauty of a pass defense and you'll see Edmunds in no man's land watching the QB and trying to leap and get a piece of the ball except he isn't Troy P and more importantly by starring into the backfield he isn't covering anyone. If not for 42's great read on the ball that's a completion and Edmunds is looking for clean undies.

Bush wasn't horrible but wasn't great either. Just because he had 10 tackles doesn't mean he had a great game. The Singletary play wasn't the only time he messed up. Look at when they are in zone coverage there is bad communication between the ILB 's and the defensive backs. One play Bush has a middle zone and he let Beasley run across his face and made no movement as if he saw him. He is in position to contain Allen if he runs but if never happens as Bush passed Beasley off the next guy was late picking him up and Allen makes an easy throw and completion. If Bush follows Beasley even a little blocking the passing lane, Allen has to hold it and maybe the rush gets him. It would still allow Bush's closing speed to get to Allen if he tucks and runs.

I'm not dogging these guys they played a heck of a game but these are correctable issues.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I actually thought it might be Sutton, but not surprised it's Watt.

• Like Like x 1