1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

timmons

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    tryin to get some thoughts on the timmons situation. are we wasting his talents at OLB? could he be more help inside this week? could carter and worilds handle the outside spots? even sylvester? any thoughts? :cool:

2. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Carter has a lot of speed but he does not seem to have the strength to burst through although he will be playing against Michael Orher who is dumb as a rock so that may help.

Timmons is best when he can roam as he is a sure tackler.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i read early on in camp this year that they are a little higher on carter then worilds but the stregnth is the problem. they said he would need to get on the weights this year. the speed off the edge is amazing though compared to worilds, who just hasen't shown that he is ready for that role. converted DE's do sometimes take a little longer to grasp the position. the pass rush part of it is not the major problem for either guy, i don't think, it's the rest of the assignments of the position. if they can sack flacco this week,i'd be happy with that part of they're game. :cool:

4. PitJax

PitJax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My first post in the new forum. Love it!
    Timmons is best at mlb, and there is the chance that Harrison may be back.
    Let Carter play for Woodley. Worilds has been a disappointment and always injured.
    What I would do, to protect Harrison, is let Timmons play olb and move Harrison to
    mlb with Foote (or Farrior). Then use Carter to replace Woodley.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I heard Carter was was a little light in camp too, but he sure looked like he had good size when he got in there against the PAT's.

I would like to see the two young OLB's play a game together and see what they can do. Moving guys out of position works to a point and then eventually it will just hurt you. Tunch and Wolfe were talking about moving Keisel to OLB for this game, and in theory it sounds good, but I''m not sure how that would work in reality.

6. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    having Timmons at OLB is like putting Troy at CB.

Timmons like Troy is at his best when he can roam around and read the defense and anticipate whats gonna happen. at OLB Timmons is gonna either try and rush the qb or try and cover a guy. there is no mystery and the opposing offense can always account for him.

they need to get Timmons back to MLB and let someone else play OLB.

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I too think Timmons should be back at ILB and the OLB should be Worilds, Sylvester and Carter. Use Timmons to cover rice on his side of the field and Polamalu on the other side. If they aren't pursuing Rice, get after Flacco.

8. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like the sounds of this. I really hope Worilds can get and stay healthy with that quad injury. He showed a lot of promise last year and god knows they can really use him now. Time for him to step it up!
    I don't think Harrison will be back to play just yet this week. Good sign that he is able to practice, but he isn't hitting and I think that is at least another game away.
    Woodley is a mystery. I have not seen/heard any report that clearly states what is wrong with his hamstring. That bit on NFL.com where he came in behind the report to mess around he was running in place and goofing around. I did hear one comment on a clip that he just had a cramp. I don't know...I hope he can go, but only if he is close to 100% and not risking more long term damage.

At any rate if Worilds or Harrison can go then we should see Timmons back at MLB and that would be good for this game!

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i wonder if ivy will see much PT? he's not a rookie and think he has some time as an olb under his belt also. so does sylvester. maybe they move em around and keep fresh legs at different positions throughout. timmons can rush flacco up the middle too. :superman: :cool:

10. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If Worilds is able to go, do you think we start Worilds and Carter at OLB and let Timmons move back inside? That's obviously a lot of inexperience on the outside, but as others have said, playing ILB is where Timmons can utilize his strengths much more.

11. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the answer is yes if Worilds can go. However, I wouldn't be suprised to still see Timmons line up outside some of the time when Worilds is not in the game.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd like to see Ivy get some playing time. I wouldn't say he's been "impressive", but I do think there's a lot of potential there. That said - isn't he still on the practice squad, or has he been moved up?

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think I saw that he was moved up a few days ago actually.

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Aha - presumably to cover the injuries. Would make sense.

I think I also just like his name - "Mortly" sounds like a member of the Addams family...

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    LOL. I think it was Thing's real first name.

16. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Timmons was dafted to be an OLB he was going to be Porters replacement didnt know what we had in JH at the time he will do fine on the outside

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    That's fine down the road to REdevlop him in that roll. He just started to really shine (or get it) at ILB and now thrown into that other spot and he really isn't impressing or being very effective somehow. maybe if in a normal off season he can be good over there, but it seems he's not plug and play yet and maybe never will. Maybe he will be Harrison like in a few years. It seemed to take James a while to come into his own.

That being said. At this point in time in this season, we need him to be effective and in what is now his natural position. He can be the guy that can contain Rice. Not so much if he's rushing on designed screens, designed run plays that look pass, bootlegs, and some broken plays. As a ILB he can adjust much better.

I said in another thread that I think he could be Rice's cover guy on his side of the field and Polamalu can work the other as a design. They both have the skills to be most effective on him. IMO...

18. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    his natural position is OLB! he has only played inside for only like 2 years

19. harrisonisscary

harrisonisscary Member

Nov 2, 2011
    the first couple of weeks everyone on the boards were talking about how horrible timmons is at mlb, and should be moved to olb. Well he was moved, and has anyone even heard his name mentioned in the past month? Cause i havent. he is a great ILB and still young by the way. Completely ineffective at OLB, I agree with everyone else hes like troy let him roam use his skills and instincts as a tackler. He's not a pass rusher.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i thought he was brought up last week. :cool:

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  22. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, I know, that's why I said redevelop using a capital RE, but since he's been here (4 years now?) he's been ILB, so for lack of a better word I used natural. Maybe I'm wrong, but he NOW seems more comfortable and effective in that roll. So maybe that's now his natural position. I don't know...

That being said. At this point in time in this season, we need him to be effective and in what is now his natural position. He can be the guy that can contain Rice. Not so much if he's rushing on designed screens, designed run plays that look pass, bootlegs, and some broken plays. As a ILB he can adjust much better.

23. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This has been said already, but Timmons is best at ILB. I agree that putting him at OLB is like putting Troy at CB. Possibly worse. He's good enough to get the job done and not be a big fat weak link, but he's never going to make a play there. He won't make an impact.

Making an impact is what he does in the middle, where he is best suited to play. He was drafted to play outside, but he's best suited for inside. We're lucky we had Harrison and were forced to stick Timmons inside, where after a learning curve, he soared in his natural position.

When he plays outside, we suffer at two positions. Can't wait for our outside guys to get healthy.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It will be a moot point, Silverback will be back in action this week.
    he will get SOME playing time atleast. They will leave Timmons on the outside
    untill Silverback gets his sea legs back.Also Farrior is a posssbility this week.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    wasen't he active for last weeks game though? at least he would have a couple of weeks of more meaningful practice. he did play pretty well in preseason. i like the kid and hope he can bring some pain to be served with rice. :superman: :hehehe: :cool: