1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    But this is more than just preseason games. I'm concerned about him not being in football shape come week 1. If we were playing the Lions, we could ease him in. But we're not. We're going to need him physically ready. It's not about needing to learn the defense or being in good enough shape to still be on the field at the end of the game. It's about having his body ready for the pounding. It's about having big guys leaning on him, hand fighting, leverage, and the physical toll a game takes on the body. He won't have that if the deal isn't done until after the preseason.

That worries me from a health standpoint.

Because I have a feeling that TJ Watt will get a contract and then want to prove something. He isn't wired to sit idly by and accept not playing. He's going to come out of the tunnel ready to sack Allen. That's a great mentality, but it's scary for a body that hasn't acclimated to the punishment.

Might be nothing. I hope it is. But I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This would be the same people who are against spending money or draft picks to get player X for running back or quarterback for amount y. Then mid-season they are belly aching over how they need a top caliber rb or edge guy or they need to pull off a Hershal Walker type trade because of glaring holes.

For Watt it's that no edge rusher should make 30 mil a year and better uses for that money. Until he is destroying opposing teams Olines and sacking QB'S then it's fine until the playoffs because then it's wrong again.

3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    He could also bend over to pick up the nephew and tweak something to. These things do happen and can't live in fear of them. TJ will plays pedal to the floor no matter what. Might as well enjoy the ride.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No my problem with TJ is that he has a signed contract. Let the front office and your agent deal with your next contract, but you need to honor your current contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Like the team honored David DeCastro's contract?

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Steelers were nice with DeCastro when he injured himself in the offseason working out away from team facilities. They could have made him payback his bonus money for violating league rules.

7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    How about every other guy they've cut before the contract was over?

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    When did that happen?

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm neither pro labor or pro management but this is my thinking everytime someone throws out the honor your contract line of reasoning. Number of Steelers players who were cut because they helped themselves and the team by restructuring their deals which drove up their base pay the following year and made cutting them the only option. It's why I don't like restructuring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tomlin sat out TJ, I wasn't as if TJ said I'm not playing Week 17 against Cleveland

11. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I'd enjoy it a lot more if he were practicing and making the defense AND offense better with his presence, not to mention getting his body ready. But your point is well taken.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If it was Lamar Woodley I might be worried, Lev Bell yep worried, Ben maybe slightly concerned but Watt knowing his family and his approach to the game I'm more curious than anything. I read a 2hr old article on CBS sports.com about how it's expected he will sign a new deal after the Carolina game and then several other Steelers beat writers jumping on the story. That makes zero sense to me. No way is he playing that game anyway so why not put pen to paper now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I Love Watt, but You get paid that much You better do something in the playoffs. I'm not saying win the game, but you got 2 do more than what he has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    With some of the logic around here I guess every player with only one year on their contract should hold out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Huh? Watt has played no fewer than 15 games since he entered the league.

Are they going to not pay anyone because they may get hurt?

16. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Makes no sense to me either. Frankly, the deal should have, could have, gotten done 2 weeks ago unless someone was dragging their feet for the sole purpose of not having him practice in the preseason.

And just to beat a dead horse, I'm not worried at all about him mentally. I'm not concerned one bit about his desire, attitude, ability, or conditioning. My only concern is the preparation that only physical contact brings. He won't have that. I guess I put more importance on "football shape" than most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I hope they sign Watt long-term with oodles of guaranteed money. What worries me is him following in JJ's footsteps injurywise.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Is Watt quitting? I mean that would really be the equivalent of getting cut by a team while still under contract wouldn’t it?

19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    No, he's negotiating a new deal in good faith, something the Steelers seem perfectly willing to do by all reports.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    In good faith? Is his lack of work the best thing for the team? I don’t think they are 100% happy about the situation, but if they push back he’ll just not show up at all then they’ll have a huge distraction on their hands.
    He signed the 5th year option now get to work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Butler and Tomlin don't seem to have a problem with it, nor do his teammates. They'd send him home and fine him, otherwise.

Those contracts are not written in stone, players re-negotiate up when they outplay the terms, teams re-negotiate down when they don't.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    When does that ever happen?

23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Players being cut with years remaining on a contract? Some come back for less (e.g. Vince Williams), most don't.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Restructuring to me always comes off as silly because you're gamifying the accounting aspect into the sport.

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Right but the player is cut and the existing contract is terminated. Not necessarily the same as renegotiating imo because they are no longer bound by the team and can go sign elsewhere.