1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tired of the drama

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    One of the thing I look forward to is a quiet off season, with some scholarly debate about draft picks. This year, it is Ben's veiled retirement comments, Brown's inability to stay off Facebook, speculation about Bryant returning clean, Bell's being hurt, and who knew about it. Looks like this off-season is going to more exciting than I hoped.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just how far has the Steelers ORG fallen? I think Dan/Art Rooney needs to address the whole organization going forward. Lets tighten this ship,from grooming on down lets look at at
    the whole picture.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

:this!:

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It depends where you think they've fallen from. In an era of social media and 24 hour coverage of the NFL, there will be 'stories' all off season that you simply never heard in past times.

It's not like there haven't been contract disputes, retirement decisions and questionable off-field activities before.

I sympathise with the OP but all we've had so far is the usual fallout at the end of a season. Journalists will soon find some other "controversies" to focus on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I think its more a society issue. A lot harder to find character individuals than in past generations. The front office is likely trying but more likely to swing and miss in today's times

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Really, who are we going to emulate? The Patriots don't really have this kind of social media drama, but they have recently had a mass murderer as a star TE, and welcomed back a guy after he killed someone driving drunk. They've been caught cheating not once, but twice, in years that they won the Super Bowl. The Giants are a true model franchise, and look at their recent drama with the WR corp prior to their playoff loads, not to mention that their star offensive player is a temperamental cheap shot artist the redefines the word "Diva."

Yeah, I don't like the drama in the media either, but it's just a sign of the times. All teams have it. We're just more sensitive to our drama because we focus on our team.

The only drama that I've seen recently that I care about is the big, stinking turd that we left on the field in Foxboro. That turd was so big that they may need to cancel preseason games there next year because the groundskeepers are still trying to remove it. That's the drama that bugs me, and that's what needs to be fixed. The other stuff is just noise. If we had won Sunday, or even lost a close game where we pushed them to the wire, this other stuff wouldn't be bothering as many people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What AB does is stupid, immature and annoying, but it's not malicious. He's not doing drugs, he's not beating women, he's not getting hand cuffed outside a strip club at 3am. It's irritating, but that's about all.

ABs stupid behavior is hardly a measure of 'how far the Stiller Organization has fallen'. If he has big game vs NE, nobody says boo about the Facebook video.

Lev Bell has two violations of the NFL drug policy, JPeezy a 40-yr old man get taken hauled off after a bar scuffle, yet AB draws the outrage. Go figure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    how do you police it? can each franchise set rules different from the league? for instance if they said, no more social media for any player. can they do that? if so then I am for it. I have a cousin who works at a law firm in Atlanta. they are not allowed to have social media accounts of any kind. they sign a contract and I believe he said a violation means termination.

I am sure the rooneys do not want to take this stance. I mean its not the kind of people they are. I think that they operate the old way. you show us respect and we will you. the problem is that doesn't work today. I am starting to sound like my father but this generation feels entitled. they want respect without earning it or returning it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    For me personally, I have a hard time with the suspensions for drugs. The marijuana debate is a whole other issue. The fact that they decided not to follow the rules and get suspended just makes them unlikable to me.

I want to like some of our players the same way I liked the Bus our Hines Ward, but so far I just can't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I completely understand this sentiment!

And let me throw one other "food for thought" item out there. Has LeGarette Blount had any drug/discipline issues under Belichick in NE? I think the players on the Steelers like Tomlin, but I don't think the players have the kind of respect for Tomlin that players need to have. There needs to be a certain dynamic in an organization in which the player has a certain level of respectful reverence for the coach. My honest assertion is that we don't have that on our team.

My ultimate coach is Chuck Noll and you can be sure that he was highly respected and maybe even feared just a little bit, which isn't a bad thing. He had that aura about him. No social media back then but I guarantee when he spoke in the locker room the players listened to what he had to say. He wasn't just white noise like Tomlin appeared to be with several of the players.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Get back to me when Tomlin has a murderer in his locker room.

Really sounds like Heyward doesn't respect Tomlin, sure. There was a few people not with the rest of the team and that somehow becomes the whole team tuning Tomlin out.

Don't mistake fear for respect. Doesn't sound like Welker had much respect for Bill.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    They like him, I don't believe they have a reverent respect for him. He's their buddy.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So you don't respect people you like, Jack? Interesting, your friends and family aware of this :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    They respect him in a "buddy" sort of way. ;)

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Read what Labriola says on this. Given he's around the team facilities most of the time, he has a good insight - and has debunked the whole "friend not coach" several times.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

You're not entirely on the wrong path, a healthy dose of fear probably goes a long way in the locker room. I dont think they fear Tomlin and thats where liking him may come into play.

I think they totally respect him though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    All teams deal with drama to some extent. The Steelers are a marquee franchise and an article is guaranteed a lot of clicks. Our distraction stuff will always be front page.

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Sounds like a winner, I still feel there needs to be more discipline involved thru out the organization in all different facets.
    I hope Art and Dan will look into this this off season. We need to tighten the ship.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Cheerleader....