1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    LMAO Ben..." I took less money"...You were either gonna TAKE less money, Or you were getting cut!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They’ve never been players in big FA signings but they keep their own star players usually.

Steelers have gone down to the wire several times with players in the past. This is probably just the media doing it’s thing. If I’m wrong, we’ll know soon enough.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Once again Ben doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. One of My favorite South Park episodes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Watt could easily get more guaranteed $ from another team. Because of how owners and front offices have chose to handle contracts the players have no choice but to fight for guaranteed $ . Owners forced this on them selves.

The problem is the steelers stance is no longer relevant to the market...they're one of the only teams still trying to fight this battle that's already been lost. Other teams have already broke the market by giving $ past the first year. Watt can fairly say he deserves the most guaranteed $ of any LB in the league. Allow for a home town discount I guess and they should at least make it the 2nd most.

It's really the only thing the players have left to negotiate so Watt should maximize his value. He owes it to him self and the other players in the union. He's in the prime of his career. We let him walk then hope you all enjoy watching our secondary get destroyed on a weekly basis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Tj Watt is just not any Star player and we have to judge on this Era as players now think far differently than even 10 years ago. Ab did Stay at first. Leveon left. I guess you can put Heyward in that class though I don't think he is of this caliber but he certainly would've gotten a lot more money on the open market. I

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Najee Harris just tweeted a video of his sneakers, and in the back ground Derek Watt is heard talking to somebody and says

"Just because he signed so late you know, everything is going to be backtracked."

Is he talking about his brother?

Hell maybe he's talking about Leveon Bell hahaha.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    258 people on this website waiting to see if TJ is in pads.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Screenshot_20170626-180549.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Najee just posted something on IG and you could hear Derek Watt, in the background, saying,” Just because he signed so late, I guarantee you everything's going to be backtracked."

Is the deal done??

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Of course, if he hadn't said anything, he would be "leaving teammates out to dry".

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting to me that not one beat reporter has said if Watt is at practice or not. Almost as if they want the drama to drag out :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Screenshot_20210908-142257.png

• Like Like x 4
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I sense a great disturbance in the force like a thousand voices cried out in pain and were suddenly silent.....oh wait that's just Cleveland.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Props for using “countenance” as a verb!

:applaud:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why should he? In this case, he is right. He did take a pay cut, so I can understand his frustration watching the negotiations with Watt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really don't have the mastery of English to pull off the ridiculous argument you are trying to make there. You really are talking about entitlement, no matter how much you try to run away from the term. At least you understand the negative connotation of the word, so I will give you credit for that.

Your last paragraph just demonstrates the worship of pro athletes that permeates most of your posts. You truly have no idea the work that goes into other careers. To suggest that nothing compares to the work a pro athlete does to get there is pure ignorance on your part. I don't begrudge the insane salaries of pro athletes. They have rare skill sets that make them valuable. It isn't some moral imperative that they make a ton of money. You don't seem to understand that.

Letting Watt seek his torture elsewhere is not the right thing to do. The Steelers have a responsibility to themselves, the other players on the team, and the fans. They would be betraying all of those people by doing so. You are just too badly blinded by your hero worship of these guys to see it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Knew he’d be playing Sunday all along

upload_2021-9-8_15-25-25.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Per Bouchette, they're not allowed to report what they see on the practice field, they have to wait until post-practice interviews to get someone to say it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There ya go now strip sack allen.:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    In the end, if a guy fulfills his rookie deal he deserves to test free agency.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    His rookie deal includes 5th year option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He deserves whatever he can get within the rules. For Watt, that means finding a compromise with the Steelers or waiting to test free agency in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Not the right thing to do according to who? Plenty of people have bene criticizing the Steelers the last few days online indulgent their own fans for them not getting what the times and being stuck in their own ways.

Having "mastery" of the English language is not something I care about. And no I was not talking about entitlement and I wasn't even talking to you to begin with. But you can try to spin it as such for your own personal gratification.

I only said what is the right thing to do because this is what majority of the NFL in these cases does. If they don't pay the guy they trade him for compensation to whoever wants to pay him. Because you like the Steelers and are primarily concerned about what you feel is best for them, doesn't mean in the grand scheme of the NFL that this how business is typically conducted. I care about the bets interest of the players far more than these teams. The Steelers will still be playing football long after TJ Watt has parted this earth just like they were long before he arrived on this earth.

And everyone of your posts coincides with someone trying to deemphasize athletes and marginalize them at every turn you get. Also idk why you keep mentioning me supposedly "glorifying" them as if that's supposed to be negative or something.

And lol I see plenty of people around me who are non pro athletes and what it took for them to get to where they are in life. It's not the same. Talent matters but there's plenty of examples of talented guys who didn't make it due to not working hard enough and pekntly of guys who weren't very talented but got where they are due to hard work.. But to make yourself feel better about whatever you pursued in life you can try to compare it to what they do.

Like Michael Jordan said "hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard".