1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Off topic but I stopped watching baseball when Roger Clemons was like making more than the entire Brewer team at the time.

Whats worst is that the owner still got a cut every year of the profits ...even after putting out a crappy team every year because of how the MLB is set up...and then there is the guaranteed contracts. SMH

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ok what about every other player that’s on a one year contract or the last year of their contract? With this logic half the team would be holding out.
    JuJu just signed essentially a one year deal , should he refuse to practice?
    This **** is beyond annoying.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Like 10 million is chump change.
    At some point most every player ends up in their last year/contract year. At this point the only thing that could be keeping him from his extension is his own greed.
    His contract is going to exceed 100 million. What could he be holding out for, a couple more million? When you have that type of money what difference does a few million make?

I’ve gotta think that a lot of the time that these problems are maybe caused by these players agents.

Maybe non of this is even true? Maybe he’s injured and that’s why he’s not practicing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Do we have any idea how much money is being discussed? We all love TJ but I don't really want a $28M/year linebacker.

• Like Like x 3
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If he doesn't get $28M/year, his new deal should be close to it, that's the going rate for top edge rushers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Here is a news flash, it's the agent that's calling the shots.

Stop whining, it's business.

But every Steeler needs to toe the line for the fans pleasure and be a good sport right?!

Hometown discounts are a thing of the past.

I'm sure that the contract demand worded will for TJ to be the highest paid linebacker in the NFL.

He is the focal point of this Defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Myles Garrett got 5 years $125m I think that would be a fair deal for TJ, maybe a little extra on top of that but I think $30m a year is too much for any non QB

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Teams can cut players and break contracts if the player is underperforming, shouldn't the player be allowed to re-negotiate for more when he's overperforming?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If the Steelers don't extend him, they'll likely string him along on the Franchise Tag a year at a time, TJ naturally wants to avoid having no long term security every year.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dang. I'm so on the fence with this crap. LoL. I agree one way. Then the other. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Whether it is liked or not, a non QB will be making $30+ Million at some point or another; TJ Watt or someone else. It is inevitable at this point as that is what the market dictates. People thought that a non QB making $20+ Million was absurd until the Khalil Mack deal came into fruition; leading me with this point:

The performance of a player is directly tied to the market of their respective positions and its ascension. T.J. Watt is next in line to continue this ascension; an ascension that is not going to slow down ever due to the rise of the Salary Cap. If anything and, as crazy as this sounds, I would rather get the signing done this season as 2022 is going to feature an even bigger challenge thanks in part to that cap increase.

I would imagine that the Rooney's and T.J.s agent are working this out as we speak. There are no rumored or confirmed numbers of this but the holdup is likely due in part to the fully guaranteed amount that T.J. Watt wants up front. For reference, Joey Bosa received $78 Million up front at signing last season after his extension. At this point, I seriously believe that $83+ is not out of the question though that figure could be lower but not only than $78. This now leads me to the total amount that Bosa has currently; $102 Guaranteed in total. Now keep in mind that, the difference between fully guaranteed vs. guaranteed stems from the former being 100% of that players payment up front and the latter being based on specific circumstances like injuries. Add in the likely $30+ Million Dollar mark that T.J. will get annually and all signs pointing to it happening anyway.

The biggest reason though T.J. Watt will reset the entire Defensive Player Market though has to do with one critical component; leverage. T.J. Watt is the engine and arguably the transmission of the Steelers pass rush. Taking him away greatly cripples that; something Keith Butler clearly does not want to happen. As much as I believe that Minkah is the most valuable defensive player the team has, T.J. Watt is, without a doubt, the most important. Losing him means losing an exponential level of that pass rush; something that will be counted on given the fact that Baker, Joe and Lamar all are not going anywhere any time soon.

Long story short? The Rooney's have learned their lesson from letting a HOF Player in their prime walk. They will not repeat the same mistake twice with T.J. Watt.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Rooney should bite the bullet & guarantee TJ's full contract. Do that with all your allpros. One aspect of franchising that the Rooney's get wrong imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I’d agree the overall APY is probably the easy part to agree on, it’s the guarantees and cash flow aspects is where negotiations could be very difficult.

I just hope they get a deal done soon. I admire TJ for being silent on the matter and causing any public drama in relation to his contract but it has to be a distraction for him at the same time.

I don’t blame him whatsoever for sitting out teams drills etc and I’d imagine the team is also fine with it. An injury for him now could cost him tens of millions.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not to worry. A deal will get done.

If anything, expect some movement within talks within the next 5 to 7 days; 10 tops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    If he gets hurt now then he potentially loses out on probably 5-10x his 5th year salary in guarantees. If it drags out for more than a few more weeks without him practicing then it will be a concern. If they can't reach an agreement then who knows what happens but there is always potential for it to get ugly.

16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yup, and he just watched Bud get hurt in a contract year. Bud still got paid, but would have gotten more if he played all 16 games.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is getting cumbersome. We need him practicing in live situations.

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The more money these people make the more worthless my wages make me feel. I'm by no means dirt poor but have you seen the prices of used pick ups lately? Players making a $100,000,000 to play a game and it still isn't enough for them to run to the negotiating table.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    TJ is great and all that . But we haven`t won anything in the 4 years he has been here. We are going to struggle the next few years without a franchise QB .Trade him for a boat load of picks. He can get $30mill per year and have his 10-15 sacks elsewhere. We already got the best he has to offer .

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We held the cowboys to 3 points without him, we don’t need him.

• Like Like x 2
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would keep him but yeah if he demands too much then no. We need a qb first

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    His season starts in Buffalo ....tag him next year ...if he ask for too much money, tag him again in 2023 or trade him

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Also set back the pass rush as well. He has to be accounted for. Every Snap! Elite!

Nor with Ben. Or anyone else on this team at the time.

Huh? You can't be serious. The best he has to offer should have won him DPOY last season. and he was in the running the year before. He came in and improved from the gate unlike someone that used to be on this roster. He is worth the coin. Elite pass rushers don't grow on trees. Look at the other salaries of elite pass rushers. Please.

They need to wrap this up this season because Minkah's contract is in play in 22.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Wow, you're really all-in on the tear down and rebuild bandwagon. Like Dolphins style.

• Like Like x 1
  25. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He was on the field yesterday at training camp. He participated until they did starting O vs starting D - then he did sprints and worked one on one with one of the coaches. It didn't really bother me. He was still working hard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1