1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to Cut Ben and move on!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    honestly I have no idea why people think like this.

True, Ben will retire, but we have some great pieces, especially on D, for many years to come.

draft and build up a new special qb or fa and we’re still in the mix for a while.

again, there are 32 teams in the league, feeling bad because we aren’t guaranteed a top 5 team each year isn’t the way to live life. We def can field a dangerous team that can make the playoffs and get hot.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Holy rip roarin ****!
    1. You're certain Ben will be under center:eek:
    2. You are worried about the Bengals:facepalm:
    3. You think Baker Maynot is better than Ben:roflmao:
    4. You see Tomlin as the bright spot in the Steelers future:huh::lolol::eek::facepalm:
    Just .............. WOW!

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The issue lies in the dead money and its huge. None of us know at this point how Ben is going to recover if at all. Its wait and see. If he can come back and at least lead this team another year great. Another injury and it's time for him to go. The contract is the killer. But yes, the end is near. Face it.

4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    That's pretty much the whole internet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yes Ben will be under center barring injury
    Bengals are going to get that kid from LSU, he will change the Bengals for the better, not right away but it's coming.
    Baker had a bad sophomore season, many greats in all sports have had that happen. Better then Ben now not in Ben's prime.
    Just can't see Tomlin having a terrible season but not sold on that.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

To me the money is already spent. Just rip the bandaid off and be done with it. At least that way we have another 8 million in cap space this year. Give Mason an opportunity to crash or burn. At least this year we should have a relatively healthy squad. If he sucks we draft in the top 5-10 and find a replacement.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    There is no option. Ben will play at least one more year with us. If Mason panned out and looked like a starter and not injury prone, then I would probably agree to move on.

Now that we know Ben had ligament problems, I would throw out his brief performance for the 2019 season. Everything seems destined for Ben to get another year no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    No matter how good Borrow is the Bengals are horrible and one guy can't change that.

Mayfield is 12-17 with a supposed supremely talented team, he made OBJ, Jarvis Landry, and the top RB in the league look bad, and he is a head case. He is no where near Ben.......now or ever!

Tomlin is a great non-loser:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    When Ben goes pouncey can go too.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This guy is a year late & a dollar short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with the first part but where is the rise from the fan base? I mean a guys posts the article here on a message board and anyone with half a brian knows it is hog wash.......I don't think it worked at all. If anything it killed the guys credibility, jmo.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Mark it down and make this a holiday you and I agree.........:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I keep reading around here something about this part of the article:

And Mariota is a wild card, but the 2015 No. 2 overall pick is also only 26, and he'd likely come a lot cheaper than the rest of those guys because he was benched for Tannehill in 2019.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ben gives the Steelers the best chance of winning. Without Ben, that chance goes to slim and none with the duck, deer, and bag of dicks on the roster behind him.

No Ben = Malone, Stoudt, Woodley, Campbell, Brister, Blackledge, Tomczak version 2.0. Embrace the suck ladies and gentlemen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Really??????
    We've all seen the offensive dynamic with Rudolph and duck at the helm and you don't see what that has to do with the foolishness of cutting Ben????? Come on man!!!!!

17. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    He's not going anywhere. However i have been saying (and getting ridiculed for it) since he went out last year. If you think the guy who has had one of the arguably laziest work ethics (why do you think he comes into camp looking out of shape, and then proceeds to not play in pre season and use several games of the season to shake off the off season rust) is going to put in all the required work to truly rehab this injury then i have some ocean front property to sell ya on the moon. When you mix in His work ethic, the abuse he has taken, his age (which age and abuse compound each other) and it really does not bode well for Bens future as a football player. Even if at 37/38 yrs old Ben decides to work harder than he ever has before to rehab this injury the ceiling for what he can be is not very high.

I get it none of us really want to think of life without ben (especially with the QB's currently on the roster. But Ben's best days are behind him. And as the homers that we all are for the most part we just dont want to accept it but the logic is sound and the past patterns of behavior say that this is not gonna end well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah after the 2021 season

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think you and I are on the same page? Cutting Ben is pure foolishness.................right?

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They still have over $20 million in cap space taken up by Roethlisberger. There is no reason not to let him give it a go in 2020. Rudolph didn't show nearly enough to justify making him the starter and cutting Roethlisberger doesn't create enough cap space to sign a quality veteran to compete for the job.

21. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Maybe Bell and Brown were so good because of Ben. Certainly Bell hasn't done anything since he left and Connor didn't have a steller season without him either, though some due to injury. It's hard to say with Brown because he's a head case and sabatoged his post-Steelers career before he could get going. Ben threw for 5,000+ in 2018 and 2019 was likely already tainted with his elbow strain in the 1.5 games he played. He's always been a gun slinger who threw lots of picks. Having a crap defense in 2018 didn't help since he had the throw a ton of passes.

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Bell and Brown were great players that complemented each other, the run opens up the pass and vice versa, when you have great players at both positions you can dictate coverages and have the defence constantly on the back foot, it makes everyone on offence look better, Ben included. I don’t think any one of the trio was the sole catalyst for their production, the defence at the time unfortunately often undermined what they were doing. Imagine having this defence with them and Ben at the height of their powers.

All three are past their best now, there are rumblings that Bell and / or Brown might return but I hope they don’t. They had their time and now the team needs to move on.

They don’t need superman Ben now, they need a guy who can read coverages, call plays at the line if necessary (Rudolph and especially Duck couldn’t do this) and make some plays when needed. If the Steelers do nothing else this off season they need to find a way to bolster the line and give him a running game to lean on. I note with interest that the Falcons are cutting Davonte Freeman for cap reasons, could be a nice cheap one year rental that can make an impact day one. If they can also get 12-13 games out of Conner as well that might do it. Go OLine in the draft then.

• Like Like x 1
  23. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Exactly

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I hate semantics:smiley1:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011