1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Timmons will visit the dolphins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SanDiegoSteel, Mar 8, 2017.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And in this corner wearing the Black & Gold trunks, PWP. And in the other corner it's RPO IZSB...

Calm down boys, we all know that Timmons has cement shoes in coverage and we need to get younger and faster to cover the scheme that Butler wants to run. You don't need a playbook for that, only eyes to see...

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The game is not that simpl

3. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    The boxing analogy is pretty poor... unless you were alluding to Tyson vs McNeely

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree peeps been making it much more than they should ..If I was calling the D I would have a 5-6 called on 3rd. and 18 with no lb's ..I might blitz one I might not , but the yard to gain would be covered by at least 4 players leaving 1 or 2 guys deep....Simple Football you can throw it short all you want , but any throw you make from 16 to 20 yards is a mistake..

5. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    The way the market is going I expect timmons to chase the money,

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats actually a pet peeve of mine. I cringe when I hear that or its not rocket science. The game has changed a lot since the 70's, its not your daddy's NFL anymore.

I think most fans would think they were reading Chinese if they had to learn an NFL playbook and the assignments attached to them.

7. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I get that in your imagination standing 4 defenders flat at the sticks would be an actual way of defending successfully. Anyone with a shred of experience knows that's a laughable approach

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Actually I thought it was pretty funny. You two were going blow for blow...Get it?

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    On every pass play players must drop somewhere and when you have 18 to go a drop to 20 in Quarters is a good start..Dropping to 8 is a mistake dropping to 25 is a mistake..Had the QB took the proper drop he could have and should have picked off a 18 yard pass..

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He thinks he is Tyson of the NFL...I will give him that on schemes and thought process,but as far as actual Football 101 with Heart goes I am Ali ...

11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Wrong.

Given the play in question. The Steelers ran cover 3, and doubled the seams. A very good coverage call. On that play, the QB is forced to make a post snap read. That post snap read combined with the depth required for the WR to execute the 18 yard dig, combines to provide time for the pass rush to disrupt the play as well. Not needing to get a sack, just needing enough to move the QB and disrupt the timing.

Ross played it near perfectly as schemed, and the lack of any pressure in brady's face or at his feat allowed him to sit comfortably and drill a perfect ball.

12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Your comprehension of an analogy is almost as bad as your comprehension of football.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So on 3rd, and 18 you think pressure is the key ? I see that in a different light..The key is protecting the yard to gain and Quarters coverage with cover guys are required..Had Ross played it perfect he would have allowed the possible deeper throw as he had 3 guys behind him and protected the 16 to 20 range...When he hit the 20 he should have been driving back to the yard to gain...Had he did that he would have stepped right in front of the WR and took it to the house.....That would have been a perfect play..

Allowing a 19 yard pass on 3rd. and 18 is not acceptable even if you rush no one...

14. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You don't understand route combinations, the space they create, and how it relates to coverage responsibilities

I'm actually baffled by how confident you are in your cluelessness

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    F the route combo...Read the QB and protect the line to gain ..Again simple Football don't get out Coached, protect the damn marker...

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

While the game seems simple enough to understand due to the televised nature, the fact is that every single component within each team in each formation for each player is quite complex.

It takes genuis leveled people who have not only immersed themselves within the sport to understand their own strengths and its oppositions but also understand how each weakness can be exploited.

Of course.. there are the "prodigy" level players who are so adept at their part game that everything that even an expericend level players of the same position find difficult easy to understand; some even restorting to instinct after instanenously idefiniting opponents weakness.. amd not just from a formation standpoint either.

All the more reason fan based superlatives like "cushions" are quite humorous. :lolol:

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    This is getting funny... Can't wait for the season to start

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, read the Qb, protect the line to gain, get beat for a 50 yard TD, good job coach.

"Simple football, don't get outcoached" is an oxymoron

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If your going to give up 19 on 3rd. and 18 you might as well give up the 50 yards at least the O gets the ball back quicker..Football has a lot to do with Heart and watching a Team need 19 and not making a play kills the moral...A big play as you say is just that a big play ,players expect that..What you don't expect is soft coverage that allows a guy to run exactly enough to catch it for the 1st. down..

Why would that Team want to go deep ? Just call what you want, wait til you need 22 and run it for 23 and keep driving down the field...That play was exactly the moment Brady and Bill knew they could do whatever they wanted...News Flash ..That is what Defense is about..Stop them from doing what they want...

20. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Just try reading what you type and then thinking "does this sound stupid?"

The first sentence is the dumbest thing you've written in the last 3 hours.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I believe that the "gloves will come off" by then. :lolol:

Getting back on topic, should Lawrence Timmons not be a Steeler by the time free agency period is over, I thank him for his services and wish him all the best.

A rock solid player who, in his prime, got overshadowed by the likes of Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman and many others. Does not mean he was a bad player by any means. It just means that he was underrated outside of the Steelers fanbase. Ten solid years of production. What more could one ask for?

Best wishes should he go. Otherwise, business as usual in the offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I to wish him the best...Oh and I hope him and Ross have a special Friendship so he can go with him..

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I take it then that, due to our previous discussion regarding Mr. Cockrell, you want him gone?

I understand that such an opinion is yours to have and rightfully so. I do however, would like to ask you this:

What could have Cockrell done in the AFC Championship Game that would have heightened defensive success?

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After very careful review the only thing he could have done is moved to the slot ...He has some skill I value , but his inability to play man on the outside and make splash plays helps keep this D average at best...

Really that is why I want him gone because of those things and the Steelers will keep him outside and never try an upgrade the spot until it's to late....I would like it if he stays on the condition he takes Gays spot..

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you are over exaggerating the amount of times this happens. They were a game away form the SB, the bend but dont break defense that fans hate, obviously works better than it gets credit for.

Yes, they failed miserably against NE, so do a lot of teams.

And I whole heartedly disagree with its better to give up a 50 yard TD then a 19 yard first down on 3rd and 18. Keep making them move the sticks. Im sure there were more times than not that they ended up forcing a punt after giving up such first downs.