1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt height/weight

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ratkomladic, May 3, 2017.

1. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    We are serious and don't call us Shirley.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hmmm... so Ike Taylor was a running back who changed positions to corner at a non-power conference FBS program. So, to find our next shutdown corner, we need to scour the "mid-major" FBS rosters to find a corner who used to be an RB. Did I get the logic right?

Joking aside, Watt probably could be developed as a Buck ILB if that's the direction that the team chose to go in. He's fluid in space and has the heavy hands to take on blockers inside against the run. He seems to have the football IQ to lead the defense in that role. However given the roster needs and the level of success that he had on the edge in only one full season, I feel pretty darn sure that he's going to be used on the edge first, and will stay there if he develops into a quality starting edge guy.

I think part of the value of Watt is that he shows more versatility than many edge guys. Guys like McKinley (who I really liked) and Harris may be better Day 1 edge rushers, but they're pretty much edge-only guys. If they don't pan out on the edge, it's difficult to project them playing anywhere else. It's easy to project TJ as having potential to move inside because of his athletic and intangible traits. That's a big plus in my book.

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I was thinking the same but haven't seen Watt in any of Harrisons IG videos. Juju seems more excited to be with the Steelers than Watt.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Elvis, you're way to serious :glare:

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is he trying to graduate/finish school?

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Good question, probably. That would make sense.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Am not :tease:

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    (JEH)Is he trying to graduate/finish school?

He's leaving school as a junior, no graduation to cause him to miss any OTAs...

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Tomlin loves versatility more than most people would give him credit for honestly.

A defense capable of playing a multi arrary of formations is what Tomlin wants. In my eyes, he has completed that process along the front seven.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like Cowher use to say to Lloyd, sack the QB.
    TJ was brought in here to get after the QB. anything less than 4-6
    sacks this year will be a disappointment. Anything less than 10 sacks
    his second season will be also.Same can be said for Bud Dupree.
    Get after it.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Redshirt junior. He is a college senior.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This article seems to disagree with you:

Wisconsin junior outside linebacker T.J. Watt will skip his senior season for the N.F.L.
    [​IMG]
    BENJAMIN WORGULL
    01/03/2017

After turning in a dominant junior season, Wisconsin junior outside linebacker T.J. Watt will forego his senior season and enter the N.F.L. draft.

For the last decade, the University of Wisconsin has had a Watt on the roster. That tremendous run of success has come to a close.

A day after helping No.8 Wisconsin win the 81st Cotton Bowl, T.J. Watt announced on Twitter that he was skipping his senior season to follow older brothers J.J. Watt and Derek Watt into the N.F.L.

http://www.scout.com/college/wisconsin/story/1742791-t-j-watt-declares-for-n-f-l-draft

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Watt will play at 260, that might be too heavy and he could lose some of his quickness. Dupree came in at 265, then in his second he played at a lighter weight losing 10 lbs or so.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    2013 Redshirt season
    2014 Did not play
    2015 Earned first letter
    2016 Earned second letter

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Redshirt sophomore. Graduated high school in 2013; about to finish college with degree.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think TJ needs to hit the weight room,
    Wow, Peazy get him in the weight room I want him to
    do what you use to 38 @225. This boy needs some muscle added.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Team and KC still value the LB position to high .It seems the best approach to me is to build from the back end first, but if we can get that end better some way then the OLB'S value can be shown ...It is not a knock on TJ ,but rather the way the NFL is trending, I am not sure how much the 3rd. or so best pass rusher will help if you can't stop the quick pass and give him a chance to get home..

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Build the back end first huh?

Tell me then. What did Seattle and Denver do prior to obtaining players like Chris Harris Jr. and Earl Thomas?

Very intrigued to hear your response.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They had hit on some solid CB'S..They had CB'S who could play man or zone and they also had some solid depth at the positions ..When I say the backend ,I mean all DB'S ...Plus the passing game is getting quicker and quicker each year and the NFL is taking the big hit Safety types out of the game ...

We need better CB'S and rangy Safety types if we intend to stop the 2.5 second ball is gone play ..If you can't stop those or at least make the QB second guess then a All Madden front 7 would have very little impact ...

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmmm.. insightful indeed.

However, one flaw in your analysis. Defensive backs and the front seven have always complimented each other for decades. This is a universal hard fact.

What is more so important though is what it takes to build such a defensive masterpiece. Take a look at the teams throughout the years that have built dynasties. From the Packers to the Patriots, one core element has always been the mainstay; an elite pass rush. Teams not having such a trait often are not seen in the playoffs.

That trend carries onward to this day. Von Miller and Bruce Irvin made that possible. Building around such players unlocks more of what coaches can utilize against the opposition. Once the front seven has been solidified, the back end can commence ita rebuild. Seldom do circumstamces permit a defensive back to allocate a coach to build around.

Even now with all the rule changes, one core concept of the game remains and will always remain the same. As John Madden often states in the "Madden" series itself. "Games are often won or lost in the trenches". He knew that better than most during his era. Why else was the famous "Iron Line" created? To combat the "Steel Curtain"; a war in which Madden would end up losing in the end.

To win games in any era of American Gridiron Football, an elite front seven will always be needed. Even if it is a group of "no names" like the 1972 Miami Dolphins were or players not named Troy Polamlau or James Harrison of the 2008 Steelers team, the results can still be devastating if those players can play well enough to be elite as a collective unit and not a singular piece.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don't think Bruce Irvin deserves to be in the same sentence with Von Miller lol

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we did add sutton, allen, sensabaugh and really golson this year. we also added burns and davis last year. we also brought in hilton, dixon, ducre, hagan, johnson and webb. we still have dangerfield, gay, cockrell, mitchell and golden. thats 17 db's pwp. :cool: