1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Timmons back next year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rambro, Jan 5, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure!!! Wouldn' t mind having Timmons back he' s true Steeler!!! One exception though...he needs to take care of those butter flies/Jeter's can' have him barfing through his face mask and all over the playing field.:dancing::puking 4:

3. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Id take him over Moats as a depth guy but yeah, someone will likely be willing to pay him starter money. But you never know. Remember how long we rolled with Foote/Farrior?

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would say no as well . I would rather get a over sized SS and convert him into a slash type LB . We need more speed and more coverage from the LB spot Timmons would be going the wrong direction at this juncture .

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    kyzir white from WVU. :hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Then we need to draft this guy Roquan Smith, he's a shazier clone, same smaller size 6-1 225 and same 4.5 speedster as shaz, even if shaz plays again it wouldnt hurt to have both of them on the field together, speed kills....

Roquan Smith he is a ILB that could be in our draft range in the 1st round he has 4.5 speed same as shazier, and is the heart of that Georgia defense he is the closest player to shazier in the draft, and has the 3-4 college defense experience we want.....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    shazier was in the 4.3 range. close but still not that kind of speed. he was special in that way that will be very hard to come by. i do like smith though. if you go into the draft room and look at the ILB thread i have a few others that do very well in coverage. not near the speed but have some skills for the position as well. i am also with PWP on this one about the bigger SS and moving then inside. there are some guys in this draft that we could do that with. probably not that big of a jump as this hybrid defense continues to morph to keep up with the O trends. :cool:

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No way in hell he cannot do what we need our ilb's to do. Someone pull up the treads about LT after our playoff loss to the Cheats last year, I think that will refresh everyone why Timmons is gone and should not be brought back. Loved him when he was here but he lost not a step but a few.......

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Smith says he will run a sub 4.4 at the combine and he has an amazing 124 total tackles in the SEC this year, if he is around when we pick he has to be considered however he is probably going to go a lot sooner than 30 or 32.........

10. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I definitely would rather have Timmons than moats for depth...but neither as a starter..Timmons could still bring something to the table,as where moats does nothing...He's just a great locker room guy

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed but we are not getting Timmons for what we are paying Moats or Spence and to be a back up don't make sense to spend any more right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Moats signed a 3 year 7.5 million dollar contract...with 1.9 bonus...in 2015..which looking at that now seems a bit crazy for his play on the field....Timmons will be playing for way less I presume next season...how much less who knows

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    All depends on the teams that are interested in him. If nobody wants him we could sign him for vet min since the fish would be paying he 5.4 mil.

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah, just as a stop gap backup through the rest of the year.

I would

15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Come on home Law Dog

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't you know the Steelers are OBLIGATED to re-sign all players who have been released, traded or left via free agency should they become available? Bryant McFaddin, William Gay, Sean Spence are all examples of this. It's a given, if Timmons is released, he will be wearing the Black & Gold again next season. :smiley1:

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It would be fine if he is signed as a cheap backup. I'd rather have him out there than the guys we currently have backing up at ILBer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They play different positions. Timmons wasn't effective when he had to play outside a few years ago and Moats is a back-up 3 spots down the line in the middle and only because he played it before in Buffalo.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Currently they don't and that is what we are talking about, our ILB position. Right now we have Spence, Fort, Moats and Dirty Red. I would take LT over all of them and I am a big Dirty Red fan. I just don't want to see LT come back here as a starter and I don't want to pay an arm and leg for a back up here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yea, I hear ya :lolol:. My only hesitation with bringing him back is that if it comes down to LT and a younger player, they will put in LT first because he's "old reliable". When maybe the younger guy could improve exponentially if given the game snaps. If RS50 is out for next year (or unfortunately his career), I'd rather go young and hungry than old reliable. That's just me though. I'll live with some mistakes early on in the season if that's what it takes.

21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They have released playets before and bought them back after a year.
    But, with that being said, if we don't start getting these studs from the SEC...then we will always be looking for an nfl ready player on defense

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Under the Dick LeBeau defense, you're exactly right. But Butler has shown a willingness to put young players in when they demonstrate that they are ready to go. That was one beef I always had with LeBeau, he failed to get younger players involved early in their careers. It was almost like you HAD to pay your dues first before you could step foot on the field.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is a bit of a myth. While DL was loyal to his vets, rookies were starting to get on the field quicker during his final years here.

What prevented them from seeing the field prior to those last couple years was the talent in front of them.

There's no one in front of the rookies anymore, no reason they wouldn't see the field now. Who was going to keep Bud off the field? Who was going to keep Burns and Davis off? You might be able to make a case that Watt wouldnt have seen as much playing time with JH here but I think his play would have rendered it impossible not to get him on the filed a lot.

JH almost certainly would have seen some playing time though.

• Agree Agree x 1