1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Dec 10, 2018.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That’s his fifth year option. There’s nothing keeping us signing him to a longer term contract that pays less than that per year.... that’s what I’m saying we should do. Something between Brandon Graham’s 6.5 and Brian Orakpo’s 7.5 per year?

2. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    If we retain Tomlin a lot has to change. First get rid of DC Butler and Porter. We have not improved what so ever with them. Second fire Smith get a real special teams coach as we are last in the league in that department again. Hire a clock and challenge coach for Tomlin other teams do this. And he needs to focus on just coaching the team nothing else. Finally let Colbert draft his guys no influence from Tomlin and make Tomlin accountable he’s been skating for years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think he's worth 9.2mil, 7.5mil, 6.5mil ect. If he can get that kind of money somewhere else, I think he should.

4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Way to go Vikings!
    Fired their OC,

• Like Like x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    …...and Norv Turner killed THREE franchises. Sometimes it never happens.

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don’t support cleaning house. A few surgical incisions here and there to trim the fat is all we need, mostly focused on the defensive coaching staff. We aren’t getting crushed out there, just happened to lose three games in a row in some comical fashion.

Saying goodbye to Butler would be the most impactful move we could make. Ideally, if it wouldn’t be so dang weird, we’d just demote him back to LB coach and hire some outsider as DC. If it wasn’t a huge jump I’d love to see Dave Aranda from LSU as our DC.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Canning Butler fixes one problem but leaves more. The biggest problem is the approach to game planning led by Tomlin where nothing changes what they want to do. Tony Dungy look at the Chargers game for a week and he pointed out the biggest way to attack Butler's defense by moving Allen to the slot and forcing a LB to cover him. How do you ignore that glaring problem and then try to make excuses about players available to you. It's just ridiculous to even think about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Talking about Coaches...What's y'alls opinion on Carl Dunbar...This was a hot topic coming into the season,replacing the longtime highly touted ( at least Pittsburgh wise ) John Mitchell

I haven't really seen a difference...The DL is still the best out of the 3 levels ( I know, not saying much ) But they have been solid imo...Gravedigger looks like he has made some strides...Tuitt, But he was basically playing with 1 arm last year...And Heyward is Heyward...Solid/ Good...Alualu solid backup...

I would still like to see 1 more solid disruptive DL to rotate...The real good defenses of the past few years...Philly, Denver,Atl ( that 1 year ) rotated 5-6 very good players...Keeping everyone fresh and disruptive...

It's hard ( nearly impossible ) to be good with depth at every position, no team is...We have bigger needs at LB ( inside and outside ) secondary " obviously " and backup RB...Bell basically caused this because we had no backup plan...

Opinions?

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Our team is way overrated and really not that good. Our only win so far this year against a team with a winning record is Baltimore. One win. OL is ok but I wouldn't classify them as being one of the best, not after the past few weeks. Once we realize what we really are and stop listening to all of the hype earlier in the season, plus factor in the poor coaching staff, we are right where we are supposed to be. If I am wrong, then we should win Sunday as it is desperation time and we should get a win at home.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Correct but norv on no level won as a head coach. He did win rings as the coordinator in Dallas but not hard when you have irvin, aikman, emmitt.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I said someone like Saban. Nick Saban is never going to leave college football for the Pro's.
    That ship has sailed. But I wouldn't mind if the Steelers hired a 35 year old Nick clone.

12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin = hard to NOT win Super Bowls

Ben Roethlisberger, Le’veon Bell, Antonio Brown = ???

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Remember when people were saying stop drafting LB in the first round? :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think he can and should get that 6.5-7.5 here... you’d be hard pressed to find a starting caliber player that’s not on their rookie deal making much less than that. 6.5 a year isn’t much really in today’s nfl. Especially for a pass rusher. Dupree is a fine player. He may not be the stud we wanted in the first round, but he’s proven himself as a quality 7-8 sack a year kind of guy, solid against the run and in coverage etc.

We transition tagged Jason Worilds and Dupree is every bit as good, if not better than him...

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    john fox HC. dom capers DC. keep fichtner, munch, dunbar, bradley, saxon, daniels, drake, sarrett. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yes fire them all!

And bring in ?????

I really need to start doing business with some of you people. I need yacht to spend weekends in.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah truth we have vastly underachieved with those 3 but that's norv as a coordinator. Tomlin as a head coach is no where near jimmy johnson. He's barry switzer esque. They also had a far better defense than we have had. They had Charles haley, darren woodson, ken Norton, etc... and then they got the best cover corner ever in 95.

18. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Jimmy Johnson

• Like Like x 1
  19. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I get why a lot of people keep saying this ,but think of a reverse situation ..Tomlin gets fired and gets hired by insert any other team ..
    How does he do there ?If he can't make the talent he has here now on offense (Which at this point is arguably one of the NFL's best ,right?) how does he do with a less talented team.
    I Honestly think it doesn't matter anymore ,he has failed miserably with what he has /had ..How could any other coach do any worse..I think this team as a whole has underachieved !
    Imagine what other coaches might have accomplished with this talent at their disposal .oh the possibilities .

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You can charter ours......

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    We have been known to party......

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Dupree is good for a couple tackles a game, a (small) handful of sacks a season. He never draws a double team, or even an RB chip. 1 career int. I would think the same production could be found at a much greater value through the draft or FA. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have given names of people in the past. The Rooney's will know who to bring in.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    People ares so afraid of change. What's gonna happen we win only 2 playoff games in the next 8 years. The never had a losing record excuse is so worn out. What has that gotten us besides low draft picks every year with no chance at selecting any elite talent on D. IMO I would rather have some down years with a chance to reload the team. I would have faith in the organization to be able to build it back up. Right now we are stuck in mediocrity. At least based on our performance on the field.

Some of you guys are claiming that the ones questioning Tomlin and his future are too emotional over 1 game. Has anyone been paying attention the last 7-8 years. A coach whose most talked about attribute,the ability to motivate his men has guys coming out claiming they are " sleepwalking ".during a playoff push.
    Everyone has faith in the Rooneys but not when it comes to selecting another HC? So at what point is he held accountable? Only after a losing record? When the bottom falls completely out and Ben is gone? Does Tomlin get to stay for the rebuild too? Or soon as that record dips below.500 he's automatically gone? If we finish 8-7-1 and out of the playoffs do we continue to say he should stick around because he still didn't have a losing record? Even though we have beaten exactly 1 team with a winning record so far....

I think part of the problem is that some of you guys think the criticism is personal. I root for my sports teams to win championships and irrational or not to me it's championship or bust. That's why I'm passionate about my teams succes. I don't care who leads us to the ultimate goal. It's just this team is heading down the wrong path to mediocrity. I would rather take a chance with a new voice and a new message. Some fresh ideas and schemes.
    Anyone who is not lying to themselves can't say they are happy with the direction this team is heading under this current regime. I would rather take a chance and be wrong then sit back,do nothing and be happy with non losing seasons and nothing else to show for it....

Trust me I would love for Tomlin to be the one to right the ship but how long have we been saying that?
    It's not happening and it's hard to imagine at this point he will be able too. At this point you can say he's directly responsible for losing us games with his decision making. X-Ray Gate and his butchering of the TOs are just the latest examples. When it gets to the point where your coach is helping the team lose as opposed to helping them win. It might be the right time for some change.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1